1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

HOF III March Gauntlet

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Tone, Mar 25, 2011.

1. del62

del62 Chieftain

Who were your opponents?

2. bluejay

bluejay Chieftain

China, America, Mongols, Arabia, Russia, Inca. I used them once to trade for Warrior Code, and once in a peace settlement to get Writing, which I used for embassies and city investigation. I stopped research after Horseback Riding. Basically I followed the lead of Calis, who had a 210BC finish with Iroquois.

3. Calis

Calis on time

I am so glad that I gave you some advice ;)

But I will also try to give it a shot, if time allows it.

4. bluejay

bluejay Chieftain

This isn't the start that I ended up using, because one tribe was on a separate island, but this has the most cows that I've ever seen from the starting location. Eleven!

Attached Files:

Spoonwood likes this.
  5. Calis

Calis on time

:faint:

Spoonwood likes this.
  6. Ceoladir

Ceoladir Inconceivable!

Save please.

7. bluejay

bluejay Chieftain

The 11-cow save, I assume.

Attached Files:

8. Calis

Calis on time

Got my game accepted:

430BC with the Celts

Dom limit 1107 (It was a really perfect map).

9. Tone

Tone Chieftain Hall of Fame Staff

Only two submissions but both were top quality, beating everthing that was on the table before this. Good job guys! :goodjob: The lower domination limit was critical though.

Gold Calis 430BC
    Silver bluejay 270BC

Update and new gauntlet are on the way...

10. del62

del62 Chieftain

Well done Calis and Blujay, most of my attempts ended with a Civ on another Island, so I submitted a couple of domination instead

11. bluejay

bluejay Chieftain

Thank you.

For a Large Conquest on 80% Pangaea, you need quite a small domination limit to guarantee that all civs are on one continent.

I did an experiments, as follows. I set Mapfinder to allow every map (only criterion was domination limit >0). I did a few hundred maps and put the DLs into Excel, and found that the mean was DL was about 1250 with a standard deviation of about 50.

Then, for many maps, I started up, settled in place, then retired. This lets me see where the civs started. I found that you need to have a DL of under 1150, 2 standard deviations down from the mean, to have a good likelihood of all civs being on one continent. I was lucky with my submitted game, DL = 1208. Calis was lucky to find a good map with DL of 1107, but then he must have played it well to get such an early win.

12. Calis

Calis on time

I was very lucky with my map, yes. After the game finished, I saw that there was not one single small island besides my continent. It was a true pangea map. I do not think that much below 1107 is possible.

But I did not have 11 cows... ;)

13. bluejay

bluejay Chieftain

On my submitted game, I *only* had 4 cows in my capital's 21 squares. Calis had 2, but a better map otherwise.

14. Calis

Calis on time

Don't get me wrong. I was just kidding. I am aware that my map was great.

15. bluejay

bluejay Chieftain

Yes, I understood the kidding, even without the added smiley face. :)

16. CKS

CKS Chieftain

I finally finished my game, as a conquest. The missing AI were on an island reachable by GLH galleys, but my naval invasion skills are only marginally better than the AI's. I finished up in 680 AD. This was an interesting experience, but not my cup of tea. Maybe with the next gauntlet I can finish within the time allotted.

17. Spoonwood

Spoonwood Grand Philosopher

If the capital were on the bonus grassland at the "2" position, it would have 9 grassland cows, and 3 hills in its city radius. Pre-Engineering that's (((3x3)+(9x2))+2)=29 shields. Once you forest all the cows, that's another 9 shields, for 38 shields pre-Shake's. Post-Shake's you have some 16 more shields, I think, for 54 shields total.