1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Hotseat: Would you actually use it?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by bite, Apr 30, 2011.

?

Would you use Hotseat?

1. Yes I plan to use the Hotseat function if implemented

50.7%
  2. No I don't plan to use the Hotseat function

49.3%
  1. bite

bite Unofficial Civilization Cartographer Moderator

One of the critiques of Civ 5 that I have heard many people talk about is the lack of Hotseat in the game. This has always intrigued me as I personally have not used hotseat in any game since the late 90s. So if it was implemented how many people would actually use it?

2. PRCouture

PRCouture Chieftain

I'm sorry.

But what is Hotseat?
    serious question.

3. TravisATWA

TravisATWA Chieftain

Basically its multiplayer where the players are all in one place. For example you and your friends would play a game and each of you swap the spot in front of the monitor for your turn.

4. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

I would probably use it eventually. Not a lot, because I play no multiplayer, but the great thing about hotseat is that there is also the potential to play multiple civs in the same game by yourself. I know someone who plays Civ4 single player games almost exclusively using hotseat. So he was quite disappointed by that omission to Civ5.

5. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

For me, it's useful when having a friend visiting without his own laptop. And of course you play your turn in sequence, so no clickfest when the inevitable war between the human players comes.

6. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

On ther other hand, there are some big challenges when making hotseat for Civ type of the game.

For example, whose world view will be shown when AI turn plays?
    How to handle AI interactions to the player, on their turn?

7. Jim Bro

Jim Bro Emperor of Quebec

simply put, hotseat rules for fanatics like us (and not for allowing us to play with all civs at the same time lol). i like to play my turn, then do something else while my bro is playing. it's so much better than by regular multiplayer play. we can joke so much about the game. typing in a few lines to your bud isn't that exciting.

however, when i played such a mode in civ4, it was only with scenarios not with full games (ex: american revolution scenario with only 2 playable civs).

i also admit i won't be using hotseat that often but i can say a couple nights of great fun are missed because some lazy designers probably thought of hotseat as a 90's outdated gameplay mode.

i only played once a regular multiplayer game in civ5 with a friend and he complained it was too long and now he doesn't want to play anymore :( and why would we play a multiplayer game with people we don't know?

i will never consider civ5 perfect before they put back this mode. i'm enough of a geek like that. i don't want to bring my computer to someone else's place. sometimes i wonder what game designers have in mind...PUT HOTSEAT BACK!

8. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

Hotseat is really just a basic function that ought to be included in pretty much any turn-based game. Imagine if a chess video game was released that didn't have hotseat? i.e. one could only play against AIs. Most people would say that'd be ridiculous.

I remember on the gameboy it was called "single cartridge" mp as opposed to multi cartridge. You pass the console around e.g. in Advance Wars.

Hotseat is one of the best ways to introduce a friend, partner or family member to the game. It makes the experience much more social. :)

9. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Hotseat? Unlikely because of distance concerns. However, I would play PBEM instead, which is sort of the long distance version of hotseat.

10. Marsoups

Marsoups Chieftain

I will play it. Used to play multi cIV with my gf. But CiV is just too much for her laptop, so really the only option is hotseat.

11. aatami

aatami Kuruth Urfarah, kuruth!

I would probably use it every week.

12. Keejus

Keejus Prince

I'd probably use it once or twice to play as multiple civs. I don't play regular multiplayer either, though

13. Thander

Thander Warlord

I would use it show non-Civ players the game. It's more interesting than a single player game with me just telling them what to do. By the way, I think a lot of people say Hotseat representing all of the omitted multiplayer options in Civ5. Instead of saying Hotseat/PBEM/PitBoss they just abbreviate it as Hotseat.

14. Jarakka

Jarakka Chieftain

Last time I played -anything- in hotseat was HOMM 3 in the 90's. (TBSs I mean).

I never thought people would still use it these days, at least for multi-player-uses. I guess if I ever end up somewhere where I won't have access to internet and have friends with me, I could use it. But that won't probably happen, so no, I don't need it.

15. bite

bite Unofficial Civilization Cartographer Moderator

this is a facinating discussion, there are some uses here I never thought about

16. aguds

aguds Warlord

Hotseat is great fun in Heroes, I have never tried it in Civ but I would really want to.
    It will probably take a day or two to complete a game - but bring beer and make it a thing sounds like a great idea.

17. Shurdus

Shurdus Am I Napoleon?

Tried hotseat in bts once and was appalled at how inconvenient a way of playing a game it is. I will not even consider trying that again, and would infinitely prefer to just play a boardgame instead.

18. labrynianrebel

labrynianrebel Warlord

I seldom play Civilization mutliplayer, but when I do it's always hotseat since I don't like online multiplayer much.

19. Psyringe

Psyringe Scout

Hotseat is great for people who only have one PC (not every household around the world has one PC per member), it's great to cuddle with your loved one while playing, and it's great to test things (strategies or mods). It's very easy to implement if planned for early (though it can be hard to add to a game where the designers never spent a thought on it). The only thing that possibly speaks against hotseat is that some executives probably think they can sell more games if people are forced to buy one copy of the game per player, but I think that'd be a pretty short-sighted way to look at it.

20. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Most MP I do is with other people who are quite distant. Civ V plays very slowly and hotseat compounds that issue by forcing you to wait ENTIRE turns belonging to other people instead of just part of them. It's a nice feature though and makes sense for people who have someone local as an opponent.

IMO there are more pressing needs for civ V, such as functional multiplayer over their internet setup and sorting out the compatibility between versions so that people can actually play each other (not to mention net code that allows a decent #players in MP).