Votes: 37 10.8%
  • Victoria

Votes: 44 12.9%
  • Wilhelmina

Votes: 15 4.4%

• Total voters
She basic.

The shade.

Eleanor is definitely designed to be a pretty pretty princess, and I don't mind if the devs blatantly acknowledge that they are piggybacking on Disney art design.

I was actually hoping her mechanics would be more menacing, although to be fair city flipping can be terrifying. She's fun though. If any civs were begging for this kind of Barbie model leader, it was probably France and England, given the high princess density in Disney pop culture (Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Beauty and the Beast). Basic but effective.

Sleeping Beauty
Isn't she German? :p

At any rate, Eleanor does nothing for me. I'd say Dido has it of the new leaders (though some of her mannerisms can be a little...frightening. You do not want to be denounced by her. :p ).

Isn't she German? :p

At any rate, Eleanor does nothing for me. I'd say Dido has it of the new leaders (though some of her mannerisms can be a little...frightening. You do not want to be denounced by her. :p ).

So the art design of the animated film is actually Belgian based on the unicorn tapestries. And the story itself is largely adapted from the Perrault version of the fairy tale, even though the original version was Italian. And the score is Russian. :p

But general consensus is that the setting is English-ish, especially with the retcon job that was Maleficent. Seems fair to me, given that medieval blah is usually interpreted as English and England itself was a weird mix of French and Germanic influence.

changing my vote to Kristina

So the art design of the animated film is actually Belgian based on the unicorn tapestries. And the story itself is largely adapted from the Perrault version of the fairy tale, even though the original version was Italian. And the score is Russian. :p

But general consensus is that the setting is English-ish, especially with the retcon job that was Maleficent. Seems fair to me, given that medieval blah is usually interpreted as English and England itself was a weird mix of French and Germanic influence.
I think I may have been basing my assumption on Shoomlah's interpretation, but I don't remember if she had a reason for choosing Germany or if it was just to be different. :p

I think I may have been basing my assumption on Shoomlah's interpretation, but I don't remember if she had a reason for choosing Germany or if it was just to be different. :p

Oh shoomlah. She so silly.

If I recall correctly, she retrofitted everything based around Philip's costume. The fact is that whatever the hell the dress was supposed to be it didn't exist anywhere in the world prior to 1950. So she had creative liberty to design it however she liked.

I will say that the hennins and houpelande that loosely informed Maleficent's design were generally a French thing. But again at the time everything was vaguely Angevin so anything from that period is kind of touch and go.

Wonder if Suleiman is gonna give Gilgamesh a run for his money for the male poll.

Wonder if Suleiman is gonna give Gilgamesh a run for his money for the male poll.

Total zaddy material. He's the understanding boyfriend who is totally okay about your occasional romps with Gilgamesh, as long as you send him vids.

If I recall correctly, she retrofitted everything based around Philip's costume. The fact is that whatever the hell the dress was supposed to be it didn't exist anywhere in the world prior to 1950. So she had creative liberty to design it however she liked.
Yeah, that's what I seem to recall. I mean, Aurora's dress was straight up 1950s America, so of course you have to look elsewhere for time and place. :p But I'd say it's fair to say most Disney films take place in ille tempore, regardless of what the film itself might claim for itself. Beauty and the Beast is probably the closest to being accurate to 18th century France (the animated film; the live action was just a trainwreck :p ).

Yeah, that's what I seem to recall. I mean, Aurora's dress was straight up 1950s America, so of course you have to look elsewhere for time and place. :p But I'd say it's fair to say most Disney films take place in ille tempore, regardless of what the film itself might claim for itself. Beauty and the Beast is probably the closest to being accurate to 18th century France (the animated film; the live action was just a trainwreck :p ).

I actually liked the rococo revamp of the remake. And absolutely nothing else about it. I mean why make everything gold and then make her dress...yellow?

I would agree that Bed and Breakfast is probably the most historically accurate of that ilk. Tangled is French/German/Polish. Frozen is Scandinavian mishmash. Snow White is German clothing on Hispanic/Italian architecture. Little Mermaid by necessity has to take place somewhere in the Caribbean on a Spanish island close to the Danish West Indies. :p

Maybe these are the dual leaders we should be looking at. Ariel leads Denmark and the Taino in Civ VI: Cash Grab!

I actually liked the rococo revamp of the remake. And absolutely nothing else about it. I mean why make everything gold and then make her dress...yellow?
I think Emma Watson had a hand in designing her dress, which might explain why it looks like a $10 polyester Halloween costume from Walmart. :mischief:

Little Mermaid by necessity has to take place somewhere in the Caribbean on a Spanish island close to the Danish West Indies. :p
That goes a long way towards explaining why Erik walks around with his shirt open the whole film. :p

Maybe these are the dual leaders we should be looking at. Ariel leads Denmark and the Taino in Civ VI: Cash Grab!
If they release Rapunzel leading Germany/Poland/France and she's actually voiced by Mandy Moore, I will totally buy it. :p

I think Emma Watson had a hand in designing her dress, which might explain why it looks like a $10 polyester Halloween costume from Walmart. :mischief:

And that is our answer. Because Disney would rather spend ten dollars manufacturing cheap merchandise than 15.

Also, Emma was spoiled by the Harry Potter franchise. Way too much creative clout for someone who knows so little about anything.

That goes a long way towards explaining why Erik walks around with his shirt open the whole film. :p

Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

If they release Rapunzel leading Germany/Poland/France and she's actually voiced by Mandy Moore, I will totally buy it. :p

......I wouldn't. (But I would pirate it and never tell anyone)

Eleanor is definitely top tier, especially the French version is probably the most (physically) attractive of the leaders in the game so far. And before you ask, yes I'm including both the male and female ones when saying that (and I'm bisexual)

Top Bottom