HOF V Update Discussion

Besides that, don't forget that TractorBoy has set me a little challenge:

Not sure I can afford the distraction of a gauntlet given that I have a huge gap to close and that he is still increasing his lead!

It would seem that we two, at least, have our own Gauntlet to handle but I would gladly welcome others to (re)join it.

A word of advice Crafty1 - You might like to skip all the standard size games from settler to warlord, reason being, the workers have to be instructed to work every single turn and playing them becomes an absolute nightmare. The problem becomes less of a problem as you go up through the levels (land has been improved) and is hardly noticeable on ocean maps. This is a bug that was reported last year and starts to occur once you capture enemy Cities.

You seem to be moving up through the levels much the same as I did a year ago, if when you get to KING level you want to take me on at any particular game then let me know and we can play an unofficial Gauntlet.

You Know as well as I do that score victories are much easier to achieve at the higher levels,

I just reread this and it doesn't sound very logical.

1 - You must have attained a certain level of competence, which you definitely have from past submissions.
2 - Much easier to get RA's at higher levels.
3 - When you take a City it is more likely to have some of the buildings you need to progress.
4 - Easier to attack the next City because most of the forests and jungles have gone and the road/rail connections are there.
5 - There is always a buyer for excess luxuries and resources.

There are only two downsides.

1 - Social Policies are more expensive.
2 - Happiness has to be worked on.

I was going to move on to something new, but I might stick with it now that we are competing. How come you vanished for a couple of years?

TractorBoy asked:
How come you vanished for a couple of years?

Well, work became harder and I simply could not concentrate too well, ended up playing a whole bunch of silly MMORPGs and have finally come to the conclusion on a few things:
i) Graphically amazing
ii) No good just for solo play
iii) I am absolutely no good at MMO play
iv) people that are no good get shouted at, a lot
v) being shouted at is not fun when playing a game

Solution, return to something sane which can still be MMO but with solo based content...Oh yeah, the HoF for CiV!

The HoF is a great way for people to work together to find the best that is possible with all sorts of combinations of games, the gauntlets can seriously aid with this as the discussions can be very detailed at times, or at least they used to be. I don't follow them now as I don't have G&K etc as mentioned before.

This current HoF is definately still in it's infancy, many tables are still not showing the best that is possible and there are huge amounts of tables left to even get started.

This is why I think the new scoring system could help (when added) as it should provide a more diverse challenge. Before you say that it should not be changed I have also asked if the new system could be added and not just be a replacement (if possible).

You also mentioned about the worker bug whereby you have to keep on retasking some or all of them once you start taking cities. This has happened to me in almost all of the score games I have submitted. Very annoying but I have become used to it and expect it (and sometimes has helped me to spot some mistakes I was making). A very strange bug and I am surprised they have not fixed it... I guess Firaxis have also moved on to the new content too.

I have seen a couple of other names showing up with new entries in the HoF for Vanilla so there is still some sort of fan base for it :)

You also mentioned about the worker bug whereby you have to keep on retasking some or all of them once you start taking cities. This has happened to me in almost all of the score games I have submitted. Very annoying but I have become used to it and expect it (and sometimes has helped me to spot some mistakes I was making). A very strange bug and I am surprised they have not fixed it... I guess Firaxis have also moved on to the new content too.

If this bug does not upset you, but instead helps you, then you truly are a remarkable chap. I think you think I am playing some sort of Psychology game with you, but you couldn't be further from the truth!! The one thing in your favour thus far is the fact that you have not played a standard size game at standard or epic speed at the lower levels which is what I have been referring to. You only have to look at the bug section to see other members reaction to this bug.

EDIT - Marathon is a joke, I kid you not, what was a forty hour game has become an Eighty hour game and the advice I gave was to hopefully save you from becoming dispirited.

Edit - For the first time in a year I dropped down a few levels just to see how bad this bug really is. I have been playing at warlord standard standard, and as I suggested in the confirmed bugs section it is nowhere near as bad once you aquire the Pyramids. I probably owe you an apology, I think I have probably been slightly paranoid about the affects of this bug. On the two slower difficulties it remains a terrible nuisance.

Top Bottom