Ho ho ho and a bottle of Tokaj! - A Magyar civ

I believe that Zerver based it on this picture:
Spoiler :

Don't know how accurate it is. There are a couple of pictures around (see googles picture search using the words Szent István for example), but they all look like a king of a fairy tale to me. I think that a look like this (sorry, I'm going to link the opera again...) would be more accurate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0VSioAdyOw&feature=related. I would have suggested this as a base for a possible civ 5 LH, don't know what Absinthe thinks about this. Civ 5, however, is not interesting for me from a modders perspective yet as for example I can't add buildings / units without overwriting already existing ones. Haven't heard about a solution for this yet. This look, however, would lead to an entirely new (civ4) LH and that would be over the top - there would be as much Stephen LHs around as Hitler LHs... Argh... mentioning both persons within a single sentence makes me feel bad...

What are you actually thinking of, The Capo? In what ways would you make him look more hungarian? Also, we still don't have a background situated inside and I still don't have a clue what we could use...

EDIT: if the picture doesn't work, try this link: http://users.atw.hu/tomalak/stistvan.jpg?atw_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.civfanatics.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D143879

I was mainly talking about the collar of the shirt, but I was thinking of doing something with the whole thing, but yeah I can do something about the collar (or both) if I get a little time. :goodjob:

Don't know how accurate it is. There are a couple of pictures around (see googles picture search using the words Szent István for example), but they all look like a king of a fairy tale to me. I think that a look like this (sorry, I'm going to link the opera again...) would be more accurate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0VSioAdyOw&feature=related. I would have suggested this as a base for a possible civ 5 LH, don't know what Absinthe thinks about this. Civ 5, however, is not interesting for me from a modders perspective yet as for example I can't add buildings / units without overwriting already existing ones. Haven't heard about a solution for this yet. This look, however, would lead to an entirely new (civ4) LH and that would be over the top - there would be as much Stephen LHs around as Hitler LHs... Argh... mentioning both persons within a single sentence makes me feel bad...

What are you actually thinking of, The Capo? In what ways would you make him look more hungarian? Also, we still don't have a background situated inside and I still don't have a clue what we could use...

EDIT: if the picture doesn't work, try this link: http://users.atw.hu/tomalak/stistvan.jpg?atw_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.civfanatics.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D143879

I was mainly talking about the collar of the shirt, but I was thinking of doing something with the whole thing, but yeah I can do something about the collar (or both) if I get a little time. :goodjob:

Capo, I don't think you should overwhelm yourself with such detailed changes.
If you can easily improve the clothes/tunic/shirt it's great, but there is no need to rework everything from scratch
@cool3a2: I just mean, that giving an image from an opera is probably not the best way to suggest improvements on LHs
Btw I don't even find those clothes that accurate - even if that footage was taken in Szeged, that's not one of the best and most historical adaptations (regarding the clothes and other details)

EDIT: Btw, you should have posted this link to Capo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ_N_qECfGg&feature=related
He would have enjoyed it more ;) Actually I find those clothes more accurate too :D

@Absinthe: Sure, an opera is an disputabel source, but it's still the source that comes closest to what I have in mind when thinking of Árpád and St. Stephen. I can also imagine that a director of an opera checks for some historic sources when deciding for clothing. So it doesn't need to be wrong necessarily . Also, I know the 80s version of that opera and the one where Mr. Várga plays Stephen and found both to be less accurate regarding the clothes - at least regarding Stephen. I think that fine fur was much more common for a medieval king than clothes entirely covered with gold (which is what I meant with 'king from a fairy tale'). Regarding Árpád, he should wear a great portion of fur, I think, since this is probably the most natural material for nomadic people from the steppes. I am no historian though. Kabcsi might have helped with this, but he seems to be rather inactive.

EDIT: Btw, you should have posted this link to Capo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ_N_...eature=related
He would have enjoyed it more Actually I find those clothes more accurate too
Well, this video might have got too much of his attention. I wanted The Capo to keep concentrating on LH modding, you know. ;)

I was mainly talking about the collar of the shirt, but I was thinking of doing something with the whole thing, but yeah I can do something about the collar (or both) if I get a little time.
That's okay. I second what Absinthe said: it's probably not worth to work that much on it anymore.

I'm working on nitrams leaderheads:

(Hunyadi, Horthy, Koppány, Rákóczi, Szapolyai - Lajos and Álmos should also be included)

I won't include these leaders that ways that they will be selectable by default. I will keep them inactive, but if anyone wants them to play, he can edit the xml. Besides of this, the leaders might be useful for scenarios and thus it might be comfortable to have them by hands. To summarize it all up, I basically worked on the shaders which were heavily screwed up. Some detailed info:

János Hunyadi:
- moved the beard
- corrected the shader settings
- gave the armor a metaillic look
Things to do:
- check whether the ellbows are visible in one of the animations; if not, I could make them use the same metallic effect as the rest of the armor
- working a bit on the metall effect
- fixing some clipping (not sure this one, but likely)

Miklós Horthy:
- fixed the background as the version I downloaded still used Roosevelts background (pretty strange to see the american flag next to Horthy), background shows the Sándor palace - picture by Uzo19 / Wikipedia (just to be okay with rights)
- slightly altered the light which was too bright before
- included Roosevelts nrml map (shader)
Things to do:
- the white shirt is still too bright; the l,ight setting seems to be okay, so it might be a shader problem

Koppány:
- shader work, made the kopja more shiny like metal
- alpha settings (feathers in the back, fur)
- moved and scaled the fur
Things to do:
- making the body and hair a bit brighter
- try to work on the hair (not sure this one though)

Ferenc II Rákóczi:
- fixed the holes caused by visible backfaces at the cape
- weakened the strong gloss effect on the body
- worked on the fur / hat (alpha settings, moved them, scaled them) - still not perfect
Things to do:
- work on the hat
- leaderhead is too dark all in all
- hair would need work - not sure this one again
- maybe searching a better background

János Szapolyai:
- that one was already pretty good, so few things to do
- fixed some error that caused sceneviewer to crash due to a buffer overflow - might have happened in civ4 with cartain machines, too
- improved on the hair / beard (structured surfaces)
Things to do:
- this one is considered finished

Álmos:
- working on the shading
- big problem: the download missed at least one texture, so I might need to redo it

Lajos:
- working on the background
- fixing some clipping

Besides of the definitions needed to include these leaderheads, I'd like to provide some civilopedia texts, too. If someone wants to give me a hand, I could need english and hungarian texts - I'll take the german ones. Feel free to make suggestions on what to improve on the leaders and what could be the background for Rákóczi.

I forgot to mention that nitrams Corvinus will also be included, but won't be the default lh for Corvinus. Seems like that one is okay.

Sorry, I have taken some time but as it seems you have got back to work, so shall I. :goodjob:

I'm sending the edited Stephan file to WH to see if he can reskin it (at least the clothing) since he is great at it (check out Realism Invictus!!!). So we'll see how that turns out, not to mention my new Arpad, which I hope to have finished in a week or two. :mischief:

Great news, The Capo! I can hardly await it to see the first previews. Any yeah, WH is a great texturer. He texturized the hun palace I made recently and gave me some hints about how to improve on textures.

Time for fresh preview:

(Rákoczi - Álmos - Koppány - Horthy)

I've reworked Rákóczis hair and improved on the fur hat. It's still a bit dark, especially at the hair. Besides of this, the fur is somewhat high poly, but I couldn't see an easier way to get it done. There might still be some visible clipping at the cape / right shoulder, not sure if I can fix it.

Don't know what to say about Álmos. The background needs to be changed in any case - probably a steppe scene. I'd also like to change the colour of the hat fur to a light brown, but I don't get it done for some reason... If this could be done, the dejavu with Koppány wouldn't be so strong. I think the bright part on the chest could also be turned into the same colour. The cape is a problem, looks like it is distorted. The light could be brighter.

Koppány is pretty fair again. I made things a bit brighter, gave him a haircut and improved a bit on the kopjas shader. Maybe I move the hat a bit downwards. The torso could need some... well. Something that makes it less boring, just don't know what to do.

Horthys is almost done. The light might need some work - sometimes it's a bit too birght, sometimes it is too dark.

I've solved the clipping on the János Hunyadi LH and corrected the shading of Corvinus (nitrams version) and Lajos. The former one will probably look a bit different regasrding the enlightment. The latter one is a sad story... Basically it's a very well done LH. The background should be changed, which is no problem if I only find a nice picture. The big problem is, that there is serious clipping at the right shoulder which I cannot fix. This would require me rigging / work on the vertex weights which is far beyond my skills. I think changing the background will be all I can do.

Thank you, Huayna, but all these leaderheads are basically nitrams work. I'm just improving on them and make some fixes to clipping and such. He's based on shaka btw.

I've done most of the german civilopedia texts for nitrams leaders. Only Hotthy is missing which I'll do within the next days. Basically, I used Wikipedia as source, just shortened the texts. I don't know whether the texts are accurate though. Szapolyais texts is pretty monotonous and negative. I already corrected it by adding two or three sentences that make clear that he wanted Ferdinand of Austria as allied against the Turks at first. As F. refused, he had to count with an attack from the west, too, thus thought the Ottomans might be better as protectors then as enemies. This is what the english Wiki suggests and that sounds more realistic. I could need a hand with the english texts anyways, so I'd edit the german texts afterwards. Álmos' and Koppánys texts are also short currently, so I'd enlengthen them a little. Anyone interested in helping me with the english texts? We don't need one for Corvinus of course.

Besides of this, could you, nitram, give me a link to your newer Szapolyai, please? Also, your Lajos is actually pretty good, besides of two things. One is the background which I'll replace. I think the castle of Trencsén would be a good choice. I read that he had some diplomatic negotiations there, at least the castle seems to have existed back then. I just couldn't find a good picture of it that is fine with rights. The bigger problem is, that there is some clipping it seems on the right shoulder. Could you fix it? No other work necessary.

I've spent some more time on Koppány. I improved on the way he is animated. Not the animations themselves, but on some minor issues on the meshs during the animations. I'll need to adjust the position of the camera and probably of the background. Also, there is trouble with the fur part regarding the TTorusFur shader which I couldn't restore properly so far. The mesh is plain black then, adjusting on the material colours does not help at all. I think I found a workaround though... Same troubles occur with Rákóczi btw. Well, the LH work will need to work till next weekend.

You are doing a great job on improving nitram's LHs :goodjob:
Hope he can help you solve those remaining issues!

Thanks, Absinthe and nitram! I can understand you, nitram, so no prob. But could you please provide me a link to you newer Szapolyai? The one I worked on, was the latest version I could find... Also, I'll come back to Álmos, but at first, I'll finish Koppány and Rákóczi. But I'll be able to work on them from weekend on. Today I'm tired and tomorrow will be match...

I have basically finished my work on Koppány. Some minor work on the shader maps maybe and that's it. However, I could not get the TTorusFor shader to work unfortunately.

About that other thing... well... what should I say... 0:4. Sounds like you watched in the stadium, Absinthe. If you did, you did well. That reporter on m1 was a true pain. Hope he gets firex within the next days so that I don't have to stand him again. The 'experts' in the studio weren't any better either. I thought I just see a different match then them. What did they await from the team? That we control the match against the vice world champion till the very last minute? Dreamers. Of course we have nothing to lose, but that doesn't mean that we just need to go out there to win the match. Although we can win a match, if we have a lucky punch. Actually, I found the first 45 minutes pretty okay. 3 chances for the Netherlands - even a team like Germany couldn't avoid that. And as the Netherlands are a pretty good team, they use their chances. Still, our players were well motivated and we were able to get some balls pretty early. Didn't find that the Netherlands ruled the match that much at this point. The 1:0 wasn't a big problem, but the unlucky 2:0 forced us to attack with everything we have. It's then logical that the Netherlands then get more chances as we need to play offensive. We had then the bad luck that we get the next two goals pretty soon. Then, we played more defensive again to not get too much goals as this might be important if we end with the same points as Sweden. The match was lost anyways at that point. After the 4:0 the reporter started to annoy pretty much. Lamentos like of a barfly. Or like of my grandpa. I hoped that much that Hungary has some luck and makes a goal, simply because that would have make the reporter shut up. Still, we got some chances at the end which proofs that the reporter talked BS as the motivation wasn't gone.

I haven't continued my work on the leaderheads yet, only worked on some civilopedia texts. The german texts are done and I have english texts for Hunyadi, Álmos and Koppány. Meanwhile, I remembered that Zerver made a Béla IV, http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=7772. Unfortunately, the file is down. Does anybody have a copy of it by hand? :mischief:

About that other thing... well... what should I say... 0:4. Sounds like you watched in the stadium, Absinthe. If you did, you did well.

Indeed, I watched the first match from the stadium in Budapest
No comments here, we didn't play well...

But in the second match yesterday :)
I dare to say, that overally we played better than the Dutch
When Gera scored his second goal, and made the game 3:3, I was sure we will at least tie with them, but maybe even win in the Amsterdam ArenA!!

Overally, I think noone should be disappointed, we played greatly
If only I saw this one live, and not the other one last friday :S
If we manage to improve defence a little bit, Sweden will be no problem at all!

Top Bottom