1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Holy Mountainless (tried every mountain!)

Discussion in 'Bugs and Crashes' started by Lochlann, May 29, 2019.

1. Lochlann

Lochlann Chieftain

Apologies for posting about a base-game issue, and one of trivial importance at that, but I'm at my wits' end, and it seems at least possible that C2C might be influencing things. Many thanks for reading through.

I know that the BTS "Holy Mountain" quest has caused a lot of grief, but as far as I can find, no one has reported this particular issue. Basically: I've tried settling near every single mountain on the map, and nothing has triggered the quest completion. (And because I'm playing on a Gigantic map, on Eternity speed, this has been quite an ordeal.) A breakdown:
    1. I received the quest, long ages ago as it seems, ha.
    2. The next turn, I triggered the location of the mountain, having already built the necessary number of religious buildings...
    3. ...but because the mountain was on another continent, one that was not only unexplored by me but was beyond the range of the map's boundaries, the game never actually showed me the mountain. The mini-map screen shifted to the far southeast corner (relative to my continent), and the map screen was a sea of darkness, but no mountain was exposed, even for a moment. I shrugged it off at the time, having no knowledge of the quest and not expecting anything more. (C2C, which is brilliant by the way, is my first return to Civ IV in many many years; I don't know that I had ever played BTS originally, and I was unfamiliar with the quests in general.)
    4. Because my civ is in absolute command of the game--it's kind of a Monty Haul situation; I'm not playing for competition but just to be able to create as idyllic a world as I can--I figured I'd just send out a bunch of settlers and start experimenting with mountains, making liberal use of save scumming for this particular purpose. (I know, I know. Try to forgive me.) I settle near each mountain (getting it within my cultural radius), wait a turn to see if it's the right one, and then reload. Repeat ad nauseum.
    5. Having exhausted all the mountains to the southeast, I figured I'd try it with all the other mountains on the map, reasoning that maybe the southeast positioning was misleading given that it was based on not having opened up the rest of the world yet.
    6. ...and, many hundreds of turns later, nothing. I'm currently in the beginning of the Renaissance era, and I've explored the entire map (thanks to the Carracks I was able to build with the Portuguese culture), and...nothing. I've even tried the southeast mountains multiple times. It's true that there are a few scattered singleton ocean tiles that remain to be uncovered, which will be explored in short order, but, I mean...yeah. Doubtful. (And not to the southeast.)
    7. The quest has been active in my log all this time. I've experienced no other bugs with quests lingering after completion or failure.
    I've gone about this systematically, keeping a log of every mountain and being sure to check mountains currently within barbarian or minor-civ territory as well. I've hit everything, including some of the mountainesque natural wonders that are technically listed as hills (just in case), and...nothing.

Now, I know, the quest reward isn't worth a hundredth of this effort. I'm doing this more out of a completionist drive, not because I actually care about the +1 happy face per city. It just irks me to fail something in this otherwise beautiful game I've got going. So, yes, I realize that I could just shrug and bail on it, but I wanted to at least check and see if there could be any possible C2C conflicts that could have produced this (non-)result. I have no other mods installed, and other than the occasional--okay, frequent--CTD or freeze due to the sheer enormity of the game, I've experienced no other problems. No other web searches have turned up this particular complaint.

Any ideas? Could it be something really stupid, like needing to wait more than one turn after settling near the city for the quest to complete? Regardless, thanks for indulging me. I know I'm making rather a (holy) mountain out of a molehill.

2. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

3. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

I'll look into the quest code later today.

4. Lochlann

Lochlann Chieftain

Thanks very much!

5. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

Could you upload the save for me to debug with. Would help to have a save where the quest is active.

6. Lochlann

Lochlann Chieftain

Sure thing. Here's a recent one.

I modified some of the .xml files (leader, civ, etc.) when customizing the game, in the 'Monty Haul' vein I mentioned earlier; do you need those as well? (Sorry, not sure how the debugging works, if you'll actually be booting up and running the save or not.)

Thanks again. Apologies in advance if it turns out to be something really stupid on my part.

Attached Files:

7. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

Heh, this is the plot coordinates for your holy mountain:

x = -2147483647, y = -2147483647

So it's fair to say that this quest cannot be fixed in your save. The mountain in question is not on your map at all.

I will still have to figure out how it got that way though, so that this won't happen in new games.

8. Lochlann

Lochlann Chieftain

Aha. Hmm. Well, at least I'm not crazy. Perhaps the G/god(s) in my world just really don't want to be found...?

Thanks for checking into it.

9. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

I think I found the issue, this was set in the trigger xml for that event <iPlotType>-1</iPlotType>, where -1 = NO_PLOT, which means that there is no plot related to this quest when the quest is triggered as there was no other plot requirements.
    It should have been <iPlotType>0</iPlotType> which means that the plot for this event must be a mountain plot, and a plot cannot be a mountain plot unless it exist on the map.

A fix for that will be committed soon.

10. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

It was myth after all. ;)

Good job Toffer!

11. Lochlann

Lochlann Chieftain

Indeed. Pythia has some serious explaining to do up at Delphi...