Horsemen Strategy?

martyb36

Chieftain
Does anyone use Horsemen on Immortal/Deity?
I find i always do the obligatory archer rush, then either stick on what I've got or I'll do the chariot-->Knight rush to grab a bit more.

I usually find myself building a few settlers and some eureka/inspiration triggering stuff during the time Horsemen are the top unit. Knights become the dominant unit very soon after Horsemen so I never find myself using them.
Anyone got a reliable Horseman themed strategy (that isn't Scythia)? And is it as good as the archers followed by Knights strategy?

Anyone got a reliable Horseman themed strategy
I think it was GOTM22 that has one, that or a bit earlier.
To be good it must be fast so you beeline it with all your might, military trad and even consider chopping in the half price horses. They also benefit from a GG athough thats not on the horses path.

I have to say I (almost) never use horsemen either - unless need to make one for a critical CS quest. I typically do the chariot->knight and trade any horses I get for g/gpt to buy upgrades or purchase full production price items with gold while I concentrate on using production for units/etc. that I have a bonus policy for.

It's hard to get a fast horse rush going unless you get two of them. If you only have one the detour to Bronze Working plus needing the encampment is a real drag.

@Victoria cheers I'll check it out

@stinkubus very good point that's probably what slows me down, since I take the encampment to buy Horsemen with 1 horse. I'll check GOTM22 and see what they did but I'm guessing it's only viable with 2 horse start.

@martyb36 yeah GOTM22 has a 2 horse start and is a classic example where the fastest people rushed horsemen. I think lily lancer had over 20 horsemen. Its a bit like a sword rush but can be done faster and with the horse moving faster you can take a lot quickly with the right terrain and planning.
Its all about speed and encampments can slow you up.

Honestly I kind of avoid doing the horsemen, They are overpowered and with the current state of the game the AI is already easy to smash on Deity using the Archer strat. But then again I'm someone that can crush Deity civs all day but lose a game to barbs because they spawn 3 units each turn to my slinger every 8 turns at the start of a game T_T

Hmm....I hope I'm not an outlier, but I tend to build chariots before horseman (since they don't need as much prep.) They also upgrade to Knights. Horses can move farther, but seem to lack the punch a chariot/archer army (w/a couple melee units to take cities). If I am not on the winning end of things (already started to snowball...(strongest civ in game), I am not trying hard enough. Perhaps I should go up a level...I play a emperor (average).

I've just had an immortal game with Gorgo that employed horseman for a quick science victory. On deity horses become squishy too quickly, so normally, building two armies (archers/warriors) and then (chariots into knights) is a much more reliable strategy.
This time, horses were necessary due to a difficult map that archers could hardly manage and the second pair of horses was nearby.

But the problem is - how to churn out the horses quickly enough for them to be relevant on higher difficulties? Also horses are expensive (-2 gold) so its really hard to maintain maintain an army if you don't get Political Philosophy quickly. And even then, waiting for PP to slot the (-1 maintenance card) may bankrupt you easily (or alternatively, may leave you with no money to purchase a battering ram). And if you try to go for the battering ram in your second city etc, then it may come too late to the battlefield, or you may miss important boosts, or neglect your culture - and then be left with a very late political philosophy and a wounded and soon to be obsolete army.

Strategy as follows:
Start with a builder, into settler (research Mining, Animal husbandry). Improve tiles (boost Horseback Riding, Masonry) / boost Craftmanship. Research 1/2 Archery (wait to kill a barb with a slinger), finish Masonry.
Build 2 slingers (with 50% production card). Get the boost. For civics go straight to Military Tradition (1/2). Move out to Foreign Trade until you clear a barb camp.
Build third slinger up to 1 turn before completion. Then make a builder, also preferably leave at 1 turn before completion. Quickly hit the Archery boost and then start researching Animal husbandry (in the mean time, you can squeeze Pottery/Writing).
Purchase a (2nd) builder. Improve second horses. (Use your second city to hit relevant boosts, e.g. trader etc. monument...) Move builder back to capital. At the exact last turn to Military Tradition get the builder ready to harvest (forest in this case), set production back to slinger (now archer) at (1 turn remaining) - harvest.
Change Military Cards to (50% production for cavalry), set production to Horseman. (Also : use Gorgo's wildcard slot for +2 GG points. Getting this early Classical Great General makes horses relevant up to Turn 90-100 or so on immortal. (Note: if somebody is already going for a GG, either give up on GG points or be ready to closely monitor and purchase)).
Get builder ready for the third chop. Use the overflow to finish the 3rd builder. Use it for 3 extra chops for horseman (in this case 2 stone in capital and overflow from last chop used to speed up a cheap campus district, to boost state workforce). Quickly replace 50% production on Cavalry with -1 maintenance cards. Sell one horses to your 2nd neighbour for lump gold.
You are now at T30-40 and already have a big horseman army that can reach and conquer your first neighbour in a couple of turns. Hopefully you've been nice to them (e.g. sent a delegation etc) so they did not wall up (at least not all cities) etc.

Now the reason I don't normally like this strategy on immortal/deity is time. Its hard to do it in time without a scientific/commercial city state nearby. And I probably would not do it with a civ that has no wildcard slot (for a quick GG), or without hitting either an early Cultural City State or playing a civ that can compensate culture, like Gorgo or Rome etc. Going for an early encampment etc works great on lower difficulties, but is likely to be too late for deity. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom