1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Hotkeys wanted

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by CivFart, Jul 3, 2013.

1. CivFart

CivFart Chieftain

Things I want to learn (if possible) is how to set all cities to produce a specific type of unit by using a hotkey or by using any command that I am not aware of. I hate setting each individual cities to produce something if I change my mind and need to produce different units.

I also want tips for hotkeys, any tips you have got. :lol:

2. MarkK

MarkK Chieftain

The first part of your questions, can only, and should only, be decided turn-by-turn as the the game progresses. The only slight exception here is to "Mobilize" during times of war (which I never do). I much prefer to milk my various cities for all they're worth, turn-by-turn.
    Seriously, the AI uses formulas to stupidly set their various cities production. The same is true of their worker numbers, and what they choose to improve. You can outsmart them slowly turn-by-turn by carefully making these decisions yourself. Ultimately, that's the whole point of the game.
    As for hotkeys,
    http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3/reference
    There are 3 different downloads. I love the hotkeys, but also have to be careful... I can get in a hurry without a save and end up sending a valuable unit to it's death.

3. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

There is an option to have a city produce the last built unit (Spears begat Spears and so on). I think it is in the Governor's menu for a city. However, the Governor's menu for the capital can be used by all cities.

It can be a useful feature, especially if you have a lot of cities that just need to keep on producing units. Always War and Non Oscillating War type of games can find this tweak helpful.

It can be harmful feature, since once it is set it is easy to forget.

4. MarkK

MarkK Chieftain

Like CommandoBob says, "once it is set it is easy to forget".
    I strongly urge any player from using any "automate" feature of this game. You're simply allowing the AI to make bad decisions for you, and ultimately your opponents to catch up with you.
    Civilization has been designed all along to make you think about your next move; it's a large chess-board, with a lot of underlying factors contributing to the power of your chess-pieces.
    Play and think at the level that entertains your brain. But don't "automate".

5. MarkK

MarkK Chieftain

Why, when the whole point of the game is winning against the AI, would you ever allow the AI to make a decision for you.

6. T-mun

T-mun King Numa

The AI doesn't make a decision for you, it is totally unable to do so. Automating means you decide that you won't come back turn after turn and say "yes I want to build a swordsman, again". It's a tool. It does what you use it for. It's like when people say "the computer did it wrong", like there's nobody piloting the damn machine...