1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Holy Crap! Spain!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by MantaRevan, Oct 20, 2011.

1. MantaRevan

MantaRevan Emperor

Okay, so I just purchased the Inca-Spanish DLC, so I started a game as the spaniards. I was able to conquer everybody(standard map/earth/prince) by the industrial age. I soon realized how insanely good the conquistadors are, and the Tercios are far better than riflemen. Does anyone else think that Spain might use sone tweaking?

2. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

Spain is good, but Tercios are not better than riflemen, also I think there was a thread about this just last week.

3. MantaRevan

MantaRevan Emperor

Really? Do you mind directing be to it?

4. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

5. Haig

Haig Deity

When it comes to Spain people usually talk about how they love or hate Spain's Unique Ability, actually this was the first threat purely about their units. :)

6. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

The Conquistador is OP, compared to the other knight replacements. (Stampy still wins, but the Conquistador has more 'benefits')

It completely dominates the Songhai Mandu Cav. ('bug' in that UU's don't have vs. city penalty + embarked defense) and then goes on for more.

The Tercio has the unfortunate issue of being a gunpowder unit, meaning it has to be built from scratch. If Pikes (or warriors when you have no iron) upgraded to gunpowder units, rather than rifles, they would be a solid unit.

7. apocalypse105

apocalypse105 Deity

The Unique ability isn't that overpowered there real power is there units So just a average civ

8. vonbach

vonbach Prince

I played Spain once or twice the only bright spot about the civ was the Unique Units.
    Both are good, solid units. The Unique Ability is very hit or miss however.

9. woodshadows

woodshadows King

unique ability hit and miss. conquistadors amazing, smash cities with ease and avoid pikes thanks to increases LOS. later build a city on an island or continent if you want.

tercios are really where it's at tho. these are great tough units that the ai struggles to counter and which you can spam out.

10. qalsip1977

qalsip1977 Wonder Lust

I personally enjoy Spain a great deal. They're probably in my top 5 civs that are fun to play. I should probably mention that I don't play certain civs because of their mathematical advantages (e.g. the top civs people play to win). I like playing Spain because their UA is so unpredictable and I feel like a little kid at Christmas when I'm the first to find skilldorado. It's fun! Plus Conquistadors are just rediculous!

I generally enjoy playing Archipelego maps with Spain and pretend I'm back in the colonization period settling places like Tortuga and Santiago and get a big fleet of ships together like the Spanish Armada. Or I just go for a pangaea game and try to see how many natural wonders I can find!

And since Isabel is all about her purity (what a joke, I HATE Isabel if I'm not playing as her) I generally go for a nice Liberty/Piety/Commerce strat that is high happiness and high gold. It really makes for an enjoyable game :)

11. KillingMeSoftly

KillingMeSoftly Warlord

Yeah! Spain is my favorite civilization. Isabella's unique ability is amazing and a lot of fun; its like a quest to find and settle/conquer all of the Natural Wonders, and encourages me to play a lot differently. It also provides a nice challenge, especially if all the good Natural Wonders are in enemy hands. I love "roleplaying" Spain and going Tradition (or Liberty)/Piety/Commerce.

The Conquistador, as already mentioned, is a very powerful unit and fits perfectly with Spain's play style. Tercio is strong as well but would be better if Pikemen upgraded to Musketmen-- which would make sense with the Tercio specifically as they still use pikes. Regardless, Tercio are great for defending the homelands while your armada and conquistadors are off settling/conquering new lands.

12. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

I'm going to say one word to you, just one word: Keshiks.

I'd only want to play Spain on a difficulty level at which I was already comfortable. If you don't get any natural wonders nearby then they're a mediocre Civ.

I've never played them but I can imagine they'd be quite fun to play with a lot of nearby natural wonders.

13. RebelCapitalist

RebelCapitalist Chieftain

About to try my first game as Spain (need the achievement anyway). I'll try Lib/Piety/Comm too.

I'll be sure to smash some cities with my golden cross while I'm at it. :)

14. MantaRevan

MantaRevan Emperor

It's too bad that since i play on mac i don't get any of those achievements that come with steam. But if i really want to, i'll just go to the hall of fame.

15. RebelCapitalist

It's good and bad. I like having the achievements, but unfortunately mods disable them. So, I have to choose. :(

Thankfully, I got about 70ish and don't really see many more I'll try for, so it's back to mods. :)

Just finished my Spain game. Ended up going for and getting a culture victory. If Alexander was on my continent to start the game, I would of went for complete domination. :)

16. MantaRevan

MantaRevan Emperor

I just finished *my* Spain game. It was my all-time best, a domination ranking 2301. I almost never do that well(thus why I started the thread).

17. RebelCapitalist

Grats. Incas next? :)

18. Haig

Haig Deity

With Incas it's simply a MUST to build Macchu Picchu on a top of some cool mountain, if another Civ manages to do it before you, you have failed the Incan dream. ;)

19. MantaRevan

MantaRevan Emperor

How did you know?

20. flairin

flairin Prince

two natural wonders for 2000 gold super early and 5 cities by turn 20!!