1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Honesty and self critique

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Cedbird, May 11, 2014.

1. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

1. Picking liberty and not expanding past 3 cities.
    2. Obsession with certain wonders. I actually tried to challenge myself several times not to build a single wonder, failing every time.
    3. Inability to create a strong religion, which is fine if I was content with not going for one, but I do invest in it and then get a very mediocre religion at best that can't compete with others. With founder beliefs that net me little to no good, like ceremonial burial with 3 cities following that religion. Or interfaith dialogue without a good enough faith output to spam missionaries. OR...
    4. Create an awesome pantheon that's so spot on, it propels my early game nicely, failing to found a religion, getting the pantheon wiped out shortly after :(
    5. Being so extremely annoyed by (totally incompetent) carpets of doom, I can't make myself play past king, stack at often playing on prince creating artificial handicaps for myself in order to try to level the field a bit. Not going obvious beelines in tech, wonders, neglecting military, no worker stealing, no XP farming and whatever things I can come up with. Inevitably always becoming a runaway and exiting the game. :(

2. happyturtle

happyturtle Mrs GrumpyOldCivver

Back when I had the builder obsession, I made myself make a unit every other build. It's an inelegant way of solving the problem, but it really worked. I had options and opportunities with a bigger military force that I didn't have before, and now I have the opposite problem - I don't go for Wonders enough!

3. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

A couple more things I do incorrectly:

1) I never specialize my cities. Everyone talks about having a Production city, a Science city, a Gold city, etc. But I tend to just found cities and then build all the buildings in them. I can never tell when a city I've built should focus in one area or another.
    2) Lumber Mills. I never know when to build them. To me, it always seems to be more beneficial to just chop down the forest for the immediate production boost and then build a farm or mine on the land underneath it. Maybe I should start a thread on that topic.

4. happyturtle

happyturtle Mrs GrumpyOldCivver

1) I don't think it's possible to specialize in CiV. In order to get National Wonders, every city needs so many of the same buildings that they all end up mostly the same.

2) If your city is low on hills, you need to save your forests for lumbermills so the city has some production. Otherwise, chop chop away.

5. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

1) Agreed. I miss civ4 city specializing... :(

6. Abraxis

Abraxis Emperor

If I knew this, I'd be better.

National wonders are mostly just there to make sure tall civs don't always fall behind wide ones. If you're playing wide, and you're forgoing specializing your cities in favor of building everything everywhere to try and get all the National Wonders 100 turns late, you're doing it wrong. So stop doing that.
    You should be building your cities to achieve something though, they should inherently be specialized in your mind right off the bat. Like specifically shaped cogs in the great machine which is your strategy.
    Don't just build cities to have cities and sit back hoping they'll bring you what you need to win.