1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

HOF Civ5 Update Discussion

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Denniz, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Denniz

Denniz Where's my breakfast? Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

The Civilization V Hall of Fame has been updated. 13 games were accepted since the previous update.

Congratulations to sexten for the highest Firaxis score of the update with a Settler, Science, Marathon, Huge, Highlands, Shoshone (Pocatello) [BNW] game for 10641 points.

zenmaster was the most active player during this update, submitting 7 games.

Only 1 player was brave enough to take on Deity this update:
    johncparr - 1888 AD, Turn 314, 1680 points, Deity, Science, Standard, Standard, Large Islands, Poland (Casimir III) [BNW]

Gauntlet Results:
    G-Major LXXXV - Science, King, Standard, Pangaea, Marathon, Babylon (Nebuchadnezzar II)

1st vadalaz - 1424 AD T-607
    2nd zenmaster - 1604 AD T-697

** New Gauntlets Starting **
    G-Major LXXXVI - Culture, Emperor, Large, Small Continents, Standard, Denmark (Harald)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    Noble Zarkon likes this.
  2. Denniz

Denniz Where's my breakfast? Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

A number of players earned Gold Medals this update:

Fastest Finish (Date):
    zenmaster - 950 BC, Turn 77, 5000 points, Immortal, Culture, Standard, Duel, Ice Age, Spain (Isabella) [BNW]
    zenmaster - 520 BC, Turn 62, 5655 points, King, Culture, Quick, Duel, Great Plains, Ethiopia (Haile Selassie) [BNW]
    zenmaster - 485 BC, Turn 141, 2288 points, Prince, Culture, Epic, Small, Small Continents, Indonesia (Gajah Mada) [BNW]
    zenmaster - 1660 BC, Turn 39, 4709 points, Settler, Culture, Quick, Tiny, Inland Sea, America (Washington) [BNW]
    zenmaster - 600 BC, Turn 91, 3016 points, Warlord, Culture, Standard, Small, Boreal, Celts (Boudicca) [BNW]

Score:
    zenmaster - 5000 points, 950 BC, Turn 77, Immortal, Culture, Standard, Duel, Ice Age, Spain (Isabella) [BNW]

dinanipedro and Noble Zarkon like this.
  3. MAGA

MAGA Chieftain

Not sure of a better place to post this, but I just wanted to thank everyone involved with the upkeep of - and competition in - the Hall of Fame. I first played Civ V in 2015, sucked hard for a few months (didn't recognize it at the time, but in retrospect...), and put the game away after getting tired of it. Discovering these forums and the HoF reignited my interest, and I've had a blast perusing old posts and going over the save files from some of the games in the HoF with a fine-toothed comb. I'm nowhere near as good as the top players, obviously, but I finally feel like I don't suck anymore. :) Mindlessly aping some of the things I've seen better players doing has produced pretty decent results (even got a gold medal! =D), but I'm finally starting to feel like I understand the game mechanics well enough to recognize why certain decisions get made and when it is appropriate to deviate from the default.

I'm currently making one final attempt to beat vadalaz's t260 victory on Diplomacy, Prince, Standard, Inland Sea, Epic, Ahmad al-Mansur (Morocco). Not sure I'll be able to manage, as that finish time is INSANE, but salt start + river/mountain/Petra capital + two good river/mountain expand locations (one with King Solomon's Mines) gives me about as good a chance as I'll ever have, I think. If I fail this time, I'll just have to concede that it's impossible (for me) and move on.

(As an aside, please refrain from identifying my gold medal game and stomping it into the ground. I'm aware that it's weak and could easily be beaten, but I'd like to hold on to the gold for at least one more update. Thanks. :lol:)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    zenmaster, vadalaz and dinanipedro like this.
  4. dinanipedro

dinanipedro highlander

congrats on the gold MAGA!:king:
    it is for sure one of those games you just keep coming back to.

great gauntlet results up there :thumbsup:

5. zenmaster

zenmaster Chieftain

Congratulations MAGA on some great games!

There is plenty of room for a variety of approaches on Science and Diplomacy wins, so feel free to theorycraft in the gauntlet or general forums also.

Huge thumbs up for playing some challenging victory conditions, as well. Prince and higher games for Science and Diplomacy victories definitely take strategy and skill to play well.
    :beer:

6. zenmaster

zenmaster Chieftain

Also, congrats to Vadalaz for perservering to a great Science finish time on Marathon in the gauntlet, despite the wonky timing issues!