Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Commodore, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Azem.Ocram

Azem.Ocram King

I have pointed out Trumpist propaganda multiple times on multiple sites.

I have decried the actions of the US government and UK government.

I believe it hypocritical for any politician in favor of the Iraq War to complain about the CCP’s treatment of Uygurs.

2. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

I also love that Trump/Pompeo critics will fume at and reject their tens of thousands of lies, but
    because the allegations against China fit a pre-conceived narrative, they must be 100% true,
    no evidence needed.
    As Trump's legal twerps found out, courts reject cases that are brought with no evidence
    that can be examined and judged.

3. Azem.Ocram

Azem.Ocram King

I don’t believe Trump’s lies. However, I have seen enough evidence to form an opinion and come to believe that the CCP is committing cultural genocide against the Uygers. We already know the government is Han-Supremacist (racist) and started with approval from politicians involved with the War on Terror. The Republicans who decry the treatment of minorities by others are hypocrites, trying to score cheap political points. I have seen transcripts of speeches and interviews where they use racist language (along the lines of any true [insert minority here] should agree with me).

4. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

Oh, so it's "cultural" genocide now is it.
    Maybe you should advise your side's media to include the qualifier. They keep omitting it for
    some reason known only to themselves, but not you.

5. Joij21

Joij21 Emperor

Seems pretty sus. You are a Communist though, does that include Maoism?

6. Verbose

Verbose Deity

This is an English language website.

You want more languages from more countries reporting the same about Xinjiang, the Chinese state and the Uyghurs? That's not a problem, plenty of it around.

This is German public service television (in English) – except they have cottoned on to how China is now extending the camp-treatment of the Uyghurs also to the Tibetans. Bad times for minorities in China generally:

haroon and Samson like this.
  7. haroon

haroon Deity

Don't get distracted, Trump or Pompous don't have any correlation to this, you never drag them as references, he the one who keep dragging them in to the discussion so he can build a strawman for him to knock off.

When he blow his stupid flute, don't dance, he's playing a very low taste music.

If you able to announce his attempt to strawman you by using Trump and/or Pompous, he will build another strawman with Al Qaeda and ISIL, if you reveal that also, he will appeal to authority by using Erdogan, Sisi, Jokowi, MBS etc that they are endorsing to what CCP did, until we able to convinced them otherwise, we are on the wrong. He keep changing the discussion without any attempt to engage in real conversation, because he just want to be in the attacking side, this is a battle to win for him not an honest discussion.

At this point, he just doesn't give a damn, he just want CCP to be right whatever it is, this guy is cheating and dishonest during the whole discussion.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    Azem.Ocram, Gorbles and aelf like this.
  8. aelf

aelf Ashen One

What a word/headline salad. I suppose since there are militants from Indonesia and Malaysia, you'd also approve of the CCP 'de-radicalising' both countries.

You're a CCP imperialist. No different from the arch-nemeses you despise.

9. Samson

Samson Deity

Ten years to life for a sign

That Tong Ying-kit buzzed his motorcycle past a cheering crowd and angry police on July 1, 2020, is not in question, nor that his bike wobbled and crashed and injured three police. What consumed most of the 15 days of Tong’s trial on charges of inciting separatism and terrorism – the first under the territory’s national security law (NSL) – was the meaning of a protest slogan emblazoned on a flag affixed to Tong’s backpack and uttered by hundreds of thousands of Hong Kong people in 2019: “Liberate Hong Kong, Revolution of Our Time.”

Depending on which interpretation the three judges choose – the case is being decided by judges rather than a jury as is usual in criminal proceedings – 24-year-old Tong could go to prison for 10 years to life. They are expected to deliver their verdict on July 27, with the decision set to answer another important question in today’s Hong Kong: is shouting or displaying a protest slogan a crime?

From the start, western and even local law scholars criticised the NSL as being overly broad and in conflict with Hong Kong’s Common Law tradition. There, due process requires that the government clearly define illegal acts and prove someone’s intent for that person to be held guilty.
    Not so with the legal system of mainland China, where the courts are controlled by the Communist Party. Article 20 of the NSL states it is illegal to separate Hong Kong from China or surrender Hong Kong to a foreign country. A person who organises, plans, commits or participates in such an act is guilty. It gives no more details and leaves a lot to interpretation, which is where the judges come in.
    [EDIT] And now he has been found guilty, and faces a life of porridge:

The first person to be tried under Hong Kong's sweeping national security law faces life in prison after being found guilty on Tuesday of inciting secession and terrorism, in a landmark court ruling that is likely to have profound implications for the city's legal system.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    Ferocitus likes this.
  10. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

Interesting that the case took 15 days of argument, so it wasn't just an open and shut case.

A few days ago, one guy who attacked protesters got 7 years, the maximum that could be imposed.
    It will be interesting to see how much extra Tong Ying-kit gets for injuring police as well as his other
    offenses.

11. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

Nope. Not relevant to Australia. I did help out some Chilean "Shining Path" refugees in Australia
    by helping them start a housing cooperative about 35 years ago. Again, their methods are of no
    interest or relevance to how things work in Australia.
    HTH.

12. Samson

Samson Deity

It sounds like the court case was more like a case about the meaning of words rather than the facts of what happened:

To divine the true meaning behind the slogan, a phrase never made clear by the jailed young activist who used it at a 2016 election rally, both prosecution and defence presented witnesses, videos and text. They veered into an academic discussion of various disciplines and theories. Do the eight characters in Chinese refer to revolution as indicated by ancient Yuan Dynasty texts? Do they denote violence through elections, as one historian claimed in his interpretation of Malcolm X? Can the meaning be gleaned from the slogan’s use by the enormous crowds who shouted it or small focus groups that offered theories? Can it be divined by coded data or quantitative correlation? Perhaps the truth lies in theories of revolution, research into election slogans, crowd reaction, the complexities of English translation, semantics and theories of meaning.​

Ferocitus likes this.
  13. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

Awww, so hurtful :cry:, but at least you realise it's all about names and brand recognition.

Despite the rhetoric...
    At the same time, a space station built by China in Neuquén and used in the lunar landing in January
    2019 has been denounced by the US Southern Command head, Maj. Gen. Craig S. Faller, who told the US
    Congress last year that it could be used to monitor and aim at "US, allied or partner targets in
    space activities."

Preceding this increased collaboration, the Obama administration agreed to declassify tens of
    thousands of documents revealing US training at its School of the Americas and the arming of death
    squads under the Argentine military dictatorship that kidnapped, tortured and murdered thousands of
    radicalized workers and youth. The Argentine officials then became key advisers in setting up death
    squads that served the US-backed regimes in Central America until the 1990s.

https://en.mercopress.com/2020/02/0...military-collaboration-with-the-us-and-brazil

Maybe you should contact Marketing about renaming your side's Death Squad line of products and
    services. :grouphug:

14. aelf

aelf Ashen One

Called it.

Farm Boy, haroon and Gorbles like this.
  15. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

Mitigation was scheduled to be heard on Thursday. I'm not sure how long that will take, but it will be interesting to read what was offered.

16. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

Maybe the CCP were just being grammar commies because the politically appropriate slogan was:
    Rebellion for our Times, not Revolution for our Times. :)

Samson likes this.
  17. amadeus

amadeus Hey now!

光復香港
    時代革命

My Chinese vocabulary is only incidental, but 革命 means “revolution.”

18. aelf

aelf Ashen One

19. amadeus

amadeus Hey now!

I'm not used to seeing it like that. We use a lot of abbreviations so just 豪 is, in context, enough to figure it out.

I can read and kinda understand, but don't ask me to try and read it out loud! It would probably sound like gibberish. :lol:

20. haroon

haroon Deity

My Japanese and Uyghur friends speak with each other through written text. They use similar letters, it just one is simplified while the other is not iirc. Btw Aelf, nice show of skill ;)