Holidays

Hydromancerx

C2C Modder
I just wish I knew how to do it, because I had an idea for a set of 'high days and holidays' mini-wonders, cheapish to build and giving a small culture bonus, representing cultural festivals that could be built in a city that had a particular culture - Lupercalia for Roman culture, Anthesteria or Dionysia for Greek, Día de los Muertos for Mexican, Independence Day for (modern) American, Bastille Day for French, Running of the Bulls for Spanish, and so on and so forth...

I do like the ideas of "holidays" (not to be confused with vacations). It would be easy to do where you make a building that say required a regional or local culture and even a religion or resource to enable it. For example your running of the bulls could require cow resource and Spanish culture.

Write up a list of holidays and what effects you think they should have and I will see about making them.

Post your holiday ideas in this thread.

Being the good old Jew that I am, I strongly suggest Hanukkah, or Chanukah, or Chanuka. I suppose you could make a lot of religious holidays pretty straightforward just requiring the religion to be in the city... seems a bit simple though.

Down here in Australia we have a some public holidays for horse races.

Perhaps there could be something like that to make horses useful later on....though thinking about it I am not sure if this would fit better in to the holiday idea or as a tech.

I think it would probably add a little culture and money as well.

I'm thrilled to see this thread - I would have loved to come along having modded it myself and presented a finished product, but you might have been waiting a long time as I'd have to find some modding tutorials and probably learn from a load of mistakes first!

I was thinking purely along the lines of small wonders representing particular cultural festivals or traditions that could be built in cities if they had a particular culture building (ie they have a prerequisite of a culture building such as Culture (French) or Culture (Greek)) and preferably be secular or at least not overtly be completely religious (with the exception of Holy Roman, Israeli, and possibly Byzantine) - to be fairly cheap to build and provide a small culture bonus.

My initial thoughts were as follows, I hadn't thought yet about what the tech prerequisites might be:

Aborigine - Dreamtime
American - Independence Day (4th July)
Apache - Sunrise Dance
Arabian -
Assyrian - Kha b-Nisan (which is a secular celebration of the vernal equinox)
Australian - either Australia Day or Anzac Day, the Australian folks here can judge better than I can what would be most appropriate or might have a better suggestion.
Aztec - the Aztecs had a lot of festivals, but I would suggest Panquetzaliztli which was a festival in honour of Huitzilopotchtli, and involved sacrifice of captives and slaves. If you want something a bit less bloodthirsty, then go for Tlaxochimaco which is the "small feast for the dead" and probably a cultural forerunner (amongst other influences) to the Mexican Dia de los Muertos that is celebrated today.
Babylonian - Akitu (a crop sowing festival)
Byzantine -
Carthaginian -
Celtic - Beltane
Cherokee - Bouncing Bush
Chinese - Lantern Festival or Dragon Boat Festival
Dutch - Sinterklaas
Egyptian - Wep-renpet (New Year)
English - May Day (think maypoles and morris dancers, a very old traditional English festival)
Ethiopian - Enkutatash (New Year)
French - Bastille Day
German - Oktoberfest (requires a brewery in the city)
Greek - Dionysia
Hittite - Festival of the Gatehouse (little is known about this but the cuneiform reads "KI.LAM")
Holy Roman - Easter (also requires Christianity as state religion)
Incan - Inti Raymi (festival of the sun)
Iroquois - Greatly Prized Ceremony (midwinter festival)
Japanese - Shogatsu (New Year)
Khmer - Bon Om Thook (Water festival, celebrating the end of the rainy season and the might of the Khmer Empire, has ancient roots and used to involve tests of combat and boat races)
Korean - Dano (also called Surit-nal)
Malinese - There are several distinct Malinese cultural traditions, I suggest the Sigui (which is a Dogon ceremony celebrating the dead between the first ancestor until the time humanity acquired the use of the spoken word - but tbh there is a lot to choose from here!)
Mayan -
Mexican - Dia de los Muertos
Mongolian - Tsagaan Sar (Lunar New Year)
Olmec - unfortunately there is little to go on, but I would go with a Rain spirit theme
Ottoman - Rather than one particular event, I would have this as the Surname-I Hümayun (Imperial Festival Book) - a book recording all the festivals and celebrations such as Imperial weddings, processions, and other events.
Persian - Shab-e Yaldâ - ancient winter solstice celebration
Polynesian - ‘aha‘aina (forerunner to the more recent terminology - Lu'au)
Portuguese - Carnaval (a "Rio" style Carnival)
Roman - Lupercalia or Saturnalia, I'm leaning more towards the Saturnalia (midwinter festival) tbh.
Russian - depends if we want something modern or something traditional -for modern I'd go with Revolution Day, and as much as I like that it may not fit into everyone's game especially if you had Russian culture from an early point in the game, so a more traditional folk holiday such as Troitsa may fit the bill better.
Siamese - Songkran (New Year)
Sioux - Sun Dance Ceremony
Spanish - Sanfermines (The traditional festival which includes the Running of the Bulls as well as many musical and pyrotechnic diversions)
Sumerian - Here we start running into issues as there's a large Babylonian/Sumerian crossover - Akitu is also relevant for Sumerian
Viking - Sigrblot (spring/early summer festival)
Zulu - Umkhosi Womhlanga (Reed Ceremony)

I've taken this list of cultures from v14 so there are a few added in v15 (such as Israeli that was mentioned in a previous post, Brazilian, Maori etc.) that I've not yet given any thought to - although to me Brazil's Rio Carnaval is an obvious choice without having to think too hard! And Channukah for Israeli + Judaism makes sense of course! And you'll note that there are a few blanks where nothing came to mind and a few minutes on google did not provide any immediate inspiration.

Could you also provide the techs you think they should be available at? That would be very helpful.

I can, but it won't be immediate - because I don't know when the culture buildings become available and obsolete (for those that become obsolete) off the top of my head so I'll have to look it all up and pick a suitable tech for each - but I can have a look at that and put some thought into it later today or tomorrow :) I'll also have a think about possible resource in city vicinity or goods requirements that might be needed, without making them too inaccessible!

Could you also provide the techs you think they should be available at? That would be very helpful.

Candle Making? Seems like a significant part of the holiday.

@Orangepitcher03

Should Hanukkah require Culture (Israeli) too or open to any civ that has Judaism religion in their city?

I'd leave it open, otherwise it'd probably be more trouble than it's worth.

I think Oil Lamps would be better since isn't Hanukkah about making the oil last, not candles? I am not Jewish but that's what I understand happened. I could be wrong.

Technically yes, I was just thinking differently. The modern holiday uses candles but the holiday story stems from magical oil. I suppose since oil spawned the holiday, it makes sense.

I haven't forgotten about this - unfortunately I am currently having to share my PC with my husband since his clapped out old machine broke beyond my capability to fix (motherboard dead) and he's off work for a few days and wanting to use my PC - but I am on the case, I might just not get that much internet/CIV time until early next week!

Edit: By the way, congrats on getting a subforum, it's well overdue and much needed :)

hmm... interesting.

I would think that holidays might be best handled with a combination of 'festival' buildings accessed by civilization cultures in addition to activation/qualification via Civic settings. National or world wonders to establish them (but very cheap to build - like next to nothing...). Also some should be establishable by GPs... artists don't have enough use in the game at the moment imo anyhow.

Anzac Day is specifically dependent upon certain historical events, while Australia Day is more generic. Bastille Day runs into the same problems that Revolution Day does for Russia. Some would counter that Independence Day also does, but the very idea of an independent American culture, much like an independent Mexican one, is fundamentally reliant upon a seperation from England, whereas France was still culturally French after the Revolution and the Republics.

Events are random, holidays are not.

Personally, as an alternative to what I mentioned before, I feel the best way to go about this is not to identify miscellaneous unique holidays from around the world, but rather gerneralize the issue. A civic to indicate how many holidays are being recognized throughout the year would be enough I think. That may not be as exciting, but in reality, no matter the cause for a holiday, its still just fundamentally a day off work. It gives happiness and lowers overall national productivity and commerce income. Can greatly counteract wartime unhappiness as it tends to offer national pride.

To give some flavor to the particular holidays, some random events that are triggered by various settings on that civic would suffice I think.

Events are random, holidays are not.

Unless a holiday was never invented. Remember alternative timelines. :D Imagine a timeline where Christmas was never invented or stayed as a Pagan holiday?

Also it would be interesting if Holidays somehow required or used up culture in order to build them. Since we have so much excess culture. This may be a usefully way to burn through some culture.

Top Bottom