HOF V3 - "From Here to Eternity"

Bulgarian misses Caucasian Partisans
Romanian Fighter hits it for 1 HP
Ju-88 Hits Militia on 1W of Bucharest, damage caused is uncertain
24 Hungarian Division shoots Caucasian Partisans for no damage

GPS to M60

We benevolent Italians do not kill civilians, unlike our enemies, who bomb the countryside to the point of massive famines erupting in most major Italian cities.

But did I neglect to mention that the Caucasian Partisans were found in Hungary, which is a rather long way from Caucasia, if you ask me.

US bombers and fighter bombers attack rail and road infrastructure around Paris, Antwerp and Koln. 3 US aircraft are loss, with one German destroyed. In the Pacific, US marines land on Wake Island unopposed.

gps

Okl...Eric..did you ever look at my last email to you about suggested changes to Nature effects and HOF as a whole? Just asking.

Malaria or any other Nature unit should not have the total power to eliminate undefensible entities like colonies. I really have a beef with the way Nature units act and behave in the game to date. But what does it matter. There are so few interested in a Civ 3 game like this anymore that what does it matter?

Eric, You made two great mods for Civ 3 in Typhoon of Steel and Hinge of Fate. They have been great playable mods. Remember my first foray into battle against you in TOS? I played the IJN against you and...oh what was his name? It was quite the battle! Until I found out afterwards that my password of Nagumo was compromised! I was mad at first but then appreciated the effort in "Cracking" the code!

You outdid yourself with these mods! I've enjoyed them...a LOT for the last several years and the acquaintances they have introduced me to ! And it shouldn't go unnoticed or unappreciated...all the time and effort you put into these scenarios. I see great brillance in what you have put into these scenarios!

And to the credit of all involved in this current game..despite some lapses..it has continued on through 1943! That is impressive. Kudos to all for sticking with it!

I just wonder if this is the last game for HOF? I hope not but there is a dwindling pool of players. But may be there will be future games to do battle!

Sully

Okl...Eric..did you ever look at my last email to you about suggested changes to Nature effects and HOF as a whole? Just asking.

Malaria or any other Nature unit should not have the total power to eliminate undefensible entities like colonies. I really have a beef with the way Nature units act and behave in the game to date. But what does it matter. There are so few interested in a Civ 3 game like this anymore that what does it matter?

Eric, You made two great mods for Civ 3 in Typhoon of Steel and Hinge of Fate. They have been great playable mods. Remember my first foray into battle against you in TOS? I played the IJN against you and...oh what was his name? It was quite the battle! Until I found out afterwards that my password of Nagumo was compromised! I was mad at first but then appreciated the effort in "Cracking" the code!

You outdid yourself with these mods! I've enjoyed them...a LOT for the last several years and the acquaintances they have introduced me to ! And it shouldn't go unnoticed or unappreciated...all the time and effort you put into these scenarios. I see great brillance in what you have put into these scenarios!

And to the credit of all involved in this current game..despite some lapses..it has continued on through 1943! That is impressive. Kudos to all for sticking with it!

I just wonder if this is the last game for HOF? I hope not but there is a dwindling pool of players. But may be there will be future games to do battle!

Sully

Sully:
I don't understand why you would object to nature wiping out colonies,
especially like the one on Borneo which was isolated by the Japanese and
totally cut off from any medical supplies. Does everyone else think this is
unreasonable?
Disease has always been a part of of war, before the 20th century killing
more people than the actual fighting. My uncle nearly died of dengue fever serving in
the Pacific.
You are certainly welcome to run your own games, using whatever house rules you
like. However if you let the AI play nature, there is no way to stop it from attacking
colonies and cities.

It's not like that colony was doing anything, anyway ... muzbang could have crushed it instead of simply cutting it off 20+ game turns ago, but he never bothered.

I like the way Nature is handling this war. :goodjob: (The Axis can use any help they can get...) Just a little request, if it's not asking for too much: could you increase the global temperature just a wee bit? We'd like to grow vine in Norway...

I like the way Nature is handling this war. :goodjob: (The Axis can use any help they can get...) Just a little request, if it's not asking for too much: could you increase the global temperature just a wee bit? We'd like to grow vine in Norway...

I totally agree with this :lol:, Russia also needs a little more grasslands and countyside in the north :goodjob:

Back on game: Sully makes good points Eric in the way nature units work probably, a good variation, would be to give them bombard ability and lethal land and sea bombardment with some high value, that would allow nature to play with it´s units in a more flexible way, hit and run for example, but it´s your scenario of course, also, did you consider that sugestion i made for an open sealane in artic waters over siberia to represent the "northern path"?

Ok...Let me elaborate but first....where are we with the turn?

Anyhow, my concern is mainly about a human playing and CONTROLLING weather in a direct and HUMAN manner. That is exactly what nature ISN'T. It is making Nature act in an UNNATURE and UNNATURAL manner. That is...Nature units can TARGET units, locations, etc.

Plus as configured some Nature units last for an innatural length of time. Like for an example Gales, Typhoons, and Hurricanes. How many of these entities actually last a month? Now some storms do persist as they come off Africa for example, make their way to the US East Coast then swerve into the North Atlantic then North Sea over the UK and then make themselves felt over the land mass of Europe. One can argue that these type of units could last a month or more in their lifespan. But when under human control...these units act like very strong and deadly guided missles such that they react and move in ways they don't do in reality. And it seems to me the movement factors for the sea based entities is way too high and are very hard to destroy. Which I contend is an unnatural side effect that human players have to contend with.

Then there is the Russian control of Blizzards. Totally unrealistic. Blizzards affected both Germans and Russians in a random manner and not "aimed/guided". Same applies to sandstorms.

So that is my concern with the why Nature is configured. In a game where so much work has been put into having realistic units and gameplay (within the limitations and sometimes quirky Civ engine), Nature IMHO does the opposite.

With that said, I think Eric's vision for having a Nature element in the scenario is sheer genius! I love the concept, not just how they behave. Now I have had this opinion since the begining on Nature and I might add...seem to be the only one that raises these concerns. So maybe it is just me? Anyhow...that's how I see it.

Sully

Well, I imagine it would be rather boring for the nature player to have to behave like nature. And if it's an AI, then I can just see:

The rampaging Nature forces have destroyed the Minor Axis!

Barbarians might work, but they wouldn't be able to have enough different types of units.

OK Muz...The turn has been to you for a week? Are you giving up or what? It looks like you've logged on today (21st)? Lets move this thing along Gents!

Japan report

Near Sian

F.A hit para 3/4
F.A hit para 3/4
F.A hit para 3/4
F.A hit para 3/4
F.A hit para 2/4

Near Peking
Betty hits T34 tank corp 2/4
VDB hits T34 tank corp 2/4
Light tank 3/3 killed T34 tank corp 2/4

Betty hits riffle 3/4
Betty hits riffle 3/4
Torpedo hits riffle 4/5
Torpedo hits riffle 2/5
VDB hits T34tank army 1/6
VDB hits riffle army 1/5

light tank 3/4 kills light tank 3/3

Near Mukden

VDB hits Mech Inf. 5/6
VDB hits Mech Inf. 4/6
VDB hits Mech Inf. 3/6
VDB hits Mech Inf. 2/6

Betty hits Mech Inf. 3/4
Betty hits Mech Inf. 3/4

GPS

Inf corp on its way to Bordeaux accidentally shoots a partisan near Köln. Darn, they were so eager to get to the sunny south, why did he have to get in the way?

Warschau:
Rundtstedt (20/20) vs T34 Front (15/19): Rundtstedt (9/20)
Rundtstedt (9/20) vs Army Spearhead V (12/18): Rundtstedt (7/20)
Panzer Corp (6/7) vs Mech Inf div (4/4): Panzer Corp (1/7) Warschau liberated!

GPS to Rick

GPS Soviets May 1943

Missed bomb by Sturmovik
Lost 2 bombers to enemy Me109

10 FA´s destroy walls and redline defenders in Warsaw
10 Med Bombers redline Rundtstedt, lost 2 dive bombers to enemy planes
Shot down an interceptor over Paris

Army Speardhead II mop up and captures Warsaw

Budapest

6 FA´s damage army defending
Army Spearhead VI kills Minor Axis Marine Army
Army Spearhead IV (19/19) vs v(MAxis)Inf.Corp (5/5) -> Army Spearhead IV (17/19)
Army Spearhead I (18/18) vs v(MAxis)Inf.Div (4/4) -> Army Spearhead I (15/18)
eRifle Army(6/6) vs rLight Tank(3/3) -> eRifle Army(4/6)
Budapest captured+69gp

Mukdhen
Lost 2 Med Bomber to enemy Zeros
Army Spearhead V (18/18) vs Army (13/13) -> Army Spearhead V (3/18)
Killed 3 japanese units guarding the rails to Peking.
Pillaged some tiles

GPS Sully, CW

BB Richelieu bombards Infantry on the victory tile near Naples.
Sherman Tank Div captures a Japanese Worker 1N of Hanoi
Sherman Tank Div captures two undefended Japanese Workers next to Canton.
B-17 reports road destroyed near Suchow

Sian:
MB does 2hp to top defender
MB does 2hp to 41st Inf Div
B-17 bombs a Mongolian cav (not sure if it was 1st or 2nd, sorry) to 2hp
Bombing run fails
B-17 destroys Barracks
MB does 3hp to vet Japanese Infantry
B-17 bombs 2nd Mongolian down to 1hp
MB bombs 1st Mongolian to 1hp

Para Div dies vs. 3/5 Japanese Infantry
Para Div kills 3/5 Japanese Infantry
Para Div dies vs. 3/5 41st Jap Infantry
Para Div dies vs. 41st => 2/5

More Paras land, but this is starting to look like the Market Garden of the East. :rolleyes:

Allied Fighter destroys roads on the Forest Silks near Canton

I'm on holiday however I will be back Tuesday (tomorrow) and will play the save and forward it on by Tuesday eve at the lastest if not sooner. Thanks!
Sully

Top Bottom