History/war podcasts or similar while playing

atomicmetallurgist

Chieftain
What up y’all, been lurking for years and probably put twice as many hours into VP as vanilla. Favorite game (not just mod) of all time, big thanks to all the developers/modmodders and this community, I’ve loved checking in periodically to see if new versions drop.

I partially credit Civ with kickstarting my interest in history and historical warfare, and I enjoy listening to podcasts or similar on these topics while playing. Eager to hear if anyone else is similar and has any recommendations. For my part, I’m a huge fan of radio war nerd and fall of civilizations, but I’m not averse to other stuff and have even listened to some open courseware stuff from time to time (Paul Freedman’s early Middle Ages come to mind, I really enjoyed that).

thanks and looking forward to what y’all think.

Tides of History
Hardcore History
The Ancient World
Ancient Egypt
Fall of Rome

What up y’all, been lurking for years and probably put twice as many hours into VP as vanilla. Favorite game (not just mod) of all time, big thanks to all the developers/modmodders and this community, I’ve loved checking in periodically to see if new versions drop.

I partially credit Civ with kickstarting my interest in history and historical warfare, and I enjoy listening to podcasts or similar on these topics while playing. Eager to hear if anyone else is similar and has any recommendations. For my part, I’m a huge fan of radio war nerd and fall of civilizations, but I’m not averse to other stuff and have even listened to some open courseware stuff from time to time (Paul Freedman’s early Middle Ages come to mind, I really enjoyed that).

thanks and looking forward to what y’all think.

Mike Duncan's stuff: History of Rome, and Revolutions

When Diplomacy Fails with Zack Twamley.

He goes into excruciating detail with his main series' like his current one on the 30 Years War or the Korean War, so it may be a bit daunting, but really interesting and informative.
I'd start with the recent introduction episodes for the 30 years war ("Yes, You Will Be Interested In The Thirty Years' War" or "Setting the Stage for the Thirty Years War") and/or the smaller bite-size series like "BismarckRise" and any of the WDF Remastered episodes with topics that catch your eye.

-Fall of Civilisations by Paul Cooper.
Its brilliant.
Just tried this out, starting with the Inca episode. It seems really good.

One I haven't seen mentioned is the History of Philosophy podcast. A bit of a different type of history but it's a great podcast.

Also recently watched Montemayor's videos on youtube about WW2 naval battles while playing civ. They are fascinating and got me excited to grind through some late-game wars :lol:. It's crazy that WW2 was the only time in history that we saw this kind of full-scale naval war with modern technology between comparable powers.

Top Bottom