HOF III October/November Gauntlet

Tone

Deity
Hall of Fame Staff
The settings for the next gauntlet are as follows:

Level: Chieftain
Mapsize: Large
Victory Condition:Spaceship

Please submit your games by December 15th. Good luck to all competitors.

Ahh - a goody hut popping, SGL farming extravaganza!!!

LOL, this. Though, you really don't need that many SGLs -- something for Pyramids would be nice I guess?

Russia seems the obvious choice here.

yeah - you need one, for pyramids.

I think the original one for this style went until he got one for CB and a settler pop from a hut.

I think the winning plan will be:

100% science for CB, turn off research.
Pop a settler from a hut.
Pop or trade for masonry.
pop all the rest of the AA techs. Revolt soonest.

Tech like mad.

The settings for the next gauntlet are as follows:

Level: Chieftain
Mapsize: Large
Victory Condition:Spaceship

Please submit your games by November 15th. Good luck to all competitors.

Great thats my number 1 position gone, I am not sure I will try to defend it though, I am in the middle of a huge demigod histographic game which is taking up all my civ time.

Sorry about that, del62. I'll have to make sure that I select one of mine next time, unless someone makes a suggestion before I get there!

I might give this one a go as well. If I do I'm bound to use Russia. Flat, wet and max opponants wth only Babylon left out as far as scientifics go. The non-scientifics will probably include France and Carthage for maximum Alpha/Mas trading options. Spam scouts- an early settler would also be very welcome.

I'll probably ditch a map if I don't get an SGL in the first three techs but I'll see when it comes to it. I don't like constantly replaying the opening 30-50 turns and then giving up nice positions. Particularly now that my civ time is limited.

More than one SGL would be nice (but not essential). Immediate builds for the science wonders in the middle ages and, if I have a coastal town in my core, a second SGL for Colossus would be nice or maybe even for the FP if I don't. Maybe a prebuild willl do for the latter though.

A few luxes would be great to keep the science at 100% once the core is developed-no penalty for spending more than you have at this level, as long as you are not giving gpt to the AI at the same time of course. ;)

Now, what else would I put on my wish list? Time to get mapfinder running...

I wonder if another expansionist civ might be worthwhile.

Russia (obviously) gives you a shot at 3 2nd level techs, but there's 1/3 out in the MA that it will be chivalry, 4 out of 6 in the IA that it will be communism, fascism, ironclads or sanitation and, I dunno, 1 out 4 in the MA that it will be recycling - which is about an 87% chance that at least one of your free techs will be useful. i wonder if someone like inca (agri giving faster growth) or hitttites (less corruption, little more gold) might work, too?

probably not, no...

Great thats my number 1 position gone, I am not sure I will try to defend it though, I am in the middle of a huge demigod histographic game which is taking up all my civ time.

Don't worry. I had my Map Finder running on that anyway. As you took away my No. 1 position here. So that gauntlet meets my plans :thumbsup: :D

I wonder if another expansionist civ might be worthwhile.

Russia (obviously) gives you a shot at 3 2nd level techs, but there's 1/3 out in the MA that it will be chivalry, 4 out of 6 in the IA that it will be communism, fascism, ironclads or sanitation and, I dunno, 1 out 4 in the MA that it will be recycling - which is about an 87% chance that at least one of your free techs will be useful. i wonder if someone like inca (agri giving faster growth) or hitttites (less corruption, little more gold) might work, too?

probably not, no...

I am sure that on a large map, no other civ can challenge the Russians.

yeah - you need one, for pyramids.

I think the original one for this style went until he got one for CB and a settler pop from a hut.

I think the winning plan will be:

100% science for CB, turn off research.
Pop a settler from a hut.
Pop or trade for masonry.
pop all the rest of the AA techs. Revolt soonest.

Tech like mad.

The question is do you use the wheel for that SGL chance and have another scientific civ in the game, can be useful especially for the modern age, or do you go with CB?

I am sure that on a large map, no other civ can challenge the Russians.

I dunno - an agri civ can expand faster, and the chasqui can be used to take other civs. The question is, does the extra food and faster expansion produce enough extra research to offset a couple of free techs and cheaper buildings?

OK, you take the Incans and I take the Russians. Deal? ;)

If I build the Pyramids early with the Russians, I can expand quite fast.

And the half priced libs/unis are also very important. The tech pace is so insanely fast, that the delay due to high shield cost of these buildings can be fatal.

oh, I'm taking the russians :)

I might try a game to see if the incans can compete, though...

I'm assuming pyramids early in any case - there's no way a game without pyramids will finish within 500 years of a game with pyramids

8 important things are rerquired

1. Popping an early settler
2. The ability to hook up enough luxuries early enough to allow 0 pc luxury rate asap in middle ages
3. Enough fast growth cities
4. Tech popping
5. Meeting enough science civs by end of ancient age
6. Not drawing chivalry, nationalism / fascim /communism and ecology
7 Early SGL (though not necessarily on first tech)
8. A coastal city close to Capital for Colossus, to allow early Middlae Age GA

1. Popping an early settler

:yup:

2. The ability to hook up enough luxuries early enough to allow 0 pc luxury rate asap in middle ages

3. Enough fast growth cities

Two early settler factories would be perfect, but that requires quite some food res. before Republic.

4. Tech popping

5. Meeting enough science civs by end of ancient age

6. Not drawing chivalry, nationalism / fascim /communism and ecology

You do not have much influence on this, but :yup:

7 Early SGL (though not necessarily on first tech)

But preferably with the first tech...

8. A coastal city close to Capital for Colossus, to allow early Middlae Age GA

And with what second wonder (SCI) would you trigger the GA? I also had good results with early IA GAs.

And with what second wonder (SCI) would you trigger the GA? I also had good results with early IA GAs.

MoM is cheap and scientific.

Edit : and useful in your capital, at least more useful than Great Library on this sort of game.

Right. Forgot about that. Never built it in my fast teching games. As I mentioned, I usually triggered the GA with Newton's.

You WILL get an early settler - just build scouts.

On a large map, it's not all that uncommon to get multiple cow starts, so that's a key.

The key is when you can get to 4 turn research, which should be sometime in the middle ages - though, it's possible that on this size map, the winning game will only get it sometimes.

I'll be fishing for an CB SGL and will almost certainly completely turn off research after that until medival times, to build up some wealth for rushing libs and unis.

Luxuries will be terrifically important in this game, as well. they will be spread apart.

What % water will guys go? 60% gives the most land and huts - 70% will bring the luxes and early trade targets closer, though.

Top Bottom