HOT3 - Ottomans Deity (1.14)

hotrod0823

Deity
HOT 3 Setup:

Civilization: Ottomans (Scientific and Industrious)

Large Map
Land Mass: Pangaea - 70%
Climate: Normal
Temperature: Temperate
4 Billion years
Barbs: Roaming
Rivals: 11 all random

Difficulty Level: DEITY

Roster:

Hotrod
Aggie
Jack Merchant
Borealis
OPEN - A Non-Diety player or a Deity Vet winning to help 4 Deity Neophytes ;)

http://civfanatics.net/uploads3/HOT3start_4000BC.zip

Hint #1:

You are scientific - make sure you understand the "Nationalism Slightshot (tm - Architect).

4000 BC (0): With a deer in the city limits and a fish visable to the SW I elect to move the settler 1 tile west. This will do two things, get 2 bonus tiles in city limits and pop what could be a dangerous hut.

3950 BC (1): Found Istanbul and pop the hut, it is deserted. Start on Pottery at 90%, due in 36 turns. Building a warrior for scouting.

3900 BC (2): zzzz

3850 BC (3): zzzz

3800 BC (4): zzzz

3750 BC (5): Build warrior start another. Sending Warrior NW.

3700 BC (6): zzzz

3650 BC (7): Spot wines and a river to the NW.

3600 BC (8): There is hut in the mountains will pop it in 2 turns.

3550 BC (9): Build a warrior start another. Warrior will stay home to keep everyone happy.

3500 BC (10): Pop the hut and get a settler [dance]!! The question is where to put him.

Without being able to see too much of the map elect to keep him on the river rather than make a claim on the wines right away. One of the first settler from Istanbul will do that soon enough.

Send the settler 2 tiles east to the corner of the river, no overlap with Istanbul and what looks like a good balance of grasslands and hills.

3450 BC (11): Boarders expand, settler is in postion for next turn founding of city number 2.

3400 BC (12): Istanbul builds another warrior and starts a settler. Found Edrine, start warrior. Warrior levels Istanbul and scouting to the NE.

3350 BC (13): With Pottery due in 8 turns elect to start a fourth warrior now and wait for the city to grow and bring a granary online before starting a settler.

3300 BC (14): Istanbul builds warrior starts barracks as a pre-build for the granary. Spot a light blue boarder to the NW, it could be Abe. Pottery is due in 7.

3250 BC (15): Will have contact next turn. Exploration continues.

3200 BC (16): Edrine builds warrior, starts barracks for vet units. Pottery is due in 5. Spot another hut to the NE. Abe is met, he is annoyed, and is ahead by Alphabet and pottery and will not trade.

3150 BC (17): With pottery due in 4 start forestry at Istanbul to speadup the granary. Pop the hut and it is deserted.

3100 BC (18): Abe is sending settler our way. There are more wines to the NE.

3050 BC (19): With Abe being agressive decide too go with a settler now and granary next. MM to grow and build in 2 turns.

3000 BC (20): Research at 30% to get Pottery in 1 with +5gpt. Settler will complete next turn but could be swapped to barracks to get 30 sheilds up on the granary. Forestry will complete next turn as well adding another 10 shields. That leaves 20 more sheilds to complete the granary in 4 turns. Then start our first settler. IF we can afford to wait is the question. Abe has only NewYork but there are 2 settlers that just left his boarders. And the vast green will fillup fast - I think we have to get the settler out now then go for the granary next.

http://civfanatics.net/uploads3/Hot3_3000BC.zip

Hotrod (just played)
Aggie <==== playing now play 20 this round
Jack Merchant (on deck)
Borealis
Open

As a reminder: NO exploits, honor 20 turns deals, no ROP abuse etc etc, and no automated workers or long goto commands.

HINT #1: Learn and use the Nationalism slingshot (LK)

Not a good start position there ! Contacts may be slow in coming with us apparently on the periphery of the continent. Our scouting warriors should probably refrain from opening huts - getting them killed may set us back by half an age in the tech race.
I tried to make a dotmap; please be gentle, never made one before. Dark purple, orange and dark blue are priorities to seal off our borders. White dot looks tasty (is that a game forest up there?). Light green is a longshot. Pink and yellow can wait until last, we shouldn't get beaten to these spots. Black might be moved depending on what's under the fog.
If we were to get most or all of these spots, Edrine and blue dot qualify as possible FP locations..

I'd switch Istanbul to a granary, unless the American settler pairs appear to be heading south. It is obvious that we need to go to war with the Americans, preferably with horsemen. Our terrain doesn't look good for saltpeter, and even iron is doubtful.

Attachments

• dotmap.jpg
    dotmap.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 557
If u want a fifth player i'm in, got 4 PTW emperor wins but cant seem to beat deity.

Looking at dot map wouldnt blue dot be better on hill adjacent to wines. better for defence, doesnt waste 2 bonus grassland and instant hook up for lux. pink dot then moved 1 square sw.

Hm, didn't look closely enough - can't believe I overlooked thos two bg tiles ! I agree with swiftsure on moving blue dot, being closer to the capital will also help with corruption.

Swiftsure: Welcome!

Late last night I didn't have a chance to dot map the area. A couple things. Blue should be moved either to the hill or maybe just 1 tile south to reduce overlap with Istanbul. The yellow dot moved NE 1 tile, again to reduce overlap. And press the white dot 1 tile North to bring the wines online and cut overlap with Edrine.

I think the wines city is a priority to help with happiness maybe the White and purple to help seal the area and allow us to backfill at yellow and pink.

Any more comments on settler vs. granary? The Americans are out and about and look to be heading EAST but may send more toward our NW before we can get a settler to OUR wines.

Hotrod

There appears to be *TWO* different blocks of wines if I read the map correctly. Do you think America will get them both? Only one in critical for self owned luxuries - the block of two is a bonus.

I want to have the granary first. Otherwise our city won't grow fast enough.

EDIT: I want to suggest that we always spend 12 to 24 hours on comments after a new update. That allows us to weigh all the possibilities and identify errors.

No I don't think America will get both.

Pulling in the closest wine town soon will help with home grown happiness. Getting the second city with 2 more wines will aid later for trading.

The other concern is how far to the North or NE are the other civs.

Hotrod

You have answered your own question. You put a long delay for settler #3 without the granary.

Some Comments:

a) if the wines are on the river (which I think they are) I would have settled there.

b) Builds: finish settler and start Granary in Istanbul, use the worker to chop wood and speed the Granary;
Swap Edrine to Worker and use the Worker to chop wood and bring irrigation down to the Game-tile

c) as a general advise: don't be too afraid about some overlap. 15 tiles per city are good enough.

d) try to found 8 cities as soon as possible and build the FP fast.

Good Luck :)

Rowain

PS: all of the above are just my opinion and could very well be :smoke:

i think i'd stick with blue on the hill, yellow i'd only move if there was fish or whales under the shroud.

@ Rowain: Considered on the wines directly but was concerned with the 3 tile overlap with Istanbul. Maybe my old habits of getting very little overlap need to be broken down a bit ;). The worker is chopping now and should have only 2 turns left. Enough time to finish the settler and get a 10 sheild jump on the granary.

My concern is delaying the settler for the granary and allowing Abe to push further towards us. Getting another worker is a must soonish. The barrracks may be in the category of what can wait should (tm).

Thanks to all for your input :goodjob: I am confident that Aggie will have a good set of turns and we will have many other things to discuss tomorrow.

Hotrod

Originally posted by Rowain deWolf

a) if the wines are on the river (which I think they are) I would have settled there.

A better move with the wines - you could have settler one square away next to the river and irrigated the wines. When it comes to food grassland = 2, wines = 1, irrigation = 1. This gives 4 food, -1 penalty, and still 3 food. Wines are the bonus food tile that many players forget. Cows and wheat are obvious, forest game is often missed, but wines are missed by way to many people. A faster growth city is very valuable at all levels, more so at deity.

@Hotrod - be very careful asking for comments. You may get more then you desire.

Lee: point taken. If "help" gets to be too much I am sure we all will let you know. I recalled the wines from LK33, missed it then :).

One comment, as most people have said what I would have- we need to remember to keep our worker count higher than usual, to build on our advantage of being Industrious. After we get the granary, see if you can build a worker in between a settler or two, as we need to connect luxuries and improve tiles, as well as connect our cities for speedy travel.

It looks like Edrine will be a military city, and if I'm right, we need to build at least one more high-food city to help colonize that open space. If we can irrigate the wines, Blue dot would be ideal, and help us pump settlers and workers. The AI will out-build us in city number unless it's at war, but if we pay enough attention to terrain improvements, we'll be able to fight for land when the time comes.

Also- please, even if it means producing a warrior to 'follow' the settlers, make sure new cities have some sort of garrison within a turn or two. The AI, especially on Deity, loves to declare on you when you have empty cities, and often won't turn back later once it's sent troops.

I second Borealis comments! We can infact get another worker from Edrine now if desired. Use it to cut some wood and get our barracks online and use the worker get to those irrigated wines that much faster.

Alot has been said and a lot of options are on the table. I think Aggie has a few decisions to be made and so far a least we are okay. Getting a settler helped !

Top Bottom