1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

HOF III February Update

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Tone, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Tone

Tone Deity Hall of Fame Staff

The Civilization III Hall of Fame has been updated. 5 games were accepted since the previous update.

Huge congratulations go to Drazek for the highest Firaxis score EVER in the history of the Civ III Hall of Fame with a Huge Sid Histographic game for 90216 points.

del62 was the most active player during this update, submitting 3 games.

Congratulations also go to del62 for winning the latest Gauntlet. Details of the new Gauntlet can be found here.

2. Tone

Tone Deity Hall of Fame Staff

Congratulations to del62 for rising from 5th to 3rd, to Marsden for rising from 15th to 14th, to sanabas for rising from 19th to 18th, to archphoenix for rising from 23rd to 22nd, to Sandman2003 for rising from 32nd to 31st, to krakedhalo for rising from 35th to 34th and to superslug for rising from 38th to 37th in the Quartermasters competition.
    Commiserations to Tone for falling from 3rd to 4th, to Chamnix for falling from 4th to 5th, to Bartleby for falling from 14th to 15th, to Karl_t_great for falling from 18th to 19th, to Denniz for falling from 22nd to 23rd, to Rustwork for falling from 31st to 32nd, to Pentium for falling from 34th to 35th and to Brennan for falling from 37th to 38th in the Quartermasters competition.

A number of players are working towards the Quartermaster, gaining awards as follows:
    Machiavelli : PrinceMyshkin rose from 7th to 6th, del62 rose from 10th to 7th, bluejay rose from 13th to 12th, Moonsinger rose from 14th to 13th and FadeAwayNot rose from 40th to 39th.
    Pentathlon : Dianthus rose from 27th to 26th, Karl_t_great rose from 28th to 27th, EMan rose from 36th to 35th and Quintillus rose from 50th to 49th.
    Octathlon : sanabas rose from 8th to 7th and DWetzel rose from 32nd to 31st.
    Histographic : Drazek rose from 23rd to 1st.

3. Spoonwood

Spoonwood Grand Philosopher

Congrats Drazek!

So let me get this straight... you researched Alphabet, Writing, and then Philosophy at full tilt. The English got you Code of Laws, which you managed to trade for, immediately declared war on England, and then finished with The Republic slingshot. You got an SGL which you used for the Temple of Artemis. You pillaged at your borders on occasion to pick up techs, and gpt for free, correct?

When did you learn Replaceable Parts and Sanitation?

How long did you take to find such a high domination limit map where you had an early lucky event like that SGL you got early?

4. Lord Emsworth

Lord Emsworth Emperor

Awesowe! Now where is the writeup?

5. bluejay

bluejay Warlord

Spoonwood, is this all just your informed conjecture, or can it be deduced from the 1000BC save?

6. Calis

Calis on time

Drazek informed about his start some time ago.

But looking at Spoonwoods current game, this score will probably be chrushed soon.

7. Spoonwood

He did? Where? I actually conjectured most of that from his 1000 BC and his 10 AD save.

As for crushing his game... well... via CrPViewer at 900 AD Drazek had a score of 17,582 with some 4588 tiles under his control. He has a domination limit if 4598. In 900 AD I had a score of 17,068 with fewer tiles under my control and a domination limit of 4519. So, I don't think I'll crush Drazek's game.

8. Lord Emsworth

Lord Emsworth Emperor

9. Calis

Calis on time

@Emsworth: Yapp.

@Spoonwood. I might be wrong. It just seemed that you are gaining score like mad. I had no comparison, as Drazek has no writeup.

10. Spoonwood

Thanks Calis. If you didn't know already, CrPViewer tells you each turn's score. Just click F8 to move forward a turn (F7 to move back a turn) at your own pace.

11. superslug

superslug Still hatin' on Khan Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

YES! I DID IT! :woohoo::hammer2::hammer::yup:[pimp]:band:[party]:dance::rockon::beer::trophy2:

12. Drazek

Drazek Warlord

Thanks. Something like that. I don't remember details as I started the game over 2 years ago. I was very afraid that Babylon would attack me too early, so I MA'd them against the English early.

It took a while to setup the trade routes correctly, but then I got massive amount of GPT from the AIs. Side effect was that they were very happy with me with all the trading, so I didn't have to fear about backstabs. The Germans were really powerful, and I was a bit scared attacking in the end, but due to land shape, I managed to have almost all their troops prisoned in the old Korean lands, which all poofed when the last city fell.

RP around 800CE and Sanitation in 970 CE. I made a mistake researching Industrialization in between, and it took a while to get enough scientists to reach 4 turn research rate.

I had been running Mapfinder for months, and found hundreds of maps with over 4550 domination limit. There were also many maps with over 4600 domination limit, the highest was 4636.

Now thinking about huge Sid milk, I would try to find a map where very early domination is possible instead of just max tile count. In this game, I got lots of room to expand peacefully, but for some reason my conquest didn't work out fast enough. I reached domination limit at around 850 CE (gave Germans extra turns as I had good GPT coming from them.)

In next game I will try to have faster tech pace (not making world war too early), and get to Railroads, Sanitation and Replaceable Parts ASAP. With combat settlers, artillery, and railroads, infantry isn't much of a problem.

13. AutomatedTeller

AutomatedTeller Frequent poster

Congratulations, drazek! well done!

14. EMan

EMan HOFer: Milk-Cow? Supporter

Congratulations Drazek to the Top Dog Spot and breaking the 90K barrier. :goodjob: :goodjob:

Perhaps you will induce Moonsinger out of Civ3 "retirement", like the last time her score was beaten! :lol:

When you talk about your "next game", are you planning another Sid Huge Histographic? :)

15. Moonsinger

Moonsinger Settler Retired Moderator

I concur! Definitely huge congratulations to Drazek! :goodjob: I have always known that my high score was beatable, but I didn't expect to see it in my lifetime. Most importantly, I'm happy to see that Civ3 community is still alive and well.

Hi EMan, I'm glad that you are still around.:) I hope you won't get the wrong idea, but I sometimes think of you.

16. EMan

Ahhhhh Moonsinger, we've missed you. It's good to see you are still lurking around here.

Are you planning a Civ 3 Comeback? :)

17. superslug

superslug Still hatin' on Khan Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Some of us will just never completely disappear, will we?

18. EMan

Speaking of disappearing/appearing, did anyone see the March update or did no one submit any games? :)

19. Calis

Calis on time

I saw it. But it were just 3 games, I believe.

20. EMan