Hoplite -VS- Numidian Mercenary

Ranger99

Ranger99's Going to NAVY?
I was just wondering what you guys thought about these two units compared to each other.

I personally like the Numidian, ill pay extra shield for another attack point, and the same defense rate.

Hoplite, no question. 50% cheaper and the same defense. I would never attack with a 2.3.1 unit unless I had to. I'd much rather have 3 Hoplites than 2 NuMes...

I can't remember the last time I was Greek, but I am guessing that the AI will be even less likely to attack three Hops than 2 Nums.

I would not be attacking with Nums either. Too expensive to risk like that.

Only own vanilla, but if I did own PtW, Hoplites anyway. Defensive units with extra attack are a waste of money. Attack with attackers.

Hoplites without a doubt.
If you have attacking units like knights, or swords, an extra defence point is nice and worth something because these units will get attacked sometimes.

For defending units an extra attack point is useless cuz they still wont attack.

Hoplite. At higher levels, they'll get attacked anyway to trigger your GA. At lower levels, you'll probably be able to redline an Archer or Longbow and attack with a Hoplite to trigger it. (That's about the only advantage the Num Merc has.)

eldar said:
Hoplite. At higher levels, they'll get attacked anyway to trigger your GA...

Yup, just happened to me. I'm playing Greeks for the first time and a Roman Warrior attacked my Hoplite fortified on a hill. Since Rome is on the other side of the continent, I attributed it to another AI bone-headed move. Luckily I had currency & literacy so my GA wasn't all military units.

BTW, this is my third Emperor game (1 win, 1 loss so far), it is my toughest challenge yet. I was defending with Hoplites while neighbors have Riflemen and Cavalry. :crazyeye: With a little luck I still might win.

Just to play devil's advocate, I'd rather face hoplites than NM. To often I have 1 or 2 exposed wounded elites that the AI will kill with NM. They wouldn't be attacking these if they only had hoplite. Aside from that, the price differential is too great to make the additional attack point worth it.

Hoplites are cheaper and defend just as well. I'd rather use that 3-def to ferry archers and attack with those instead of attacking with NM's.

Hoplites are much better. Numidian Mercernaries are extremely expensive for so early in the game.

Only advantage I see with NumMerc is that they make better Barb hunters than Hoplites, but still not worth 10 extra shields for that. They do disband for 2 shields more, though! :p

I don't build many spearmen, but when I do it's usually in an emergency situation. The annoying thing about NMs is that you can't build those nice cheap 20 shield spearmen at all. A spearman or hoplite can be rushed in any size 2+ town with at least 1 shield. You need size 4+ towns to do the same with NMs.

Numidian Mercenary, hands down. Not only can he withstand an attack, but when the enemy is weakened, afterward, unless its cavalry, he can move forward to deliver the deathblow. Besides, Who builds spearmen by themselves? I use catapults and archers as well.

If you don´t have iron or horses and your oponents are on top of you, num mercs are better, if not hoplite as advantage, but then again carthage is industrial and get more juice out of his workers...

:bump:

Seriously, 5 year bump? :faint:

Anyway, hops are better.

Top Bottom