HOF III August Gauntlet

superslug

Still hatin' on Khan
Hall of Fame Staff
For those who don't know me, I was the HOF admin some years ago. I'm subbing in for Tone today as his internet connections are little unstable at the moment.

With today's update, I finally regained my Quartermaster status. In order to test my own commitment to staying on the list, I'm challenging everyone to throw back off the list by beating the game that got me back on:

Level: Regent
Mapsize: Small
Victory Condition: Spaceship

You have two months to play if you wish to participate. Please submit your games by October 15th 2011. Good luck to all competitors. Anything before 1740AD is going to spell trouble for me. :D

Well, regent I can handle, and 1740 is pretty late. The Iroquois were an unusual choice for launching the spaceship. Since I don't enjoy early warfare, I think I'll go with a more traditional choice, probably Sumeria. I don't have the hut-popping knack, and agricultural will help out with my lack-luster expansion. If I can break 1600 I'll be happy.

Boy, the small spaceship tables are pretty empty.

It was my first game back after no submissions for four years, so I used the Iroquois mostly out of fond memories of early warfare. Hit Leonardo's and upgraded to cavalry for an AI sweep. 1740 is probably a really bad date actually...

Options are Russia, Sumaria, Greece/Korea or Ott/Persia

Russia with huts still has a lot going for it even on small, on Smaller maps Greece/Koreas commercial traits are strengthened, Faster workers of Ott/Persia is good as is the Sumerian Agrigultural trait for settler factories.

With today's update, I finally regained my Quartermaster status. In order to test my own commitment to staying on the list, I'm challenging everyone to throw back off the list by beating the game that got me back on:

Level: Regent
Mapsize: Small
Victory Condition: Spaceship

So much for enjoying your moment of glory. You better get to work. :)

It was my first game back after no submissions for four years, so I used the Iroquois mostly out of fond memories of early warfare. Hit Leonardo's and upgraded to cavalry for an AI sweep. 1740 is probably a really bad date actually...

Well, I can only move you down one spot. I have to agree with you about 1740 as slow... even if you have but one city.

Sheesh...I really am screwed. Well, unless I do okay in this gauntlet.

I've got a good game with Sumeria going on, but I have no idea yet how well I'll top my date.

Go with Russia. On small maps you usually get enough huts to get into the MA.

A good date should be between 1000AD and 1200AD

I'll see if I can get a game going. My entries won't hurt your placings though;)

@Calis: good call on Russia. That's a much faster start then Sumeria.

I think I have one quite good game going.

I am playing as Russia. Researched CB and got SGL. It waited for a while, even scouted a bit. Built Pyramids in 3100 BC in popped town St. Petersburgh.

Later researched Writing->CoL>Philo>Republic. Traded or popped all other technologies.

Now it's 1830 BC, I've traded for all the first tier techs and got Chivalry as my free technology.

Planning to trigger Golden Age ASAP by building Colossus and Mausoleum of Mausollus.

It;s hard to predict, but I think I 'll finish in 650-750 AD.

Attachments

• Small regent spaceship.jpg
    Small regent spaceship.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 118
I got a submission in at 1615ad, so I'm improving.

I'm trying to get in a third win on this, but I'm getting way too picky on my maps. I've gone through hundreds and wound up abandoning all of them.

I'm running Mapfinder like a fiend.

In my current game, the Byzantines violated ROP by burning three of my cities to the ground in a sneak attack. How did the dumb AI know my SOD on their border was attacking them the next turn?

You need to be picky with your games at the beginning. Terrific starting location, you get a settler from a goody hut, you get an SGL, you enter the Middle ages at the latest by 1800ish BC. ;)

Top Bottom