Hittites 3-Man Chariot: useless?

I'm currently playing the Ancient Treasures (Introduction 1) scenario with the Hittites and I'm wondering if I'm missing out on something.

I noticed that my UU, the Three-Man Chariot, has got exactly the same stats as the Horseman: 3/2/2 - 40 shield to build - horses required.

+ for Horseman: is upgradeable.
- for 3-man chariot: is a wheeled unit so can't enter mountain, jungle, ...

On top of that, Chariotry is not a required tech, while Horseback Riding is.

So, why on earth would someone build these 3-man chariots?? Just to get a Golden Age because of a possible UU-victory?

Does it not have one more defense point than the Horseman?

In the regular game, The 3-Man Chariot has stats of 2-2-2 and a cost of 30 shields. This means it's basically the same as a Horseman, but it has an extra defense. So it's good if you have need of a fast-moving unit with moderate defense.

In other words, yeah, it's not a very good unit.

I don't know how they are in the intro 1, but if they are like in mesopotamia then they're useless. The only advantage is they can trigger a GA, and that you can delay doing so.

In the epic game they are IMHO inferior to UU's that are like it. Compared to war chariots they have one more def for 50% increased cost. Not good considering they have the speed which enables them to be attacking unit in most situations. And compared to the iroqouis mounted warriors they are just to be laughed at. The same cost but wheeled and 2.2.2 instead of the vastly superior 3.1.2 :rolleyes:

Thanks both for the info, looks indeed like they're not the best UU around, and in Intro1 they're even more useless (UU=Useless Unit in this case :) Apparently the units in Intro1 have been customized to fit better into the modified tech tree I guess (the Horseman and Three-Man Chariot are not the only units with different stats than usual)...

WHile Prolly not the BEST UU around, In a regualr game they are awesome if you don't have iron. All you do is crank out a few dozen of those suckers, & the early war is yours. You have no need of building spearmen or anything until much later b/c they are an adaquate defender, also, they can blitz. So all in all they are one of the best AA UU's. IMHO

In regular game they actually do make a good replacement for spearmen, lol. As long as you have horses anyway. If you defend with the three-man then you can attack and then retreat back in on the same turn. It is one of three ancient age fast units with a defense more then one (others being gaelic swordman and ancient calvalry) So it can be put to good use I'd say.

Of course i'd rather have the mounted warrior overall.

I've always thought that it would make much more sense for two of the dudes to jump out of the chariot. Then you could have a regular chariot, a spearman, and an archer. Those fools.

BobCW said:
I've always thought that it would make much more sense for two of the dudes to jump out of the chariot. Then you could have a regular chariot, a spearman, and an archer. Those fools.

lol, now that's funny...

course they couldn't do that, it'd be cheating ;-) They know this.

In multiplayer, 3 man chariots are good, I usually get veteran ones and invade my enemies land, pillaging everything I can. Expensive impis that can attack, I'd say.

Worst UU by far, imho, is that gosh darn Korean UU.

Korean one is good IMO. LETHAL LAND BOMBARDMENT!!!! I get 5 of these suckers and nothing stands in my way! ho ho ho!

who is even the hittites? their stats stink! And so does their UU! :vomit:

I'd have to say the worst UU of all is the American one....An "air unit" in the "modern age" that "isn't much better" then what you can build anyway. It isn't really possible to get worse then this...bleh.

It's not useless because you can build 20-100 of them easily, research Chivalry and start saving up all your money to convert them into knights.

Well, you could do the same strategy with horsemen. There's no real advantage in doing it with three-man-chariots.

Ultra early UUs are pointless since you barely have enough cities to crank out more than a handful and they cost you a decent GA.

gunkulator said:
Ultra early UUs are pointless since you barely have enough cities to crank out more than a handful and they cost you a decent GA.

I think you should add in "normally" as there are several cases that a player would not win without a very early GA. I see this in contiental Sid games and at Demi AW on contients or pangea.

In those cases you would stand a good chance of being over run without the GA.

I read one really good SG game that shows a good case of the early GA turning the game around.

Top Bottom