Resource icon

HoF Map Finder/Generator Utility 2016-10-05

Ok, well this is embarrassing. Because I'm pretty sure I got it to work after I ran it as an admin. I thought I had done that already, though sometimes I forget you need to run it that way every time, unless you set it up otherwise. You do that with anything on windows these days!

What helped remind me to do this was getting this error at one point. I only saw this error once I think, so it probably doesn't always occur, even if it wasn't run as admin, either that or it can just take a while. So if you see this, make sure you are running it as an admin =)

Attachments

• Map Finder error.PNG
    Map Finder error.PNG
    50.1 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:
Other observations:

Besides my silly oversight, setting this utility up was really simple. Just DLed, unzipped, put it in my Civ3Complete folder (though I don't think this matters), ran it (make sure as admin), open civ3 and start a game, set up some rule sets and the correct autosave folder, and off it goes when you hit start. Thanks!

Some other questions I had:

Does the utility really only check your rules against the visible tiles you start out on? I was hoping it would at least check the 21 tiles your city would normally occupy, if you built it right where you start out. But from the comments I've read, it seems like only visible tiles and there is no way to configure it to check otherwise? I understand this for HoF game purposes, but I don't plan on using this for that, but just to find some better starting positions. It seems like complicated ruleSets could be rejected simply because you don't see enough tiles. E.g. you start out with no hills/mountains 2 tiles out and your ruleSet requires that there be at least 10 tiles of some exclusive types. Anyway, definitely better than nothing, now that it is working. I'll probably have to simplify some ruleSets though.

When it is checking for fresh water, is it necessary that it be right next to your settler, or just within sight? Maybe this is the difference between choosing 'fresh water' vrs choosing river/lake?

Also, the "OR" condition seems pretty useless to me, unless I misunderstand how it works. Seems like if you put any "OR" condition in your set, then only that single condition with the OR would need to be met for it to be considered acceptable. Like you couldn't do logic such as (A and B) OR (C and D), right? But I guess that is what lots of ruleSets are for.

Hello, I just created my account. Can anyone help me using the mapfinder to find a settler factory?
I mean how to set the rules, etc. (if possible with a picture)
I tried looking at some pages behind but no luck.

thanks before

Hello, I just created my account. Can anyone help me using the mapfinder to find a settler factory?
I mean how to set the rules, etc. (if possible with a picture)
I tried looking at some pages behind but no luck.

thanks before

If not playing as agricultural, you might try this:

upload_2017-5-28_4-43-2.png

If playing as agricultural, just decrease the cattle on grassland to 0.

Also, weaker combinations will work.

This works with my computer, though the autosave and output probably will need to differ for your computer:

View attachment 471795

Thanks!

Actually I thought of playing Civ3 again after a long break (My first PC game ever xD) and this time going to try Sid level. That's when I found SirPleb thread here which is so inspiring.
Nice to see there's still activity for Civ3 forum :)

oot:
About the Settler Factory, how do you make it actually? do you create granary first then start building Settler, or do you make Worker-Warrior-Granary-then start Settler producing ?

Last edited:
About the Settler Factory, how do you make it actually? do you create granary first then start building Settler, or do you make Worker-Warrior-Granary-then start Settler producing ?

It depends on your start. I wouldn't start with Sid level. Much lower. Get basic things down cold first.

It depends on your start. I wouldn't start with Sid level. Much lower. Get basic things down cold first.

What exactly do you mean with 'basic things'? Well I'm not an expert (that's why I'm looking here for suggestion/strategies) xD
But I've played it before (what I mean from my post above) up to Emperor difficulty if I remember correctly :)

Any kind of advice is welcome :)

Other observations:

Besides my silly oversight, setting this utility up was really simple. Just DLed, unzipped, put it in my Civ3Complete folder (though I don't think this matters), ran it (make sure as admin), open civ3 and start a game, set up some rule sets and the correct autosave folder, and off it goes when you hit start. Thanks!

Some other questions I had:

Does the utility really only check your rules against the visible tiles you start out on? I was hoping it would at least check the 21 tiles your city would normally occupy, if you built it right where you start out. But from the comments I've read, it seems like only visible tiles and there is no way to configure it to check otherwise? I understand this for HoF game purposes, but I don't plan on using this for that, but just to find some better starting positions. It seems like complicated ruleSets could be rejected simply because you don't see enough tiles. E.g. you start out with no hills/mountains 2 tiles out and your ruleSet requires that there be at least 10 tiles of some exclusive types. Anyway, definitely better than nothing, now that it is working. I'll probably have to simplify some ruleSets though.

When it is checking for fresh water, is it necessary that it be right next to your settler, or just within sight? Maybe this is the difference between choosing 'fresh water' vrs choosing river/lake?

Also, the "OR" condition seems pretty useless to me, unless I misunderstand how it works. Seems like if you put any "OR" condition in your set, then only that single condition with the OR would need to be met for it to be considered acceptable. Like you couldn't do logic such as (A and B) OR (C and D), right? But I guess that is what lots of ruleSets are for.

If you are not going to use this utility for HoF purposes, why not simply use the map generator in the editor, and then look for a good starting position. That is much simpler than spending a lot of time trying to get an good map. Put in your map setting, and then maybe change the random seed that is used to generate the map, and then look the map over for where you want to start.

If you are not going to use this utility for HoF purposes, why not simply use the map generator in the editor, and then look for a good starting position.

Possible reasons not to:

1. You want to play for the HoF.

2. You don't want to increase the total amount of food on a map.

I mean, if you have cows and rivers, it ends up less likely that the AIs do on an unedited map. On an edited map, their probability of having those doesn't change (unless you also edit their territory).

3. You have knowledge of the map before the game starts when you do that, instead of having to discover it in the game.

When I try to run Mapfinder it opens up my save games file. Any ideas on what I need to change?

I'm running as Admin on Windows 10.

I found the problem I didn't have the path set to the autosave folder.

So its kinda working now.

The problem I'm having now is the map report opens up on me randomly and stops the mapfinder from running, is there a setting I'm missing for the report?

Top Bottom