HNDY11 AWDG Standard Pangaea China

Sorry Handy, I'll have it completed shortly. It is amazing how one gets pulled away from important things (like Civ) this time of year.

And a good reminder it was. :D

Pre-flight – 350 AD – Not sure why we are building two temples. Change Shanghai to a sword. Change Tsingtao to a horse. Bump science up 10%.

IBT – New victims step forward. Produce two swords, a cat, and walls in Macao.

1. 360 AD – Bombard and kill an Ottoman LB. The Ottos have muskets. Moving a sword army into Portugal, I spot a Berzerk. Kill a Otto LB. (2-0)

IBT – Produce a horse and start the FP in Tsingtao.

2. 370 AD – Lose an elite horse attacking a red-lined Port spear. Kill it with a second ehorse. Science back down 10%. (3-1)

IBT – Produce a spear. Portuguese build Leo’s.

3. 380 AD – Kill three Otto muskets, lose two horses, kill a Otto LB.
@ Risor (PORT) – Army kills two spears. Autoraze it. Henry is now down to six cities. (9-3)

IBT – A Viking galley comes out of nowhere a Berzerk captures an undefended Macao.

4. 390 AD – Recapture Macao at the loss of a sword. Bombard and kill two Otto LBs. (13-4)

IBT – A stack of six Vikings head our way.

5. 400 AD – Kill five of the six, leaving a redlined pike. These cats are starting to make a difference. (18-4)

IBT – More Vikings step forward. They build the Sistine Chapel. Persians build Zeus.

6. 410 AD - @ Gates of Braga – Kill two Zerks, and an MDI. Price of currency drops dramatically. :hmm: Everyone had currency. Check F4 and find this revoltin’ scene Alice!

The only thing we can buy is currency for 11g from Korea. That is less than one turn of research so I buy it. I then behead each envoy and declare war. We start Philosophy (due in 4 @ -2gpt.) (21-4)

IBT – Lose a sword to a 2hp Otto LB at Leira, and a sword to a 2 hp MDI at Braga.

7. 420 AD – At Emerita – Kill the two spears and raze the city. Kill two Vikings at Braga. Kill a wandering Viking spear. (26-4)

IBT – Four Otto knights and two Zerks move in range.

8. 430 – Kill the two zerks. Kill a Port LB. Kill three of the four knights (the fourth retreated). Lost a horse. (32-5)

IBT – Kill the redlined Otto Knight and a Otto LB.

9. 440 – Maneuvering.

IBT – Philosophy=>CoL (due in 4 @ -15gpt)

10. 450 - Kill Port LB, Otto LB, two Otto knights. Move a settler into position at red dot. (36-5)

After action – A 7:1 kill ratio will keep things in our favor. The cats are wonderful. Keep building them.

OK, here’s the plan. If we settle at red dot and at blue dot, plus clear the jungle at the red x’s we’ll be able to set up a mini gauntlet and the AI will run it. We’ll need to build a fort on the hill as indicated once we get construction. Of course capturing Mugla wouldn’t hurt either.

Save: http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads8/HNDY11,_450_AD.SAV

Nice battle results. :goodjob:

Regarding the Forbidden Palace build in Tsingtao, do you veterans work on the assumption that the location of the FP hardly matters in Conquests AW, and all that counts is to get it finished?

Regarding the Forbidden Palace build in Tsingtao, do you veterans work on the assumption that the location of the FP hardly matters in Conquests AW, and all that counts is to get it finished?
I am probably not the veteran here, but that is what I usually do, unless I have such a strong position that I can use a leader on it.

I can't recall ever building an FP in an AWE or higher game. IIRC we have almost always rushed it in a good location once we can't build armies anymore. In the south the cats should help us farm some leaders. We usually also leader rush the HE, Military Academy, Pentagon. Greebley may remember differently.

Roster and Order of Play
Handy
Sir Bugsy
Greebley UP
grs
Northern Pike
microbe
gozpel

Can't recall why I was building temples. River cities maybe so they could get over size 7? :confused: I'll try to check my save to see why that was the case.

I like armies, so I have built the FP in AW. Rushing is more common however. You get more leaders than you can build armies (not enough cities). Specifically, I think we often use the 4th or 3rd leader for the FP once we have 3 (or 2) armies (I like having 3 armies first but my teammates have rushed the FP with the 3rd leader).

The HE does tend to wait for a leader. You get enough in AW, that the 7 swords /3 knights are worth more than building it by hand - the exception is if you are leader poor for whatever reason.

I got it.

I think we just need to get the FP for the increase in optimal cities. I've seen it go both ways, rush with a leader, build from scratch.

Maybe build the 2 cities a little farther south. Where the black circles are are. This may not be possible if the traffic is too thick.

The benefits of being on the dyes is that it is easier to prevent pillaging.
If we capture Mugla, then place cats on the iron mountain combined with the dye city we could bomb any tile the AI would use to move to the north. Nice centralized fire zone.

Even better. That's what I enjoy about SGs. Take one idea, pass it around, get even better ideas.

I went for a more detailed log this time. I don't usually measure the exact kills mostly because I keep forgetting to write them down. I included some of my thoughts on unit movement for the curious.

Preturn: Switch a few towns to workers - mostly towns near max size. We need a few more I think given the large tracts of jungle. I MM our FP city as well (only needs 2 food to grow this turn).

IBT: An Ottoman Musketman and 2 Longbow are seen in the South. No units are within range of us even after movement.

460 AD: Shifted the Catapults so they can bombard the Musketman when he moves next to us.
I need to raise Lux for the FP city. I will also MM it for 0 growth after it has a few food (with no food in the box, an enemy landing can make it drop in size, so one should always try to have a some food for such events).

IBT: Musket next to our city. Some Berserkers show up.

470 AD: I bombard the Musket to 1 hp and attack twice with swords. Both lose. I then bombard it again to 1hp and use the Army. Lose 5 hp before I kill it. That is 13 misses in a row total. Swordsman loses 3 hp vs a longbow - I erred in not bombarding the longbow. I do bombard the second one to one hp and a horse promotes to elite while killing it.

A town without barracks is building a Spear. I switch it to a Catapult

Retreat the town building force due to the Berserkers. The army covers.

Also switch 2 towns to Spears we are short on cheap defense.
3-2

IBT: More Berserkers show up (we can see 6 now)

480 AD: Bombard the Berserkers and kill 2 with an Army. The last one in the stack survives. Retreat units away from this last one (the Berserk won't attack an Army on the hill (as long as it has enough hp), but I put other units on the stack too to be safe).

When the Berserk advances, it will be on grassland so we can kill it safely with a Horse. Probably won't advance right away as it is injured.

Warning: Berserks will attack a yellow-lined army on the flat, and possibly even a slightly injured one. Try not to leave armies next to berserkers when on flat unless they have 11+ HP.

I have to lower science as we can no longer run a deficit. COL in 3 instead of 1. I make a scientist to bring it to two in our worst town.

5-2

IBT: 5 Ottman knights show up are seen. Pike lands just behind the front

490 AD: Bombard the 3 Berserkers in front. Sword kills the first. Bombard the landed pike to 1 hp and kill with a horse. A horse fails to kill a 2-hp Berserk. (on the plus side, the loss will allow us to get Code of Laws next turn).

MM the FP to 0 growth to speed it up slightly.

Advance one of the Armies on Mugla killing an Longbow.

7-3

IBT: A Knight is landed where the Pike was landed before. Units advance.

500 AD: Capture Mugla with the Army. May abandon though.
I kill the knight. I red-line units (no attacks yet as the units are at least partially defended) Also healing units will provide a wall against the approaching horse (In some cases you can keep certain units from getting to you by keeping injured units of another civ in the way).

We now have 181 gold and can research fast again (50% - Construction in 7, -31 gold)

9-3

IBT: 4 Knights are on our border.

510 AD: I bombard the 4 knights getting all but one to 1 hp. I kill the 2 hp knight with an army, and 2 more with a sword and a horse. I kill a longbow outside of Mugla. I also kill another knight with the sword army.

13-3

IBT: An injured berserk attacks a Spear and wins (an error on my part - he healed and attacked while still damaged). A longbow attacks our army and loses.
More Berserks spotted.

14-4

520 AD: Kill a Pike and a Spear.

16-4

IBT: Longbow kills a Spear (would have had to work hard to avoid this).

530 AD: Kill an Ottoman Knight and gain a leader. It becomes a third Army. I bombard and kill a stack of 5 Berserkers.
I also kill a spear and Longbow.

23-5

540 AD: I finally build the town on the Hill previously mentioned by Handy. I sacrifice a Cat and 20 gold to build the walls for next turn.

I kill 2 Berserkers and a knight

26-5

550 AD: I kill a Musketman and a Spear in a Viking town called Fauske.

28-5

Notes:
I am building Markets. Needed to keep science up.
Allow towns to grow to size 7 to get unit support up.

Our settler for the dyes is one turn away from the spot. One of the armies is guarding.
Our southern workers are building a road S to the dyes ASAP. This is both to get the Lux and to allow Catapults into the city.
Mugla seems worth keeping.

We can probably destroy Fauske with the army. I would do so. I would then heal and destroy Denizli.

If we get the chance (perhaps after we get the road to the dyes built and can get Cats in the Dye city), the "dye city army" should go and kill the portugal city to the south.

In general, we want to keep pushing with our armies. If we can claim enough territory we can do this.

Yes, fine stuff, Greebley. :goodjob:

It looks as though the geography of the situation is working out well for us--provided of course the western peninsula ends where it seems to end.

I agree. It means we should be able to push to the far side of the choke and grab the land between. More cities is more unit support which will help us. These towns can also be switched to scientists which will help with research. We will want to irrigate the choke region for this.

Note that troops can get across the two land bridges south of our town to get to the dye town, so the dye town won't be safe from enemy incursion.

and into the swamp :lol:

I sometimes like having slow terrain on my borders. If you road them, you can still attack and retreat, but it stops the enemy dead. The downside is the defensive bonus, but if you can red-line the enemy first then it can become less of an issue.

In our earlier games we used pillaging to limit the AI to speed 1 troops so we haven't had to use this before, but I suspect we may want to keep some speed bumps.

With the second border expansion, the row of swamp will stop speed 1 and 2 units. Cavalry is a bit more of a headache. Basically you have to cover your Artillery units well enough that the Cav will not attack the stack, but go around.

Anyway, it is something to keep in mind.

Note that you can plant forests too. I have used this tactic on occasion to make a town inaccessable in one turn (which means I don't have to guard it heavily (especially after rails).

Well done Greeb-meister! I think the terrain may work to our advantage.

Pre: Nothing to do.

IBT: Korea starts Smith's - we are about an age behind.

560AD: Kill 2 zerks. (2-0)

IBT: --

570AD: Kill 1 zerk, 2 spears - Fauske autorazed for 270gold. Hire scientists for construction in 1. (5-0)

IBT: Kill 1 knight and 1 zerk defending. We learn construction -> map making. (7-0)

580AD: Kill 1 longbow. Unite our workers to a road-1-jungle-per-turn-crew. Move more workers south. (8-0)

IBT: Ottomans show a stack of 6 knights near Leiria and 2 more near Mugla :eek: .

590AD: Kill 6 knights, force 2 to retreat. We get a MGL. (14-0) :)

IBT: Vikings land a musket on a mountain next to Braga. Korea starts Shakespeare's. An Aztec ship shows in the north.

600AD: Chinan founded on the dyes. Pentagon hurried in Macao. Kill 1 musket. (15-0)

IBT: Viking musket pillages the road on the mountain and a 2nd one lands there. Ottomans have Sipahi now :wow: . We complete The Pentagon and the Ottomans start Shakespeare's too.

610AD: Kill 1 longbow, 1 musket and 2 knights. Hurry walls in Chinan. (19-0)

IBT: More Sipahi show, Vikings land a zerk on the mountain, Portugal lands a longbow near Anyang. We learn map making and enter the middle ages. Resistance in Mugla finally ends. Note: a vet. Sipahi does not attack an unfortified 14HP sword army in a jungel tile - that will prove helpfull.

620AD: Kill 2 muskets and a longbow. Start feudalism at 30% (+/- 0gpt) - due in 18. (21-0)

IBT: Ottomans retreat their Sipahi! :confused: Lose a spear vs a zerk and Leira riots. (21-1)

630AD: Kill 2 more zerks. (23-1)

IBT: Kill a knight and see a Korean caravel. (24-1)

640AD: Kill 1 knight and 1 longbow. Our first army gets a 4th sword. (26-1)

IBT: The Ottomans show a 5 sipahi stack. Persia starts Shakespeare's; Korea starts Magellan's. A catapult dies from desease in a jungle.

650AD: Kill 1 knight. (27-1)

Beijing and Canton do a sword in 3 each. Canton gets a chop after the next one. Tsingtao will complete the FP in 2 and can do swords in 3 too then. Hangchow produces spears for garrison.

This is more a game of chess atm. In theory a stack of 5 sipahi is as easy to kill as the knights were, because: a) in jungle they are not faster and b) they have 3 defense. Our worker stack is now north of Denizli below the 2 knight armies and our catapults are one north waiting for the road. Beware the 2 rubble spot as they are grasslands and permit the Ottos to cross two spaces in one turn.

Top Bottom