1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Honesty and self critique

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Cedbird, May 11, 2014.

1. danaphanous

danaphanous religious fanatic

Emperor is fine without reloading in my experience. I can't ever seem to lose on Emperor and get most of the wonders--even early ones. Immortal this is true. Occasionally I will lose to the the RNG without reloading a critical point, but this isn't a bad thing--sometimes losing can be a fun change, or playing terrible terrain or situation. You don't have to reload.

2. Barbarism

Barbarism Chieftain

- Not building enough cities soon enough (By the time i got No. 2 up,the AI has 3 or 4,and at 3,they got 5 or 6) but hey,i always preferred developing my cities over spamming them ;)

- Lagging behind in tech and beakers (If i lag behind,usually because of further expansion/war :blush: )

- Not beelining certain tech's enough (Conflicting priorities on my part :confused: )

3. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

General aimlessness in my VCs. In my current game as Burma (from the More Civilizations crew), I started the game intending to go for a Domination Victory. But I've fallen so far behind in both Military and Science, that Domination is out of the question. Since I'm too far behind in tech, Science Victory is also a no go. I haven't been concentrating enough on my Great Works, so it's too late for Cultural Victory. So I guess I'll just keep mashing Next Turn and hope I accumulate enough gold for a Diplomacy Victory . . . again.

4. Memoryjar

Memoryjar Emperor

:lol:
    Some problem here. Mounted units are a solution.

I agree with danaphanous about reload. You can also move your settler if you are on a tundra tiles, and bad tiles around. Just be caution about barbarians (some T2 loose/chagrin quit for me).

5. Feurisson

Feurisson Chieftain

Agreed. It is kind of boring and I've tried to get out of the habit of not expanding much and not quickly enough. I tend to hardly find good spots though... and even get the modifer for founding new cities too "aggresively" :D

6. danaphanous

danaphanous religious fanatic

It was ages since the last time I played a small game. It is just way more boring. I like having land to work and cities to develop and wider means a longer time frame for this, not to mention killer science, culture, gold, and faith later once it all begins to come together.

7. Cedbird

Cedbird Warlord

Cool one day I will move up past Emperor

8. andreafin

andreafin Prince

biggest flaw not being able to step up to chieftain difficulty.
    next - i like to build everything. i want to build everything all the cities can build and all the wonders and you just cant realistically do that. you have to prioritise differently, skip some buildings, spam out a few cities rather than build a barracks and then an archer in your capital first that kind of thing. and while i do all this all the AI civs are running away with tech. unless i stick to settler. but no war in settler for me unless i start it or get dragged in by defensive alliances. every time i play chieftain i give up because every other civ is getting all the religions, and they are all getting wonders before i have a chance to build any and i need infinite superspies to try and stay with them on tech, and i think i am NOT enjoying being not just last but several laps down in this race and quit. but i have a secret weapon now.
    IGE mod beats nuke plus XCOM plus GDR!

9. Primacide

Primacide Settler

Instead of trying to build all the wonders, you can let the other guys build 'em and think of them as "the wonder that's mine in the future."

"Well thank you, me. How considerate."

10. kb27787

kb27787 Deity

Me: not knowing how to fight :lol: (srsly I suck at it... ZOC gets me every time)
    Not expanding (every spot I see I see the trouble that comes with defending it) often/early enough

Wonder-addict.
    Internal trade route addict (even when my empire is making single-digit gold I STILL would prefer my cities to grow)
    Freedom-addict. Even if it means Revolutionary Wave and making enemies with the whole world...
    Hermitage before public schools. Always. Culture-addict. (very frustrated if I don't have my hermitage.. the game seems to go too fast for my SP to catch up) Broadcast tower before research labs.

Planting all my GS in the game except for the very last ones in the atomic era, thinking of historical landmarks when in reality I don't even have WC control :lol:

11. Sephlock

Sephlock Warlord

Incredible laziness combined with an unwillingness to comb through ancient articles in chronological order, slowly piecing together which things have changed in patches and which have not :p.

That pretty much puts me into the same boat as you, more or less.

I always seem to be vastly outnumbered militarily.

12. jlim201

jlim201 King

Combat- I always have too little melee and when they get wiped out, :(

13. numbersix

numbersix Chieftain

Im with jlim201. One time had had 5 artillery stacked with no guards and they got wiped out in 1 turn.
    Also im a geography person so I tend to layout cities in funny ways. Always trying to build buildings while being attacked. Haha.
    I suck at this game.

14. andreafin

andreafin Prince

i am liking this idea very much :goodjob:

15. Chris3894

Chris3894 Warlord

My problem exactly it's like I don't think I need an army to fend off my invader who does nothing but spam units

16. Sephlock

Sephlock Warlord

Yeah I always think "okay, I can build my army, AFTER I add in the Monument/Library/Market/Colosseum/what-have-you."

17. beetle

beetle Deity

This describes the rut I am in pretty well. I always seem to waiting to war because I have one more national wonder to finish...

18. candle86

candle86 Prince

My biggest Flaw is my naval obession, It tends to cause my land armies to be neglected. I've had frigates before I discovered The Longsword or Crossbow.

19. Sephlock

Sephlock Warlord

Really? I find it a chore to bother with a navy- I always have.

This is a cry for help.

HELP ME!

20. Acken

Acken Deity

I tend to be too bold when stealing workers