Honestly...

Arcanian

Chieftain
(See the attachment) Started my first game of Isabella, but I got the settings a bit wrong. Told myself "I'll restart if I don't see a natural wonder this turn."

T0 Mt Sinai. Guess I'm playing on Epic speed. xD

Attachments

• srs.jpg
    srs.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 922
That's why I love Spain. Enhanced religion by turn 15 if you pick +4 faith from NW. :lol:

I once got start with 2 NW, the whole game snowballed for me. Later on, found El Dorado in the middle of 4 empires on the other continent. Literally.

Shame it spawned next to a CS though. Starts like this are great for Spain.

Shame it spawned next to a CS though. Starts like this are great for Spain.

In the hundreds of games I've played, I can't remember ever once having my first city this close to a NW. Ever. When playing Spain (which isn't often), the only time I've even managed to get a NW within range of my second city, was when I shopped for it with many restarts. In my experience, getting a quick, early NW to take advantage of Spain's UA isn't just lucky, it's mind-bogglingly rare.

getting a quick, early NW to take advantage of Spain's UA isn't just lucky, it's mind-bogglingly rare.
But the same is true for any of the civs. Does Spain have a start bias which puts it near a natural wonder? Should it have such a start bias? Obviously, such placement would give Spain an advantage from the very beginning.

In the hundreds of games I've played, I can't remember ever once having my first city this close to a NW. Ever. When playing Spain (which isn't often), the only time I've even managed to get a NW within range of my second city, was when I shopped for it with many restarts. In my experience, getting a quick, early NW to take advantage of Spain's UA isn't just lucky, it's mind-bogglingly rare.

Yeah, but finding that first NW about 5-10 tiles away from your starting position will net you instant second settler (2 in case of El Dorado) to actually take that spot and ensure NW is yours. :D

CS getting NW first isn't problem. If your capital can reach it into working tiles, grab Honor, get free Great General and citadel bomb NW. ;) CS will become neutral again in time toward you anyway and you'll have powerful title. :D

I ended up buying a second settler to claim Mt Fuji, instant pantheon after locking in +16 faith for one turn.

Started a second Isabella to try to get another NW... I love my luck.
Turn 11, found out I was neighbored to the Netherlands and Persia. Domination victory pls. T17 Found Ife, founded pantheon next turn.

Feel free to also post amazing Isabella starts.

My current game, I am playing as Spain. I discovered that Russia was very close to the east and a couple of turns later, as I looped back to the southwest towards my borders, I discover Uluru. Sadly, the Russians found it first. My newly built scout went west and not too far, I discover Mt Sinai. Bought settler and founded at the foot of Uluru to prevent the Russians from getting it. It ticked Catherine off, but let's face it, we were always going to be enemies that close to each other. I have not gone very far, but just founded city 3 (Seville) next to Mt Sinai.

I think the case for the Spain is not the fact that its' rare, but that the balance is in how powerful it is, it's situation but I feel it is extremly powerful, not only do they get CASH high enough to buy a new settler, (allowing them to either early expand or settle immediately), but also allow them to recieve double the output (not to mention that if you take the Natural Wonder Pantheon that also is doubled due to their UA). So although it's rare, if you DO happen to be lucky, you are more likely to end up winning in my opinion.

That's why I love Spain. Enhanced religion by turn 15 if you pick +4 faith from NW. :lol:

I once got start with 2 NW, the whole game snowballed for me. Later on, found El Dorado in the middle of 4 empires on the other continent. Literally.

You described my last game with Spain. Got Sinai in Madrid (had to move) second was eldorado in between 3 AIs. I'll post a screen..:)

This is almost the end of game.
Spoiler :

Fountain of Youth is a great NW to get as spain. 20 happiness is nothing to laugh at on diety. Even if I had to go out of my way to plant a settler 40 tiles away between poland, russia and the dutch. Useless city, but the happiness took care of my happiness issues while my core cities grew tall.

Not Spain, but two NWs (fuji at top, sinai at bottom)!

Attachments

• Untitledd.jpg
    Untitledd.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 124
Top Bottom