Honor and barbarian

benk

Chieftain
hello,
What do you think of going to Honor and camping with archers close to barbarians camps (let’s say 4) to kill them, wait for them to respawn and win culture and money?
Thank you

Hello, taking Honor only to farm barbarians is only very rarely a worthy idea. There are much better ways to obtain culture. The culture that you make by farming barbarians will never pay off for itself because the cost for new policies increases exponentially. More importantly, the army that you use in this way is very badly used, there are much better ways to use an army. Scouting or just attacking somebody for XP over 30 is better. The best way is to rush to complete CS quests telling you to kill barbarian camps, so that you get 50 influence. If you manage to free workers for the CS you get an extra 40 and this means you can have 90 influence early in the game. So, the strategy of farming barbarians for culture can't be recommended.

However...the culture that you make by farming barbarians:

- does count toward City State quests, potentially helping you win their Culture quest
- counts towards total Culture output, making you less likely to be affected by ideological pressure of other civs.
- can help you get a fast Warrior Code (Honor 2) in order to rush attack a nearby civ.

The best ways to try the strategy that you are thinking of is with Aztecs or with Celts, who engage in wars for yields anyway.

Last edited:
And if you play on Deity, the AI will wipe out the Barbs in very short order, so there will be nothing to farm. They get huge bonuses against Barbs.

Ok thank you, I was wondering that killing something like one or two Barbarians per turn would have make the difference in culture and gold at the end. Because the amount of culture by killing units is also increasing along the way (don’t know the algo). +8 at the very beginning.

I didn’t make the count, but the investment is only four archers, early in the game, and it seems we save many turns to unlock new policies.
However, I don’t know the relative bonus compared unlocking Tradition or Liberty, but we can assume that farming barbarians with honors allows to unlock maybe three or four policies more.

I guess it should be combine with oracle and and any civ which get military or social military bonuses.

Why don't you try it, and report how you get on? You don't say what level you are playing at. That would make quite a difference. I don't see it as being practicable on the highest levels.

I'm presently playing an Honor game (Deity) in which I have kept up a permanent war with a City State since I stole a worker from them on around T25, and it is now T225. I have been training ranged units against them, including Galleasses, and I now have Gatling guns that are nearly maxed out on promotions. I'm also at war with three AIs, and the Honor finisher is giving a nice income from killing enemy units. It is very far from being the most efficient approach to the game, but I seem to enjoy shooting things :). Each to their own.

I mainly play in multiplayers game with friends. I am just wondering how it impact the mid or end-game against a Freedom/liberty player. My friend generall y unlocked Tradition to get +3 culture without going through other policies.

I am also thinking what should be the best build order with Honor strategy. Do I need monument ? Should I erase barbarians camps for getting influence with CS (but loosing culture farming)Should I unlock tradition to get even more culture?

I will try the first 100 turns with honors/ culture farming against an other policy. But I think that this strategy would come very powerful with extra golds or extra science with Nq mod...

Ah, OK. Multiplayer is a whole different thing. Most of the people who post on these forums seem to be playing single, so that is what I assumed. If you want to learn about multiplayer, I would recommend looking at FilthyRobot's YouTube videos. I seem to recall his advice for multi was to go Tradition and forget about the other trees. No doubt there is a bit more to it than that, but if you find the video you will get the whole story. And of course any advice you get is likely to be for the unmodded game.

Edit: this is the FilthyRobot video:

You should always open Honor first(even if you play without barbarians), then tradition and then you fill piety tree and select sacred cities as reformation belief. This way it is easy to win culture victory. In Deity it works 80% of time and on immortal 95%. after you fill piety you should go to liberty and take policy that gives you cheaper setllers. That is also the time you start to produce your first settler. I play with PC master race mod

Must make a huge difference to the game compared with normal!

Not huge difference.
Unique Ability: Steam Sales. 75% less unhappiness from population.

Unique Unit: The Ascended. Replaces the XCOM Squad, and is 25% off!

Unique Building: Gaming Shrine. Adds +10 to Food and Production yields per tile, +20 to Gold, and +50 to Science, Faith, and Culture.

I always have a few archers or spearmen roaming around to clip barbarian camps so I can get money. I use the money to buy buildings (once I’m able). Or buy a settler when I’m ready. I don’t do it for long but it’s kind of nice when I’ve knocked off some camps and have a couple thousand in gold that I otherwise would not have had.

hello,
What do you think of going to Honor and camping with archers close to barbarians camps (let’s say 4) to kill them, wait for them to respawn and win culture and money?
Thank you

It is not a good strategy, however on some maps there are so many barbarians you almost have to open Honor just to survive. In that case, open it early and you'll get some of your investment back. Also your scouts will survive a lot longer; that's almost enough reason to open Honor. I usually go Tradition opener, Honor opener, then finish Tradition. That's with raging barbs at emperor level. But the map really makes a difference.

I would rather kill camps for city quests and explore the map. It's a good set up to getting control of your lands. To just sit and farm a camp? Hmm.. if you absolutely have nothing else with your troops to do I guess. This idea is not a high priority.

I always go honour.always,goal is to reach full honot tree at around med time when big wars are constant and money is short.of course its also very good early for the 33 % bonus barbs and extra culture

The biggest reason I take honor first is because no matter how you sing and dance, Barbarians are everywhere. That 33 percent edge can really help when fighting them.

Top Bottom