History Quiz III (with rules)

Parsifal

The Hubristic Chosen One
The last quiz seems to be running out of steam. Some rules:

1. The person who is the first to answer the question correctly gains the right to ask the next question :)
2. (a)ONE QUESTION ONLY - NO SPLIT QUESTIONS EITHER - KEEP IT SIMPLE
(b) if someone does this, anyone may forward a new question
3. (a) Civfanatics have 3 days to answer a question, if they do not, the question becomes dead and the questioner will ask another question.
(b) If a day has passed since the 3 day deadline and no new question has been asked, then anyone may forward a new question.
(c) If the same questioner has 2 or more dead questions consecutively, any person may forward a new question

I'll start off with an easy one:

Which Byzantine emperor was defeated at Manzikert?

Wait just a minute! Nobody should ask another question until Illustrious answers the current one. It's been quite a while and nobody has answered it correctly. I have to know!!!

BTW, we should keep using the existing threads rather than making useless new ones.

Alright EdwardTking, time's up. Next question:

What is the name of this world war 2 commander?:

Attachments

• man01.jpg
    man01.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 447
At first glance I thought it was Rommel, but on reflection I'm 99% sure it's Donitz.

Originally posted by polymath
At first glance I thought it was Rommel, but on reflection I'm 99% sure it's Donitz.

Karl Doenitz is correct. Your turn polymath.

I know there should be really only one question, but it all ties in and can be answered in one sentence:

In WW1, 1916, General Hindenburg assumed command (was made Chief of The General Staff) of the German army. Who did he replace, what was their difference of war policy, and what ultimate failure of his predecessor led to Hindenburg's appointment?

:goodjob: Exactly right. Hindenburg wanted to concentrate on the East, Falkenhayn on the West, and Falkenhayn failed at Verdun, so........

schmiddi's go.

Just to clarify, not that I know the answer at all, but just curious - do you mean for shooting down enemy planes? or any targets?
I ask, because there was one guy who's name was something like Strudel who destroyed something like 500 tanks, all told, in his Stuka.
(It just stuck in my head from history when I thought:
"Strudel in a Stuka shooting tanks".
Now how could I forget a ditty like that?) :)

If its just planes then its...

Erich Hartmann - 352 kills
Gerhard Barkhorn - 301 kills
Günther Rall - 275 kills

All 3 of these fine pilots reached the rank of Major during the war. Hartmann not until May 8, 1945.

Interestingly at the end of the war Hartmann fly to the allies to avoid being caught by the Soviets. The allies unforunatley turned him over anyway and they locked him up in a gulag for 10 years. After this he returned to West Germany to his wife. He joined the new West German Luftwaffe. His highest acheived rank was Colonel which he reached in July 26, 1967. He said his proudest achievement was never losing a wingame throughout his 1400+ sorties.

Attachments

• erich-hartmann.jpg
    erich-hartmann.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 372
Just to clarify, not that I know the answer at all, but just curious - do you mean for shooting down enemy planes? or any targets?
I ask, because there was one guy who's name was something like Strudel who destroyed something like 500 tanks, all told, in his Stuka.
Now how could I forget a ditty like that?)

LOL! :D :D

I think you mean Hans-Ulrich Rudel. ;)

He was credited with the following victories..

518+ Tanks
700 Trucks
150+ Flak and Artillery positions
9 Fighter/Ground Attack Aircraft
Hundreds of bridges, railway lines, bunkers, etc.
Battleship October Revolution, Cruiser Marat, and 70 landing craft

Love the Strudel ditty btw, good a way as any of remembering. ;)

Originally posted by polymath
Now how could I forget a ditty like that?) :)

shooting down enemy planes only

Rudel would not count anyway. Stuka is short for Sturzkampfbomber which is divebomber in english.
I just asked for fighter pilots.

Originally posted by Kentonio
If its just planes then its...

Erich Hartmann - 352 kills
Gerhard Barkhorn - 301 kills
Günther Rall - 275 kills

All 3 of these fine pilots reached the rank of Major during the war. Hartmann not until May 8, 1945.

Interestingly at the end of the war Hartmann fly to the allies to avoid being caught by the Soviets. The allies unforunatley turned him over anyway and they locked him up in a gulag for 10 years. After this he returned to West Germany to his wife. He joined the new West German Luftwaffe. His highest acheived rank was Colonel which he reached in July 26, 1967. He said his proudest achievement was never losing a wingame throughout his 1400+ sorties.

:worshp: :worshp: damn, you got it perfect :worshp: :worshp:

These guys made a nice score, didnt they.

Your turn, Kentonio

That's him, Kentonio!
And I always thought 'Stuka' was a complete name, not short for something....always nice to learn new stuff.

Top Bottom