HOF III February '12 Gauntlet

Tone

Deity
Hall of Fame Staff
Naok has requested a 100K game. All of the smaller sized maps at lower levels have full tables but this one loooks like it should be easy to chart in:

Level: Warlord
Mapsize: Small
Victory Condition: 100K (80K in conquests)

As usual you have two months to play if you wish to participate. Please submit your games by April 15th 2012.

Feel free to post game details here. I always enjoy reading about good games-especially with pictures!

Good luck to all competitors.

I am still hoping to find a good game for the January Gauntlet but I may leave MapFinder searching for a start.

Looking in other threats it seems good to
- play with the celts.
- go for SGL for Pyramids, then build ToA, SoZ, Hanging Gardens ans Sistine Chapel.
- build settlers first, then temple, library or cathedral
- placement CxC

Some questions :
- opponents : with not scientific civs ?
- what means "whip out a settler" ? or "whip culture" ?
- I need explanation about the dom limit ? How big ? What for is it ?
- Government : stay in Rep or go for Feudalism ?

At warlord level scientific oppponents will help, in my 540AD regent game I chose Babylon, Russia and Germany as I used them for free techs on the gift up, I chose these as they would give me SGL attempts at Masonry and Alphabet, then go writing, col and philo for slingshot.

All those wonders have value, with Pyramids and TOA being necessary, dont bother building temples, as TOA builds them for you,

Whip simply means pop rushing, for one population in feudalism (or despo) you get 20 shields, so if you have granary and 5 excess food per turn, then you can grow in 2 turns (pyramids gives you the granries), as agricultural not letting your town go below 2 (if you can work 2 irrigated grasslands) in feudalism. For whipping settlers if you have an area with excessive food, (10 food per turn) this works really well because to whip a settler you need size 5 towns.

My personel preference is to stay in republic until you have almost enough settlers for all your towns you need eventually (cash rushing) and have learned mono, feud and engineering, invention and gunpowder. And possibly theology, and have at least 6 luxuries hooked up.

The reason why Gunpowder is important is it gives you a sixty shield unit for part rushing, you want to rush a cathedral or library, you have a size 2 town with 2 irrigated grass and nothing else you can work except say hills, then after 2 turns of growth you need to make a pop rush, so you swicth to walls and rush for 20 shields, switch back, two turns later use a longbow or medievel infantry, then back to original building, then 2 turns later your musket, then two turns later you rush library

When a town has completed its culture Library, Cathedral, Colloseum, then turn it into a tax farm, you will need these as your building maintenance goes up.

Domination limit is the limit at which you trigger a domination victory, thus negating your 100K attempt. A utility will help you with this, or the F8 screen and stay at under 64%.

Thanks Del. Some thoughts and questions .... ;)

At warlord level scientific oppponents will help, in my 540AD regent game I chose Babylon, Russia and Germany as I used them for free techs on the gift up, I chose these as they would give me SGL attempts at Masonry and Alphabet, then go writing, col and philo for slingshot.

I thought to take Korea, Greek and Byzantin, to go for SGL at Masonry and hope to trade for Alphabet, then Rep slingshot.

All those wonders have value, with Pyramids and TOA being necessary, dont bother building temples, as TOA builds them for you.

I thought to understand if you hand build temples and then ToA you have double culture ? And as Celts you have cheap temples. Isn´t it valuable ?

Whip simply means pop rushing, for one population in feudalism (or despo) you get 20 shields, so if you have granary and 5 excess food per turn, then you can grow in 2 turns (pyramids gives you the granries), as agricultural not letting your town go below 2 (if you can work 2 irrigated grasslands) in feudalism. For whipping settlers if you have an area with excessive food, (10 food per turn) this works really well because to whip a settler you need size 5 towns.

So as soon as I am in Feudalism, I should go max foooooood and pop rushing settlers as many and long as needed (how many cities should I except to have ?) and then libraries and so on ? ..... Strategy one ?

My personel preference is to stay in republic until you have almost enough settlers for all your towns you need eventually (cash rushing) and have learned mono, feud and engineering, invention and gunpowder. And possibly theology, and have at least 6 luxuries hooked up.

Or stay in Rep and cash rush settlers as many and long as needed and then libraries and so on ? ..... Strategy two ?

The reason why Gunpowder is important is it gives you a sixty shield unit for part rushing, you want to rush a cathedral or library, you have a size 2 town with 2 irrigated grass and nothing else you can work except say hills, then after 2 turns of growth you need to make a pop rush, so you swicth to walls and rush for 20 shields (meaning one point population?), switch back, two turns later use a longbow or medievel infantry, then back to original building, then 2 turns later your musket, then two turns later you rush library.

This for strategy one ?

On building temples, for the amount of double culture you will get, I suspect the shields may be better invested elsewhere,though you may get a few in pre TOA.

I would not cash rush culture but use statergy one for this, it is settlers and workers, I managed to squeeze 170 cities in in my game, I would probably switch to feudalism when I have enough settlers to build 150 cities, though I am not sure if this is correct.

Yes the last bit is for statergy one, pop rush in feudalsim,

About max food, this is correct for corrupt cities, but shields in your core still have use.

I would hand-build temples in core cities before you learn poly, but not anywhere you'd pop-rush. For the 30 shields of a hand-built temple, you can have a settler which also gives you a free temple, so you get the culture-doubling effect as soon as you settle the next town, rather than in 1000 years.

30-shield temples aren't actually that great - you either spend 2 pop on them or you put in 10 turns before you pop-rush.

Once you get into feudalism, have your corrupt cities build wealth while they grow; this will help cover your maintenance costs.

When I first build a city in these games , I like to pull of a worker on planting a city, you have a lot of irrigating to do.

To change from 100k to 80k, I can do it "manually" ? ...... in the second screen before to begin a new game I go to the game limits and then change the value of the total culture ?

No, in Conquests it does it automatically for you. You don't want to edit options like that, it'll probably (almost surely) mess up your submission.

I suggest that you use the 4000 BC checker on the HOF III site.

A month ago that I finished that game. It took me time to make a report but here it is. There wont be a lot of details.

Finished date : 720AD

Settings : warm, arid (which was not such a good idea), 5 bi, no barb ; against Babylon, Germany and Russia.

Here is the start :

Anyway the big deal was to get a SGL for Masonry for Pyramids. Here it is :

Then I went for the Rep slighshot .... and oh I got a second SGL for CoL. I am gonna keep it for the ToA.

I expanded within Republic. I produced a lot of settlers in my core cities and built very few cultural buildings, except for my capital which has building wonder after wonder (this was also not such a good idea ... better to go for settlers first and leave the wonders for later, except for Pyramids and ToA for sure). In the others cities, I built worker, worker and then started cultural buildings.
During this time, I also reduce Babylon to one city (by the end of the game I gave them 3 cities to stay under dom limit).

I soon as I though to have enough cities and settlers (around 150) I switched to Feudalism. I took me some time to realize that I could have 20 cities more. All cities where pop-rushing cultural buildings (mostly library and cathedral .... colosseum only in some cities where population grew fast) ... and then wealth to pay maintenance of all buildings. At some time in feudalism I made -70 gold.

By the end of the game not all of my cities had library and cathedral. A last screen shot of my empire in 390AD :

I wont find time to make another try for this gauntlet as I have very little time and when I play it is for the current gauntlet. But for sure I will have another try (i Think on chieftain and tiny) some days (even if population rushing is boring).

Well done Naok. 720AD takes the #1 slot in Warlord Small 100K by 100 years!

Gauntlet closed.

Top Bottom