1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

HOF Civ5 Update Discussion

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Denniz, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Denniz

Denniz Where's my breakfast? Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

The Civilization V Hall of Fame has been updated. 28 games were accepted since the previous update.

Congratulations to zenmaster for the highest Firaxis score of the update with a Prince, Diplomacy, Marathon, Tiny, Great Plains, Spain (Isabella) [BNW] game for 7575 points.

zenmaster was the most active player during this update, submitting 6 games.

Only 3 players were brave enough to take on Deity this update
    blatc - 1350 AD, Turn 195, 4430 points, Deity, Science, Standard, Standard, Great Plains, Poland (Casimir III) [BNW]
    blatc - 1340 AD, Turn 194, 4489 points, Deity, Science, Standard, Standard, Great Plains, Poland (Casimir III) [BNW]
    Dines - 950 BC, Turn 255, 2123 points, Deity, Domination, Marathon, Huge, Pangaea, Huns (Attila) [BNW]
    Dines - 740 BC, Turn 276, 3050 points, Deity, Domination, Marathon, Huge, Pangaea, Huns (Attila) [BNW]
    Dines - 80 BC, Turn 342, 5531 points, Deity, Domination, Marathon, Standard, Pangaea, Greece (Alexander) [BNW]
    zenmaster - 1761 AD, Turn 780, 1663 points, Deity, Science, Marathon, Huge, Large Islands, Korea (Sejong) [BNW]

Gauntlet Results:
    G-Major LXXX - Domination, Emperor, Standard, Shuffle, Epic, Poland (Casimir III)
    1st zenmaster - 140 BC T-164
    2nd R.G.A.M. - 1750 AD T-385
    3rd walkyc - Jan 1942 AD T-535

G-Minor CXXXVIII - Culture, King, Standard, Fractal, Standard, Mongolia (Genghis Khan)
    1st zenmaster - 600 AD T-140
    2nd walkyc - 1840 AD T-290
    3rd Mighty Dwaarf - 1884 AD T-312

** New Gauntlets Starting **
    G-Major LXXXI - Science, Deity, Standard, Terra, Epic, Denmark (Harald)
    G-Minor CXXXIX - Domination, King, Standard, Small Continents, Standard, Greece (Alexander)

2. Denniz

Denniz Where's my breakfast? Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

A number of players earned Gold Medals this update:

Fastest Finish (Date):
    vadalaz - 1500 AD, Turn 210, 3352 points, Prince, Diplomacy, Standard, Standard, Tilted Axis, Austria (Maria Theresa) [BNW]
    zenmaster - 1235 AD, Turn 547, 7575 points, Prince, Diplomacy, Marathon, Tiny, Great Plains, Spain (Isabella) [BNW]

Score:
    zenmaster - 7575 points, 1235 AD, Turn 547, Prince, Diplomacy, Marathon, Tiny, Great Plains, Spain (Isabella) [BNW]

3. zenmaster

zenmaster Chieftain

Kudos to vadalaz on an outstanding Prince Tilted Axis Diplomacy game as Austria. Cromagnus had established a really high bar long ago, and it was finally cleared.

I had given that one a try several times-- either I couldn't get to Printing Press effectively fast enough or else I couldn't get everything done for the win by Cromagnus' T211. On a Tilted Axis map vadalaz' T210 win is incredibly fast. Well played!

Props also to blatc and Dines for playing some seriously intense Deity games. Huge Deity Domination is not for the faint of heart, and sub-200 Deity Science wins are serious accomplishments.

4. vadalaz

vadalaz Chieftain

Thanks, I was actually going for a sub-200 timing there, but the Huns spawned on a different continent despite the map being a "Pangaea", which almost took me too long to find.

Nice games yourself, by the way. Both gauntlets, a gold medal and two 500+ turn Marathon games - well done. ;)

5. Dines

Dines Chieftain

Thanks for the comments.
    My goal is to become the master of deity, marathon, pangea, standard+(size)
    But one record is a major challenge: vadalaz´ huge Arabia at 140 bc.
    I guess i should buy the last of the DLC´s, so i can take a look at your game, but that will further delay the time until i can upgrade my pc, and try civ6 ;-)

6. zenmaster

zenmaster Chieftain

Dines, you are off to a good start!

I bow down to your skill already, as Deity Domination is tough to master. I did a few NiceoneEmlyn specials (Deity, Huge, Marathon, Tiny Islands) and saw what that took. I have done a few Deity Domination on Duel and Tiny Maps for VVV purposes, but Standard size and beyond is a serious undertaking. You need to know all the tricks of the trade in Deity conquest.

Good luck besting some of those stellar vadalaz efforts. I enjoyed reading the posts on some of the Deity Domination gauntlets or challenges; it was interesting stuff on how to manage the Deity AI civs. That seems just as, if not even more, important than the unit tactics.

7. zenmaster

zenmaster Chieftain

Wow, getting the T210 Diplomacy with one of those non-Pangaea "Pangaeas" on Tilted Axis without the Huns to help out a bit is great work. I have been experimenting with Science and peaceful Diplomacy victories a bit, and was maybe going to try to beat Cromagnus' time with a wide peaceful Diplo game assuming I could get one of those salt-filled Tilted Axis starts. If I can get my wide science games going full guns, I may still give it a shot.

Thanks. None of my games were earthshaking, but I am largely just getting familiar with certain settings again, and filling in some VVV holes, with an eye toward hitting six figures in the VVV score as long as I've made it this far:mischief:. Fast Science wins (or peaceful Diplomacy wins in that vein) have always been something I have felt I needed to get better at to achieve, so I am working on approaches to hit some low times there.

The conquest part of Diplomacy wins (to hit World Leader vote at Atomic Theory) has always made them a bit of a slog for me with the time-consuming conquest, especially as you need to take the time and care to get EVERYTHING else beside the conquest part just about PERFECT to hit a really early World Leader vote. There is definitely a great feeling of satisfaction once you've gotten it done, but it always leaves me a bit drained :D. Your very fast Diplomacy wins always impress me the most, because I know exactly how many balls need to be juggled in the air properly to get there!

I know you and Manpanzee have shown Conquest can kick butt in Science victories too, and for many (most?) settings you can't beat conquering all but 2 AI civs in Diplomacy wins, but I am hoping to make peaceful approaches hit some decently fast times as well :).

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  8. Dines

Dines Chieftain

Well, i managed to push the arab record to 340 bc. (see next upgrade)
    So i am now the master of deity, domination, pangea, standard+(size) :)

The question is, where to go next. Enter the domain of niceoneemlyns naval records, or go lower speeds ?

smaller maps, especially duel, seems like a lottery to me.

9. vadalaz

vadalaz Chieftain

Good job!

Try the Zulu - I'd imagine they're really fun to play in a Marathon/Deity setting.

10. Dines

Dines Chieftain

So, i managed to beat the "weakest" of niceoneemlyns records, England, largeislands, pushing the record from 990ad to 715ad.
    But its really not my playing style. Naval maps is already a lot of waiting, and no action, and it seems like OCC is actually the best tactic.
    It took just 32 turns to take the remaing 9 capitals and instantly raze them, after navigation was developed.
    but i think i prefer the grind, and big land battles....

11. zenmaster

zenmaster Chieftain

Congrats on your victories so far!

Yes, the naval battles are a lot of waiting, especially at the slower speeds, and the win time depends a lot on your initial island mass. There are still some good standard size map and higher, standard speed and slower domination games there. I concur with vadalaz the Huns are fun, and you should try the Mongols as well. There is a Deity Great Plains Std/Std Mongol Domination win in the HoF I have been meaning to try I know.

12. Dines

Dines Chieftain

I think the mongol record you are refferring to is the marathon one ? And i have pushed that back to 1220 bc.(see next upgrade) Never made it to keshiks.....

In my transition from marathon to standard, im having a go at the Epic, Large, Zulu, tilted axis.(1545ad)
    I took me many restarts, but i did push it back to 1370.
    Unfortunately, i reloaded twice, because of 2 stupid clicking errors, so i cant submit it.
    But now i know the recipe :)

13. JWideman

JWideman Chieftain

I didn't get on the Go the Distance chart though I've completed all the maps. I looked to see what I'm missing, and it's standard - which I did very early on. Do I have to do all these during a single update?

14. vadalaz

vadalaz Chieftain

There are separate VVV tables for vanilla Civ5, GnK and BNW. Your standard size games were played in vanilla so they don't count towards the BNW tables.