History Rewritten in multiplayer

rsab

Warlord
in my single player games I can keep myself from tech flipping, but in multiplayer games, there is nothing stopping someone from doing this to get ahead

Sorry for the insertion of a new thread here... but SpartanU, how do you play HR in multiplayer? LAN games? I've never played that way, and I would like.

Sorry for the insertion of a new thread here... but SpartanU, how do you play HR in multiplayer? LAN games? I've never played that way, and I would like.
I use Steam's servers, so you have to have the game through Steam for this method to work.
1) Go to Civ IV: BTS in your Steam Library, then to Properties, then to "Set Launch Options".
2) paste this in the text box:
Code:
Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe" -applaunch 8800 "mod=\History Rewritten" Start in: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods"
(You might need to modify this if your Civ IV: BTS has a different path)
3) HOST: create the HR game as usual
4) OTHER PLAYERS: join the host's game via Steam invite while Civ IV: BTS is CLOSED
I have only used these Steps on a Windows Machine!

The main reason you need to go through Steam invite to join an online game using HR is that no games will show up in the "Internet Lobby" if you are using a mod (so modify the Launch Options to suit any other mods). The trouble with joining via Steam invite after you have already loaded HR is that Steam restarts Civ IV: BTS when joining via steam invite; and after it relaunches, the mod will be unloaded (it will still put you in the host's game however). To solve this you need steam to launch Civ IV: BTS with HR already loaded (which is what the custom Launch Options fixes).

I'm unsure how else to do a multiplayer game, perhaps there are some 3rd party servers that also support the use of mods on Civ IV. I've been meaning to try LAN games, but I'm worried that the "LAN Lobby" will have the same issue that the "Internet Lobby" has when using mods. If you are trying to do a LAN game though and the "LAN Lobby" doesn't work, you could try using copies of Civ that aren't through Steam (such as the original disks). I have a hunch that some multiplayer aspects of the game were broken after Steam replaced Gamespy as the server provider. The other thing to be aware of is that the Steam servers only support 4 players, so if anyone has an alternative to using Steam servers that would be very helpful for larger games.

Ok thanks SpartanU!

Looks complex to me... Anyway I'm not playing through Steam, I own the original disk.

But just to be clear: I presume there's not a considerable big community playing HR multiplayer, so you must have to agree with some friends to play this way. Isn't it?

Thanks!

Ok thanks SpartanU!

Looks complex to me... Anyway I'm not playing through Steam, I own the original disk.

But just to be clear: I presume there's not a considerable big community playing HR multiplayer, so you must have to agree with some friends to play this way. Isn't it?

Thanks!
Yeah I've only played a couple games with a friend I introduced to HR

Top Bottom