1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

holy sites and just war

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Squidmaster, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Squidmaster

Squidmaster Warlord

I'm currently playing a cooperative multiplayer game with my objective being to win. Culture with the Aztecs. I'm only going to have one city, but I was able to get Stonehenge in that city. I'm not exactly sure how to proceed with my religion from here.

Obviously with only one city, faith generation will be at a premium. Should I plant prophets as holy sites in order to increase that? If so, when is the best time to do it, and how much overall faith generation should I shoot for?

I'm also curious about the Just War religious belief. That seems like it would be tailor-made for the Aztecs, but I am concerned that low faith generation may make using it more challenging. How much faith generation do I need in order to successfully use this particular belief?

Since were already here, I'm going to throw in one more religious question. I could choose monasteries, as my city has incense around it. I have 2 incense within workable range, and another 1 within my borders but outside of that range. Does the 1 outside workable range count toward the increase in a monastery would gain, and where does that game show up? Does a get added to the monastery or to the incense tile?

Thanks for your time.

2. MisterSaturnine

MisterSaturnine Warlord

Faith generation is aided by more cities, not fewer. City count doesn't increase faith cost, but more shrines, temples and religious buildings in more cities will help faith generation.

I think there are better uses for faith and better sources of faith generation than holy sites. The first two prophets are reserved for founding and enhancing a religion. After that, you're either using your faith for religious buildings or religious units if applicable, popping out more prophets for conversion, or even building an emergency inquisitor to avoid being converted yourself.

I really enjoy playing the religious game, but the only time I tend to settle holy sites is when I've converted everyone I feel comfortable converting and I've taken Piety for a Reformation belief ASAP. With the piety finisher, Holy Sites become gold and culture generators in addition to faith, so I feel more comfortable working the tiles.

3. Plumfairy

Plumfairy Prince

Monasteries add faith & culture to incense (and wine) tiles. So if a tile is too far away for the city to work, then monasteries can't help it to generate more faith and/or culture.

4. Squidmaster

Squidmaster Warlord

Thanks guys. It's handy to know how exactly the monasteries work. I've been playing the game for a while, but have never chosen that building as an option in all this time.

I realize that fewer cities means a smaller amount of faith. That is essentially the reason for my posting. Another way of looking at my questions might be this – if you only have one or a few cities, how much faith you actually need in order to be viable under the conditions I mentioned? How do you get to that number aside from the basic religious buildings and the grand Temple?