1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Hotseat coming to Civ5 in next patch

Discussion in 'News Updates' started by Moss, May 5, 2011.

1. CaesarSneezy

CaesarSneezy Chieftain

Lots of people have been asking for it. I've seen more people requesting this than any other single feature.

2. BSPollux

BSPollux Deity

I Like to play hotseat with friends. A cold beer, some gossip and fragging the AI... Its fun.

I agree that its nothing new, but some of the newest games are crap and some of the oldes ideas are still brilliant.

3. Johan de Witt

Johan de Witt Prince

This.

I have a few friends that don't like strategy games enough to buy them, but like playing hotseat games with me enough to come over and play a game or two.

Just because you won't be using it doesn't mean no one will. Apparently, they have gotten a lot of requests to put this in which means a lot of people really like this feature.

On a side-note, I used to really enjoy reading Civfanatics, but since the release of Civ 5 it has become tiresome. I really don't see why people feel the need to log onto the Civ 5 part of the forums if they only have bad things to say about the game. I don't like Shogun 2, I think the makers destroyed what was good about Shogun 1. You don't see me logging onto the Total war forums to whine about that game, I just choose to not play it.

4. Cilpot

Cilpot Pretentious Schmuck

Great news for the people who like to play hotseat!

I was hoping, though, that the secret surprise would be something that would affect everyone.

5. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz Chieftain

So all this is is like when you used to play on consoles and it would manually prompt you to hand the controller over to the other person (ie - player 2) - same sort of thing?

Player A ends his turn, gets up and gets a soda, Player B sits down and does his turn, etc.?

Huh....

6. LAnkou

LAnkou Breizh A Tao

i really would have prefer the replay

7. Aquatic

Aquatic Child of Surprises

Two things in hotseat's favour: 1) a lot of people would like to have it, and 2) as a single player it's sometimes fun and instructive to run more than one civilization at once in the same game...

8. oscogmo

oscogmo Chieftain

this is fantastic news, i stopped playing Civ V altogether because anyone who is anygood at Civ knows there is really only one way to enjoy Civ at its best and that is hotseat, nothing else compares to the experiance and when hotseat id added i shall play with mates every week

thank you for the great news:)

9. Lecksa

Lecksa Chieftain

Hot seat has something to do with that i just light my own seat on fire and it's burning there now? Stupid hot wankers seat, you just want connect and next turn disconnect because your starting place wasn't most perfect.

10. Civ4Brains

Civ4Brains imperfectus

mmmm, well for me this is not a necessary feature at all, but I guess it's good news for those many people who were apparently demanding it's inclusion. It's promising also that Firaxis are starting to deliver what the people want.

11. chrissifniotis

chrissifniotis GoogleCiv 2.0.0 coming...

Okay, let me preface my respounce by saying that I'm usually not as pious on things as I may appear, but I truely have had enough of this stubborn, baseless and unwanton behaviour.

Thank you for not answering my question. From this moment onward your opinion on the subject matter, in my opinion, is now entirely void and all your comments are hereby disregarded. Having said that, my own opinion is just as open to other people's scutiny, but only when someone actually answers my question; What exactly is wrong with Civilization V?
    Instead of spouting a comment that displays a general disinterest and provide absolutely no basis, please consider and answer the question fully.

I ask this politely.

12. sav

sav Prince

THinking about it some more, it would be an interesting experiment to play as every Civ at once, and see who wins. Would depend on how you play, I guess.

13. oscogmo

oscogmo Chieftain

hot seat is the best way to play Civ and that is a fact, its the only way to get the true multiplayer experience there simply is no other way to play, everything else is boring in comparison, if you have not played Civ hotseat then you have not really played Civ
    Hotseat is the only way the game plays as it was meant to be and you just can not get the same experience from any other way of playing the game, once you play with a friend hotseat you don't care to play it any other way
    thank you for finally adding the hotseat i am looking forward to playing Civ once again

i would say if you have not played Civ hotseat you have not played Civ at all your just wasting your time

14. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Super Moderator

You'd think that a basic multi-player experience would be a fundamental part of a Civilisation game. It's only been eight months or so since release.

15. CELTICEMPIRE

CELTICEMPIRE Zulu Conqueror

Ive been waiting for this for a long time.

16. chrissifniotis

chrissifniotis GoogleCiv 2.0.0 coming...

I love experimenting with the leaders! :)
    I'll be honest in saying that a number of Civ4 games I've played so far were experimenting in hotseat with playing all the leaders of a certain trait. I can tell you from experience in this; if you play a similar play style to every leader and, in this case of play, remove a trait from play by simply aplling it to everyone, you'll find that the remaining variants are the unique units and buildings, one trait and the starting positions; it's the starting positions that makes the difference.
    The starting positions provide the capitals with their beginning yields, I've observed that productive starts tend to lead to a likely victory, fertile starts are less likely to win and commercial starts doom a civilization in the early game, due to poor access of food and production. In my games of Civilization V at this point, this observation is just as appearent as a general rule, however the unique abilities do alter each beginning yield in sight variations.
    I've actually been attempting to redefine the Civ5 trait into logical Civ3/4 traits based on simply generalizing all the traits from all three games and mesh the appropriate Civ3/4 traits. A few civs have one trait to define them while most do have two; if you like I can submit some of these results. Once hotseat comes I'll want to try to actually pit similarly traited civs against each other and collate some results in much the same way I do with Civ4 leaders.

17. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

Hello. :)

It has been said many many times... and in most polite ways possible too.

1. Diplomacy and general AI behavior. The fact that they try to fix it in the patches (which is a good thing) is proof enough on itself.
    2. Incompetent combat AI. Proof? Really?
    3. Constant UI problems, bugs...
    4. Broken multiplayer, which doesn't bother me at all since civ is a single player game for me...

The 4 points that quickly comes to mind. 4th point I don't care about, but it's what bothers many people. As long as 1st and 3rd points are fixed (or constantly improved), I can live with 2nd.

What else would you like to hear? Would you like each point to be broken down and chewed bit by bit? There are plenty of threads with constructive explanation of Civ5's problems.

Good day. :)

18. civnoob13

civnoob13 King

That's incredibly disappointing. I thought they were going to introduce a new feature, rather than actually do something about what they said they were going to do months ago. I was expecting religion or similar, not this rubbish. Hotseat takes too long anyway.

19. Thorburne

Thorburne Centurion

Personally, I like using HS to play multiple Civs for a deeper game (and a little more control). I can give you a wider range of the overall experience.

Yup, that is it in a nutshell.

20. CELTICEMPIRE

CELTICEMPIRE Zulu Conqueror

Hotseat is a very fun element of the game, as you can play multiplayer on one computer, the only problems are diplomacy, and that they never get finished.