Hit the devil hard

Zaklog

Chieftain
I just recently started the Wages of Sin scenario, but this seems like a relevant question in any game where the Infernals make an appearance. Considering their dependence on (and growing strength from) the death of other evil units, it seems like a good idea to hit the Infernals as hard as you can as early as you can, before dealing with any of the other evil civilizations.

Am I right on this? Because if you have another evil-aligned enemy and you fight with them, anything of theirs you kill can make the Infernals stronger, therefore you're not making any progress.

What's a good tactic to take down Hyborem, btw? Are there any particular units/promotions I should pursue?

Yes, the Infernals (and Mercurians) get insanely powerful when everyone around them is fighting, and taking them out early can be a good idea if you can.

Try out (I hope it isn't a surprise!) demon slaying as a promotion, it works wonders!

Best wishes,

Breunor

well, all of their units are Demons, other than Mechanical units like Catapults and Ships ... so other than Demon Slaying there isn't a whole lot to say about promotions ...

although Bless promotion is good (anything with Holy Strength)

I think they are immune to Poison, Death, and perhaps Unholy.

they are 20% resistant to Fire (while Orcs are 25% resistant to fire)

depending on how far along they are, if they have Sheaut Stones, and if they have Nightmares, either anti-horse promos or anti-archery promos could come in handy. If Infernals get up and running, they will likely have better Science than you, more soldiers than you, higher level soldiers than you (demon's altar gives +2 exp to demons, not much, but it can add up I suppose).

Basically, just hit them early. Hitting them early, and trying to delay their summoning, are the only hard counters to Infernals. (well, perhaps other than Demon Slaying).

Although ... there is ONE other thing you can do. You can build the Ritual [Glory Everlasting] ... and that should be enough to at least wipe out their advantage in numbers ... as it kills every currently existing demon. Heck, combined with a well timed "Divine Retribution" spell from Basium, it might be enough to kill Hyborem twice and get him out of the game early (or at least quickly).

This would, if nothing else, rid the Infernal player of his Traits.

Also, if he already built Mardero and Messhaber of Dis ... or if he had high level Champions he was planning to turn into demon lords ... you would be ridding him of some very powerful chess pieces he won't be able to get back the rest of the game.

As long as an evil civ summons Hyborem though ... you shouldn't have too many problems being at least some-what ready for him if he arrives ... however if a Kuriotates player decides to rush him (or really almost any philosophical player with decent economic ability), you may be in some trouble.

Top Bottom