1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Hope DOC can have a MP version.

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by cuximodo, Mar 23, 2012.

1. cuximodo

cuximodo Chieftain

just hope......

2. Sarius1997

Sarius1997 Chieftain

Yes, a multiplayer version would be awesome.

3. Leoreth

Leoreth 古典部の会員 Moderator

I have no idea how to do this atm, though.

4. cuximodo

cuximodo Chieftain

Something like the normal RFC MP? Similar?

5. Leoreth

Leoreth 古典部の会員 Moderator

I've never taken a look at RFC MP's code, though.

6. cuximodo

cuximodo Chieftain

It will be great if two friends can sit down and enjoy this brilliant mod, I'm doing some basic edit, but I heard that to have a MP is very hard. even the RFC MP mod is not a complete success.

7. killerkebab

killerkebab Chieftain

As far as I can tell the code is fairly similar in MP versions of RFC - just a few things have to be removed because they cannot work such as popups (this means no congresses, for instance). Not sure why...

8. Enfeathered

Enfeathered Chieftain

Bumping this, shamelessly.. :p Any chance that we'll get to see this? I might be able to contribute, although I'm not sure what exactly that has to be changed to get DoC working with MP ?

9. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

Tried hotseat?

10. Algor Mortis

Algor Mortis Chieftain

Quite awhile ago I managed to tweak DoC into a somewhat working multiplayer version. As I recall it was not that difficult, even though I have almost 0 modding skills/knowledge. I just looked at the small differences Rhyse had in his singleplayer and multiplayer versions and then made those changes to DoC. The majority of the game worked quite well, except for absolutely horrible Out Of Sync errors. My buddies and I had to abandon almost every game due to this, but I had the same experience with just plain RFCMP. I tried all sorts of hocus pocus to try and decrease the OOC errors but it didn't help that much.

Unfortunately I don't really remember the specifics of getting it to begin to work other than obviously enabling multiplayer for the mod in the config file, and disabling the mercenary system. I'd highly encourage some investigation into it though, because if I can do it I'm sure someone on this forum can do it, and much better.

11. Enfeathered

Enfeathered Chieftain

I actually have no problems with RFCMP; there's the occasional OOC-error, but they come quite rarely. I suppose OOC-errors are the biggest challenge when it comes to add MP-functionality to a mod, I have no previous experience with modding CivIV but have been coding a bit with C++ and from what I could gather by lurking around on the C&C sub here - it seems like making a mod MP-compatible is mostly about debugging those OOC-errors that will come up when not all data is correctly parsed inbetween players.

12. Algor Mortis

Algor Mortis Chieftain

This. I'm almost positive two people can right now just change the "singleplayer only = 1" to a 0 in config and begin a game. It won't last very long though.