1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Holy Roman people?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Pangur Bán, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Pangur Bán

Pangur Bán Good Guy / Deviant (depending on context)

Not another thread . .. .. .. .. .ing about HRE I hear you say. Well, it's not. True, HRE really does suck, because 1) the name, ub and uu don't go with the leader, a leader who lived centuries before the HRE existed and 2) a second version of the German civ steals space from under-represented areas. Germany being smaller than Texas really isn't anywhere near as important as China and India ... really they should be getting 2nd civs rather than the Germans.

However, that's not what the thread is about. What I want to know is what are the people going to be called? The "Holy Roman people"? :lol: Well, the way I see it, there's no choice. The people of the HRE were always referred to as "Germans", but the "German people" are already in the game. (Yes I know some people are taught in school that the German people didn't exist until they were invented by Napoleon or Bismarck or something, but check any medieval source and you'll find this to be no more than runny diarrhea - rex theutonicorum anyone?).

So will we have a "Holy Roman people" being mentioned in AI dialog?

2. Dnomal

Dnomal Chieftain

*shrugs*, i thought the same thing before the Ottoman Empire came out,
    "what is Firaixs gunna do? Call the ethnicity Ottoman? Even though it was just a ruling dynasty? Pa!"

But they did, they'll probably end up as "Holy Romans", which is ridiculous, but they have to be something, (well personally i'd prefer it to be a loyalty bar rather than cultural ethnicity, e.g 79% cultural loyalty, then ethnicity would be removed altogether.)

3. SkippyT

SkippyT Who?

"Greetings, I am Charlemagne of the Holy Roman people" :D

4. Grohan

Grohan Bug-hunter

Maybe they are called Franks because of Charlemagne.

5. Jerrymander

Jerrymander Epistemologist

I don't think Caeser every actually MADE a salad.

6. NYHunter

NYHunter Chieftain

"Holy Roman people" actually sounds pretty cool. :cool:

Bow down to the almightly Holy Roman people or suffer! :whipped:

7. sennomulo

sennomulo Friendly

Well, that implies that the other Roman people are Unholy Romans.

8. Thorbal

Thorbal not enough ram!

Random nationalistic rant /on :D : It depends... economically speaking, Germany is indeed as important as China or India today... at least if you look at the GDP etc ( although that will perhaps change ) . /off

How they are going call themselves is really quite interesting, as it was a multi-national ehm... entity. Holy Romans would indeed sound a bit silly :lol: . Perhaps "Imperials" :p .

Being a huge HRE-history fan myself, I like the inclusion of it, but I can really understand why people are dissatisfied... it seems a bit redundant and you could think that Germany is included twice... but you could then say that the Dutch are included twice, as well ;) and in a certain way, the Czech are now included in CIV for the first time ,too, as well as the Austrians :) .

9. sennomulo

sennomulo Friendly

"Holy Romans" reminds me too much of the Holy Rollers from that Simpsons episode.

10. Florian

Florian Chieftain

Holy Romans, Batman!

11. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Chieftain

Lol i hope they atleast call themselves Franks or something.

"i'm Charlemagne of Holy Roman People" < GAH

12. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

For the 12443545657667878th time: the HRE did not include only the present day Germany nor just the germanic culture.

The fact that Germany is smaller than Texas but can list a ton more important people (Texas can only list Walker) should make you ponder on the sense of your statement... very close to nonsense.

13. Pangur Bán

Erm ... the Russian Empire didn't just include Russia, and the Kingdom of England didn't include just English, so what? Are you saying then that the Russian Empire doesn't represent Russia, or the Kingdom of England England? :lol:

Not really. Helping people get perspective on their Eurocentrism.:yumyum:

14. Onagan

Onagan The Dutch

Germany smaller than Texas? Texas has only a population of 20 million. and Germany has a 82 million.
    Even the Netherlands have 16.5 million souls.

15. Pangur Bán

That's true. But if modern pop were an argument for HRE and Germany, then Brazil would have four civs, China would have about 30 civs and India about the same. ;)

16. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

the game is still too "Westernocentric" in my view. if you make the HRE, you might as well make the Han, Tang, Song, Ming, and Qing dynasties for China, the Magadhan, Chola, Gupta, Mughal, and Delhi civilizations for India, and blah blah blah.

still, i'd like to meet the "Holy Roman people". that'd be fun.

17. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Chieftain

Holy Roman People? There was not a single person that was of "Holy Roman" etnicity, or throught of himself as "Holy Roman". Well, simply "Holy Romans" is much worse. Maybe they'll be Franks, or Germanic?

18. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

hmm... German - IC. sounds interesting... :lol:

19. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Chieftain

20. Tercio

Tercio Chieftain

To be historically accurate, the short description should be "the Empire" while the adjective would be "Imperial". That was the terminology used through the Empire's life when speaking to things of or pertaining to it as a whole. Otherwise, if just talking about one of its many components, you'd say the Moravian, Swabian, Milanese, etc.