1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Hope This is the Correct Category

Discussion in 'Alpha Centauri' started by noneya, Mar 30, 2020.

1. noneya

noneya Chieftain

Alpha Centauri Alien Crossfire added some interesting new factions, but HOW does a player get the game to include all 14 factions in one game?

Sorry to be dumb if this is already possible. Is there a mod link I haven't found?
    Playing on Windows 7 btw.

Also, how do you turn off the mandatory game end.
    Also, how do you know who won a game? I can see stats and charts and things
    but it is just confusing.

2. Robo-Star

Robo-Star Prince

The game can only include 7 factions in one game.

I'm not sure it can be removed completly, but it can be greaty postponed via Alpha(x).txt editing (ctrl-f 'year').

3. noneya

noneya Chieftain

Thank you for the answer.
    Is it possible to remove the "Yank View" feature? By that I mean, the computer jumping from area to area, unit to unit.
    This is extremely disconcerting.

To explain: computer brings me to a unit to command. I notice it is in an area that is going to require other attention besides
    commanding the given unit. I give a command to the unit, and instantly the game Yanks my point of view away from
    that area of the map, to a different unit far away.
    This gets very confusing and frustrating.

Isn't there a way to create a "visible area grid"? Within this grid, you give out your commands, and the view
    does not shift until you have indicated you're finished with that visible sector.

Id also like a way to defer the frequent notifications.
    I frequently find myself in the middle of a stressful situation: drone riots, mindworm attack,
    enemies in my territory, etc all at once, and in the middle of dealing with it, boxes pop
    up. For example, transmissions from other factions.
    Id like to force the game to defer these notifications.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  4. Robo-Star

Robo-Star Prince

Best I can offer is: do what requires other attention first, then give a command to the unit.

Notifications of base activities can be customized under "Menu -> Game -> Warning Preferences"; notifications of transmissions from other factions can be customized by eradicating other factions.

5. noneya

noneya Chieftain

Thank you.

any Mod people want to weigh in?

Curious......wouldn't it be less expensive to fix all the bugs and interface flaws in
    an old game, and Re-release it, than to develop a new game from scratch?

Robo Star, doesn't it strike you as strange that someone could not simply TURN OFF THE RADIO so that another faction could not interrupt important work?

I would LOVE it if there were a forum where the ORIGINAL DESIGNERS answered direct questions. I have seen excuses.
    Not our fault, the owners forced the release of the game by an arbitrary deadline, that is why
    there are so many bugs.

If a car company sells a vehicle that is defective, Federal Law requires a recall.
    So.....what is up with software?

Too bad the plague is going to wipe out all life on earth now.
    Would have been nice to see an America where it became cheaper and better
    to REPAIR or UPGRADE than to buy brand new imports.

6. Robo-Star

Robo-Star Prince

Legal issues make it abnormally expensive, iirc - the licensing and copy-rights (among others, no doubt) of code and artwork (among others, no doubt) are split between EA and Firaxis (...).

It never struck me as that important, tbh.

7. noneya

noneya Chieftain

If GOG.com can navigate legal issues then anyone could do the same to Fix a broken game....and there are THOUSANDS of broken games.

Even good games have Deep Flaws.

It never struck you as that important. Well....that is the problem.

Games don't appear to be playtested on a wide enough range of player types.
    Or playtested at all.
    Some people are masochists and enjoy frustration. Others want to get pleasure out of a game.

And Demos have vanished.
    Instead, people buy the game before it is even released? What kind of moron would buy a game without knowing ahead of time
    whether or not it is buggy?