1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Holding a city up against the border.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by catfish99, Jan 27, 2010.

1. catfish99

catfish99 Warlord

I'm looking at a DOW coming from Julius C in less than ten turns, having refused his arrogant demand. His target is likely a city I captured from him in our last tussle, which touches three of his tiles.
    I'm considering cranking out some extra Knights while I have time, to use as sacrificial pillagers on the first turn. All three of the connecting tiles have roads, and I am afraid of a cannon-led SOD appearing and assaulting me before I have a chance to kill some of his siege ability.
    In general, is this a wise use of resources (trading the hammers for the ability to strike first against the SOD and kill a lot of his barrage), or would I be better building wealth to upgrade my maces to rifles and try and live through the initial attack? I'll have rifles in three turns, and he's holding cannons and cuirassiers.

2. Nilmerf

Nilmerf Warlord

Screenshots/saved game?

3. Dr.Null

Dr.Null forIhavetastedthesushi

IMHO rifles are your best hope vs. upgraded cuirassiers.

4. Meanness

Meanness Chieftain

I wouldn't bother trying to hold the city, let him take it and then slaughter his defending cannons/horses with your rifles. AI SoDs are most vulnerable after they take a city, since they aren't defensive in nature. Once his SoD is wiped out, you'll walk all over him.

5. catfish99

catfish99 Warlord

Thanks guys. I'll post a screenshot this evening/tomorrow. I decided to go with the roadcutting strategy. He hurled his horses onto the tiles which touched the city, as expected. I decided to concentrate on the one tile which did not have a river, killed his horse units, then hit the tile with knights and one old Immortal I still had hanging around. His response was to plop the SOD onto one of the cross-river tiles and attack. I survived and am now engaged in a Shock and Awe campaign where I am returning a goodly part of his nation to nature.

6. catfish99

catfish99 Warlord

Adding the promised image:

Note the city in question at the lower right. My SOD and pillager stack are in the upper left, preparing to move on the city at the lower left.

7. mariogreymist

mariogreymist Deity

One suggestion: next time you're afraid of cannons, put RR ahead of corporation in your tech priorities: MGs would solve this problem for you. (this assumes you already have steel and steam, which may not be the case)

I like the idea of defending with a handful of rifles, and having your own SoD on hand SE of the city to retake it after your defenders bleed his attack.

Alternately, if you can overcome the culture on the tile to the N of the city, you can force an amphibious attack, meaning the defense of the city will be much easier.

Also, when fearing things like this: I make spies and focus espionage to keep as much of my enemies' lands exposed as possible. It's always easiest and most efficient to win a battle when you know exactly what's coming and when it will arrive.