HOF III February Gauntlet

Tone

Deity
Hall of Fame Staff
We've got a Deity game going on atm so how about something at the other end of the spectrum for a bit of balance?

Game details:

Level: Warlord
Mapsize: Standard
Victory Condition:Diplomatic

There are spare slots on the table so let's try and get a full set of 10 games here.

It's a two month deadline again so please submit your games by April 15th 2011. Good luck to all competitors.

:hmm: That table seems to be full. Or am I looking wrong. Also, if I am not wrong that was a gauntlet several months ago, won by spoonwood.

:hmm: That table seems to be full. Or am I looking wrong. Also, if I am not wrong that was a gauntlet several months ago, won by spoonwood.

You are quite right Calis. I have Domination on the brain I guess. The VC should have read Diplomatic. Now corrected!

For my date, I got an early SGL, a popped settler and a popped town, the thing that slowed me down early on was it took a while to meet most of the AI and a bad roll on hut popping for techs towards end of age.

I had two of these started. One I just quit. Another one, after having a problem with another game that Tone knows about, I checked my 4000 BC save and learned I accidently had cultural conversions turned off in that one. This isn't exactly my thing, though I guess I still have time to go.

560 AD with Persia. I had a lot of jungle and marsh to clear. Russia probably will work better in general for this.

so how about something at the other end of the spectrum for a bit of balance?

It might be a good idea in general to have one high level game (say Emperor to Sid) and one low level (say chieftain to Monarch) in the monthly interval!?!?

Just like the current situation I mean.

January: deity
February: warlord
March: demigod
April: regent
May: sid
June: chieftain
and
so
on

Any opinions?

I like this idea. Deity and Sid games are really out of my reach, but this would always give me a game I could try with reasonable success. I'd probably be able to submit something for most gauntlets this way, and alternating games I'm trying to win with games I'm trying to win quickly makes for a more pleasant playing experience for me.

I like that also. I also don't think we want to have a conquest and a domination back to back, or a spaceship and a diplomatic game back to back as those games play too similarly in my opinion. Although, with varying difficulty level like that, they might play differently enough.

I have turned in a 450AD finish.

But on two occasions I got optional techs as my feebees (Chivalry & Sanitation). So a date under 400AD is quite possible.

A bit more in detail, what could have been better in my game.

1. I just got an SGL for my third tech, so The Pyramids came rather late around 3000BC). (Impact: maybe 2-3 turns?)
2. Stupid me selected two non-sci civs. You should not drink and play civ :crazyeye: (Impact: maybe 1-2 turns?)
3. Not lucky with freebees. (Chivalry in MA and Sanitation in IA) (Impact: probably 8 turns)
4. AI did not get Fission as free tech. So my prebuild could not be used, but I had to use an SGL 1 turn later (Impact: 1 turn)

So to sum it up: It should be possible to finish this around 330AD.

4. AI did not get Fission as free tech. So my prebuild could not be used, but I had to use an SGL 1 turn later (Impact: 1 turn)

Assuming your pre-build isnt your first city, which unless you have switched capitals it could not be, then could you have completed something in your capital and if you got fission swicth your prebuild.

Assuming your pre-build isnt your first city, which unless you have switched capitals it could not be, then could you have completed something in your capital and if you got fission swicth your prebuild.

:confused: But that has to happen in the same turn. Otherwise the prebuild will be completed, as UN need 1000 shields, so does any possible prebuild. Am I misunderstanding something?

Yes, del62 is saying that if your prebuild is not in your capital, if you build something in the capital that completes that IBT, this gives you an additional opportunity to change your prebuild over to the UN - select Zoom to City, and scroll ahead to your prebuild city.

Additionally, I think if you select fission as the tech to research next (before going to gift up the other civs), if you learn it as your freebie, you will be asked about what tech to learn next, giving you the opportunity to break into your city list and change the prebuild over.

I am saying what CKS says about a build finishing in your capital and you can go into the city and select through cities till u find your pre-build - if you have fission you can switch

I think you can do this - but I havent actually done it.

I presume Calis is the winner?
Thanks for the reminder. Not being around for the update has caused a few problems!

Gold: Calis 450AD
Silver: Spoonwood 560AD
Bronze: CKS 1080AD

Top Bottom