1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ho ho ho and a bottle of Tokaj! - A Magyar civ

Discussion in 'Civ4 - New Civilizations' started by cool3a2, Nov 26, 2005.

1. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Hey, I'm back in Szeged, and don't plan to disappear from here :)

My opinion in the topics that came up:
    - Yurt should be only in the ancient citystyle for Hungary
    - Szekelykapu sounds more than cool. Altough it seems difficult to me, so good luck Freya. I hope u can make something awesome for all of us ;)
    - Turul statue: I'm with avain on this. Cool, u r right, it was way too tall, and it is already better this way, but now it seems a little too short for me

Wow, i'm amazed. If it keeps going at this rate, soon the hungarian citystyle will be the most unique in Civ 4 :D:D

2. cool3a2

cool3a2 Deity

Okay, I enlengthen the statue then. Absinthe, do you know whether székelykapus stand isolated or are build-in into fences, traditionally? I guess, as kapus are gates they are integrated. If Freya wouldknow that, he could start working on the citystyle...

3. Freya

Freya Queen of Lurkers

As an answer to your question in my thread, yes i'm making the székelykapus as a part of the medieval cityset

I'm actually a girl :) but yes it would be good to know...

4. cool3a2

cool3a2 Deity

Uh... sorry. I actually already thought about that possibility, but I kept unsure. Freya... like 'Freitag' (german for 'friday')? I could swear I heard that it was called after some (nordic?) goddess...

5. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

I think the szekelykapus both exist isolated and part of the fence, but personally I prefer the second one.

6. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Btw, the Queen of Lurkers sign under Freya's nick was a little bit telling for me ;)

7. Freya

Freya Queen of Lurkers

Yes Freya is the name of a nordic goddess , it's also used as firstname in scandinavia where i live..

So, here's the medieval cityset, what do you think?
    I think it look decent when zoomed in, however maybe a bit boring with all the brownish roofs when outzoomed, although i tried to stay as close as possible to your pictures ..

Attached Files:

8. cool3a2

cool3a2 Deity

It's wonderful!! The only problem might be the white walls. They don't blend over that well, but don't mind. Either I or avain will work on this and assign some structure to the walls. The székelykapu turned out very well!

Thank you very much!!

9. cool3a2

cool3a2 Deity

I worked again on the turul statue to make the socket longer. Do you think it's okay now or should I make it even longer?

10. Freya

Freya Queen of Lurkers

Cool, i don't know if you saw it but i uploaded it to the database over here:
    Here it is!

11. cool3a2

cool3a2 Deity

No, I missed it, but downloading it now. Thank you very much, Freya! I'll include the cityset tomorrow.

12. cool3a2

cool3a2 Deity

I'll post here twice to show you the current citystyles. The attachments of this post contain pictures of the classical, medieval and rennaissance era citystyle. The medieval citystyle uses Freyas cityset that I have worked on. I reduced the size of the texture, because too large textures used to be blurry. Also, I worked on the light setting as this caused the walls to stick out. The houses might be a bit small - as well as the székelykapus - but I had to do it this ways to avoid overlapping of the houses. I might include a larger and more obvious székelykapu into a palace art - if I only had a good main art for the palace. But unfortunately there is nothing I know about that fits to Freyas cityset.

Now, my question is: should I use the medieval cityset as renaissance cityset, too and use the current renaissance as industrial citystyle or should I keep it the way it is now?

13. cool3a2

cool3a2 Deity

Industrial and modern citystyle. There is another era for citystyles: future. But I couldn't make it show up. Also, it could be that the modern cityset on the picture is the future citystyle and thus that I missed the modern citystyle... I'd need to take a closer look at the files.

14. Freya

Freya Queen of Lurkers

Interesting, how do you do to alter the light setting?

15. cool3a2

cool3a2 Deity

Well, to be more exact, it's the materials settings I changed, but that's related with the light. You simply open the nif in sceneviewer, then select the trishape thats material settings you like to alter. Right-click at it (either in the 3d view or in the treeview on the right) and select properties. A new window should open. Search for the NiProperties section, it might be closed by default. Open it and double-click on the NiMaterialProperty. Another window should open. There you can adjust the shininess and alpha value (if I think about it, adjusting the brightness might have helped also...). There are 4 colours: ambient, diffuse, specular and emessive. AFAIK these are the colours of the specific light of the material (for example the colour of the light that gets reflected on a mirror or glass). I guess you are familiar with the ways colours are defined on computers, but anyways. There are three values of each colour: the red, green and blue value. Each is a value between 0 and 255 or 0 and 1. In our case it is the latter. In this case, I set the diffuse colour to (0.7,0.7,0.7), which is a brighter grey (before that it was (1,1,1) - white). The effect is (almost?) the same like if I would have reduced the diffuse lights brightness.
    Actually, you can also adjust lights in SceneViewer, but there is a different kind of object for lights (no Trishapes) - you will recognize them if you see them. If you view thats objects properties, you could specify thats colour and brightness values similarly like I described it above. For citysets, at least for your medieval hungarian cityset, there is no light source. I guess that's okay and I think a globally defined light is used instead. So, editing the meshs material settings is the only way to influence the light behaviour in our case. Leaderheads, and I think units, have their own lights, you could take a look at them to play around with this feature. I think that Deon added a light source to his Turul statue, so it is possible to do that for buildings, too. But that caused strong and sharp shadows on the statue, if I remember correctly. So I think it is not a good idea to have additional light sources for buildings.

16. Freya

Freya Queen of Lurkers

Spoiler :

Oh, okay i knew that , thanks anyway for explaining :), i thought you added an external source of light or something like that which i though i should try someday and see how it works out for citysets. It will probably not work since there are a whole bunch of things that works for regular buildings but doesn't for citysets :(

17. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Cool, now we have 2 new and perfect citysets, your (mongol based) ancient, and Freya's medieval.
    I suppose/hope they are the final ones, both look awesome.
    But just to be clear (u may wrote this earlier) and to be in one place, do you have plans with changing some of the others too?

My comments on this subject and on the pictures attached a few posts before:
    I like the classical citystyle, but not really fond of neither the rennaissance nor the industrial cityset. They look good too, but not as good as the ones mentioned earlier.
    And I may not remember correctly, but i think u wrote earlier that you want a new modern set. If it is true than I totally agree, now thats the least cool of the 6.

18. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Ohh Freya, and I did not write this earlier, but you did a fantastic work with that set!!!!
    Thank you on behalf all hungarian players :)

19. cool3a2

cool3a2 Deity

Yeah, I plan to change the industrial cityset (that's what I planned the pictures I posted before for). I am waiting for Walter Hawkwood finishing his eastern european modern cityset. I am actually satisfied with the renaissance cityset. I might work on it one day, but it's not on the first place of my priorities list. I think some of the houses used for this cityset are okay, others aren't. I guess I could skip the most unfitting buildings. The default citysets of civ4 tend to be crowded for my taste anyways. The modern cityset is actually something ununique that fits to most cities of most cultures. This ways I think there are worse things. Still, I might use the future industrial cityset for the modern citystyle, too. And I still have to check the nifs, because I am still not sure what's the difference between the modern and the future cityset - if there's any...

20. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Then we agree on the renaissance. Most of the houses look good, but i really dislike the towers.
    And it is really crowded with plenty of them (as in the picture).
    The industrial set would be awesome with buildings like on the pictures a page before :thumbsup:
    On the modern, I meant the same. Not unique enough. So of course it can stay, just it won't be as cool as the other citysets...