1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

holy hell that Ukraine stuff

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Perfection, Sep 24, 2019.

?

hot takes

Poll closed Oct 1, 2019.
  1. trump gonna get impeached

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  2. trump gonna get removed from office

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. trump gonna get reelected

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  4. trump gonna lose election

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  5. joe biden gonna win primary

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
  6. joe biden gonna lose primary

10 vote(s)
    27.0%
  7. holy hell

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  8. holy smokes

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  9. holy christ on a cracker

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
  10. meh

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
  11. huh?

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  12. im pissed perfs had the polls close in a week so i couldn't be cagey and vote after the dust settled

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  13. good thinking perfs on the polls timeout

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
  14. this is all mere prelude to giant death robots taking over

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  15. it's rigged i tell you rigged

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
  16. why aren't you talking more about biden perfs it's really about biden

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  17. trump is criminal scum

19 vote(s)
    51.4%
  18. joe biden is criminal scum

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
  19. hunter biden is criminal scum

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  20. mashed potatoes and gravy

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  21. mashed potatoes alone

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
  22. gravy alone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  23. neither mashed potatoes nor gravy

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  24. [insert poll option here]

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

How do you confiscate a private Twitter account? Presumably he didn't set it up with a government email address.

El_Machinae likes this.
  2. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

No idea but I would not be surprised if the WH demands account privileges as condition for taking the job. Also, could have had a lawyer issue some sort of legal threat or machination or whatever.

El_Machinae likes this.
  3. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

Executive privilege.

4. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

I'd be kinda surprised, given that directly contravenes most terms of service, and the US government position is generally to be pretty friendly to companies' terms of service.

Also grossly invasive, I see giving over any account privileges to be roughly equivalent, whether it be twitter, my bank, my healthcare records, or my in-home security cameras.

It's not even logistically practical, anyone with non muppet-level opsec uses a password manager - do you give them access to your password manager? Do you fill out and submit a form every time you change a password? Do you use a gov-provided password manager and then lose access to *all* your accounts when you change jobs?

Probably not a good assumption to make.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  5. Tristan_C

Tristan_C Emperor

Weissman is a Democrat, and Brennan's a Democrat. Mueller and Comey are Republicans who have been working on the Democrats' projects these several years; if you want to say that the Russia project was for truth and justice and not for Democrats and their media seeking to relitigate 2016, that would be a stretch.

Aside from these, Democrat Senators conveyed their desire for the Ukrainians' information on Manafort in a letter, which I have mentioned several times in this thread. So in the most direct answer to your post, I'm pretty certain they did solicit information, if the Senate's website is to be trusted. And if you want to maintain that they did not solicit information but were simply offered it, that is the very accusation they leveled with regards to the Trump Tower meeting. As I said, we are now in Year 4 of Trump being accused of doing what the Democrats do. Evidence remains scarce, but the media compensates with repetition.

As to the distinction between Democrats and "public servants." Government employees lean Democratic. Possibly this has caused the catchwords like "the swamp" and "deep state" to become so partisan in recent years; in the Bush era anti-Washington sentiment was handily bipartisan. Men like Mueller and Comey are g-men first, the sort of people who would have been mistrusted, or even hated, not too long ago. There are similar people bubbling to the surface. Vindman, the witness who testified earlier, ostensibly answers to the President but in practice he works for someone or something else; it somehow leaked out from the closed-door hearings that he even said his "highest loyalty" was the interagency group.

6. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

First your point is stupid and you should feel stupid for pointing it out. Most DC employees live outside of DC. Second, if he wanted Biden investigated that is ok it is how he did it that makes it extortion, its also the fact that he did it. Senators asking for information about general corruption (Manafort) is different then directly trying to smear your direct political opponent. Since your dies sees it as you against everyone I can see how you would get confused. Your victim complexes are too much for me to unwind. Finally the fact that they took the meeting in Trump Tower and he continues to act like this even when he has the FEC chair telling him that soliciting outside help is against the law and you are still loyal to him tells me everything about your loyalty to blatant stupidity.

oh yea and government employees do not take an oath of loyalty to the president they take one to the constitution. I know you guys have conveniently forgotten about that document. Fear not though in about 18 months you will remember it again.

Socrates99 and Lexicus like this.
  7. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Wait, the constitution says more than "I gets to carries muh gun"?

Socrates99 likes this.
  8. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Thank you. There was a reason why I asked, and it was to get this answer

9. Oerdin

Oerdin Deity

Apparently, they require everyone to tell them the passwords of all social media as a condition of employment then changed the password without telling him. On his own private twitter account. All to prevent him from telling what he knows.

As for why he is being cagey about testifying... He wants legal cover so he can’t be called a rat. He wants them to subpoena him so he can claim he had no legal option but to testify.

Socrates99 likes this.
  10. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

I hope they also changed his WoW password.

hobbsyoyo and Estebonrober like this.
  11. Arakhor

Well, if that's a part of the contract, I'm pretty sure it would also be breach of contract for either party to change it. Besides, how did he not have the power to change his password? Did he not have access to the email account? Not set up MFA? Good lord.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  12. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

That just sounds impossible. Sites will force passwords reset fairly regularly due to security breaches, a huge number of people don't bother remembering or storing their passwords and just reset them via email every time they get a new computer, and for many sites, sharing your password is a breach of contract in the first place.

e.g. the Facebook Terms of Service: https://www.facebook.com/terms.php

13. El_Machinae

Well, it's no surprise that something as elevated as that position would have more restrictions in place on their personelle. Shouldn't it be utterly casual to take away someone's Twitter account? I don't have one, but can't you just change the email address that it's tied to?

14. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Bolton said he had to get Twitter involved to get control back and that they were very helpful in that process. It also seemed like he tried to work it out directly with the WH/their lawyers for a while before turning to Twitter, but it's hard to divine these things from Bolton's tweets and he hasn't done any interviews that I'm aware of.

El_Machinae likes this.
  15. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Yes, and it's just as easy to just change the email address that the security cameras in my home are tied to.

I expect Bolton doesn't really understand twitter, the web, passwords, phones, or much about technology in general, so I really wouldn't really read into anything he says.

This is general level of technical acumen of the administration: Giuliani can’t figure out how URLs work, blames Twitter for liberal bias

El_Machinae likes this.
  16. Arakhor

If it was so easy, there should be any number of officials who could have wrestled Trump's account away from him.

17. El_Machinae

Not legally. Bolton would have had his secured as a condition of employment.

I'm boggled that people are boggled that the WH would exercise some control over personal communication devices and apps

Socrates99 likes this.
  18. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Well I used the term "kinda surprised", not "boggled".

But the IRL equivalent is something like asking your employees to afix a GPS tracker to their personal car. It's grossly invasive, impractical to manage logistically to any useful ends, and doesn't do anything about all the transportation methods someone takes other than their personal car.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  19. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

I think you just sacrifice some of those personal boundaries when you enter "public service". When you're a guy like Bolton you probably shrug it off as a price you pay for power.

20. El_Machinae

Well, he also (I think) had a secret service detail. It's not invasive, given the position.
    Yeah, it doesn't prevent him from using Twitter, obviously. Just prevents him from using his publicly recognized Twitter.