Horn of Africa Spear Dudes (26 September 2006)

Plotinus

Philosopher
Retired Moderator
MORE African spearmen? Yes, but I wanted some specifically for the Ethiopia region. These are based on some of these images.

There was going to be another pikeman, but (a) I found I probably didn't need it, and (b) I was sick of making these. I actually had a lot of problems with these units and made a lot of mistakes, especially with the palettes. I have tried to iron out all the glitches - they seem more or less passable in-game...

Ethiopian Spearman

The hippo-hide shield makes another appearance. Get him here.

Abyssinian Spearman

His shield is made of elephant hide. Get him here.

Ethiopian Pikeman

Special thanks to CamJH for advice with the animation on this one. It was still incredibly difficult! Get him here.

[EDIT - 20/10/06] - I've done new Civilopedia icons for these units. Check out the downloads pages to get them.

Nice feeling to see some of the "dearest-to-my-heart" unit requests materialize! :)
Thank you, sir... They will be put to good use immediately.
BTW, judging from the previews: Great work! :goodjob:

I agree on that vocabularical annotation, Rob... :twitch:

@Plotinus: They seem good, but those pedia images could use more work (Assuming that the previews are what you get in the game). The first one has no shadow, the last has too much, and they all have weird non-white background patches.
For example, I think that the Abbyssinian looks better like this:

Edit: I also prefer if I don't have to open three new windows to get the units, you can post the direct download url instead. ;) Just right-click the download link, chose properties, and copy the url you see there. :)

I am basically rubbish at pedia icons. Only now do I see the pink miasma behind the Abyssinian! I'll add a cleaned-up version to the download page.

I have great difficulty rendering shadows in Poser. For some reason, I can't change the background colour from purple to grey. Every time I do it, it reverts back within a couple of seconds. As a result, all shadows in pedia renders come out purple and I have to try to recolour them, with dodgy results.

Thanks for the comments on the units themselves. As I said, I had a lot of problems with them and I'm worried they may still feature hideous glitches that got past me - if there's anything too horrible in there then do say and I shall try to address the problem.

Oh, and I couldn't call them "Spearmen" because one of them is a Pikeman. "Spear Dudes" was clearly the way forward!

Nice work on these, Plotinus.:) They look great. :goodjob:

Ah another 3-pack of again well done human units. Once the pedia issues are worked out it'll be even better!

Now all you gotta do is mix all of the guys from these packs into a single super-human unit!:crazyeye:

:thumbsup:

Top Bottom