Hmmm moments

Surely time is always running out though... As in, you never end up with MORE time than you did a minute earlier.

EDIT: Maybe that was the "hmm" moment........... doh.

If you quit a job you suddenly have more time...

glass / empty gal aincha?

glass / empty gal aincha?
Nah, it's just, if you have 3 hours to do thing A and thing B, then someone decides that you don't have to do thing A anymore, you still have 3 hours to do thing B.

Anyway, yeah, half empty pint of coke please.

Re : reproduction, the lady I'm living with (not my GF, we share w/ an older couple) has her grandkids here. The baby is cute but everytime I see one I praise Yehweh I don't have one! :whew:

Well, I don't appreciate being told that the reason I have crippling depression is that I am just too mentally weak.
It's not about mental "weakness" at all. But someone telling you that you've got an incurable mental disease is just another way of calling you a cripple. When you're in it it doesn't feel like a choice but it's a result of habitual mental habits (unconscious choices), just like being fat or learning a skill.

Narz, you suffer depression. So do I. So do many of the people here. Ok. You have found a mechanism which makes you feel better. This is good. Seriously. But...you still still suffer from chronic depression and you always will. This is how you are, you were born this way. You will always have to deal with it. It is you. Ypu will never be able to escape from it. Anymore than you can escape from yourself.
Listen Bozo :)lol: ), how in the hell can you tell me what I am or what my problems are? I was no more "born depressed" than Marilyn Monroe was born abused. You can label yourself as a genetic loser all you want but don't try to pin that garbage on me. I came, I suffered, I conquered. I certainly will have many struggles ahead of me in the future but I never will allow myself to sink as deep as I did then. I didn't know how to help myself at the time (I forgive myself of course, those who were there to guide me at the time were themselves limited) but I do now. If you want to put yourself in a box & limit yourself without even considering you might be wrong, well, you have my sympathy.

One more analogy (for whatever it's worth), from a book I read recently (The Art of Learning). He spoke about when he first started taking martial arts and learning "Push Hands" (wiki it) and a more skilled student would attack him it felt like a whirlwind and within moments he was on the ground. From a beginner level there is no way the brain and body could analyze all that sensory information at once, it's simply too much and feels overwhelming. From that perspective reality is = "I was up, then I was on the ground". As homeboy got more skilled he could start to see the steps involved (though the result, getting tossed, was the same). With time he was able to see clearer and clearer and learned to move, feign moves, counterattack. Getting thrown was no longer the guaranteed outcome, and more importantly he could see, step by step, what was happening.

The moral is - accepting, that you're a mental cripple for life because some drug pusher who studied some Freud and other utterly unscientific tripe told you so is... well, kind of dumb.

There are always limits in life, but why not find out what they really are instead of just accepting the ones others have placed upon you.

Honestly, I wonder if you've ever really been that depressed because if you had, you wouldn't just accept so nonchalantly that it was a lifetime affiliation.

I think what Bozo was trying to get at is that sometimes people tackle the symptoms and not the cause.

Nah, it's just, if you have 3 hours to do thing A and thing B, then someone decides that you don't have to do thing A anymore, you still have 3 hours to do thing B.

Anyway, yeah, half empty pint of coke please.

Nope, you have gained1.5 hours with which to play with.

With ice/lemon?

Nope, you have gained1.5 hours with which to play with.
I have more time to devote to task B specifically, but that wasn't what we were talking about originally. The time I have in which to complete task B is still 3 hours, which was what we were originally talking about. A minute later, I'd have 2.59, i.e. time is running out, regardless of whether or not I need to do task A.

With ice/lemon?
No thx. More time for drinking if I don't have to stop to eat the ice.

double barcardi then? or you more an absinthe?

The wink has caused far to many possible interpretations...

It's not about mental "weakness" at all. But someone telling you that you've got an incurable mental disease is just another way of calling you a cripple. When you're in it it doesn't feel like a choice but it's a result of habitual mental habits (unconscious choices), just like being fat or learning a skill.

Telling me it is completely under my control is basically telling me it's my fault. Attempting to "change my attitude" hasn't helped, but medical treatment has.

And when did I say it was incurable?

well in school in egypt they always were like before mohamed they worshiped statues( pre islamic arabs) and then the teachers told us how stupid they were and then i realized that islam replaced thier statues with an invisible being in the sky. this thought just came up a while ago , years after the lesson , very strange.

Surely time is always running out though... As in, you never end up with MORE time than you did a minute earlier.

EDIT: Maybe that was the "hmm" moment........... doh.

what if you are sick, have 2 weeks to live, and are miraculously healed?

I think what Bozo was trying to get at is that sometimes people tackle the symptoms and not the cause.
He's making the case that anyone who suffers depression has brain damage from childhood ("But...you still still suffer from chronic depression and you always will. This is how you are, you were born this way."). There is no scientific evidence to back this up. There's a reason more people than ever before are suffering mental illnesses and it ain't cause we're all born with chemical imbalances. Also "chemical imbalances", in other words - the structure of the brain, can be corrected without drugs just as body size and shape can be corrected without drugs. This has been proved in numerous scientific studies. Here's 1 I found in a second or two

Telling me it is completely under my control is basically telling me it's my fault.
I never used the word "completely". No one is perfect at controlling their own mind and/or emotions but to hold an attitude of complete helplessness is the opposite extreme.

Attempting to "change my attitude" hasn't helped
I never suggested an "attitude change" alone would help anything. That's pop-culture bullsh!t psychology. Changing your habitual thoughts and behavior is different than a mere attitudinal shift. To make an analogy, changing your attitude about running may make you feel better but it won't get you in shape. It's not enough to believe you can overcome depression you have to try all the different approaches to doing it until you find one (usually a series of ones) that works. When you find something that works you don't need "attitude" anymore, you know it works.

I didn't mean to start a debate with you, just Bozo Erectus. I'm not claiming everyone can eliminate any mental problem forever no matter what, I'm just saying that I have effectively cured myself of major depression as have many other people. I probably have circumstantial advantages you don't (and keep in mind it took me seven years to get myself free) so nowhere am I questioning your abilities. That said, if I may be some presumptuous as to make a suggestion (and unless I get banned I may :D), try not thinking of it as "my fault" vs. "fate" but simply as a situation where you have limited knowledge and power (pretty much every situation for every person) where you have the option of increasing your knowledge and power (in this case over your emotions). If you could completely master emotions (or any aspect of life) it would lose it's mystery and challenge but certainly there is always room for growth.

, but medical treatment has.
Alright, well keep it up then.

And when did I say it was incurable?
Bozo said it was incurable.

Top Bottom