1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

House of Reps and Obama kill SOPA

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by choxorn, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Abegweit

Abegweit Anarchist trader

No. He's President of the MPAA. The revolving doors just go round and round.

2. wilycoyote

wilycoyote King

Or this is what happens when Washington thinks no one is watching and tries to pass crap like this. Then, the you know what hits the fan and everyone backtracks and says more discussion is needed.

3. Takhisis

Takhisis daria dance party

They were voted in by more fools.
    Reminds me of the Alex Shrub answer in Vice City after being asked why he raises taxes after promising zero taxes and pays the rich to dump toxic waste next to the poor: 'I'll take for fiteen minutes about a completely unrelated subject and then remind everyone that under my government Vice City's had 15% better weather'
    Yes, politics are always a small world.

4. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

wtf? :confused: That is steam's DRM. It's also why I've been boycotting them.

And about these laws: they're great! Because they finally make people start to see that the only way "piracy" can be prevented is through draconian laws. You can either have those laws, and hand over to its overseers the power to arbitrarily persecute anyone when they find convenient (because everybody will be violating them at some time), or you can drop the whole outdated notion of copyright already. Businesses were built around it and will have to be replaced by different ones? It's already happening. People didn't outlaw cars for the sake of the buggy whip makers. They tried, though...

The only "immaterial property rights" requiring legal protection are those of identity, against impersonation/deceit/fraud. So protect brands, protect names, that kind of stuff. To violate that falls under the much older notion of fraud anyway.
    But preventing copies? In this "digital era"? No way. Patents and copyright have outlived their usefulness, if they ever had one.

5. Bowsling

Bowsling Deity

Only a few Steam games actually need Steam to run them. Paradox games, for instance, can easily be run without Steam. For a Steam-based game like Civ V, they would likely be legally obligated to make them still playable, otherwise the makers of those games would get massively screwed over, even if you discount the pissed-off fanbase.

6. Verarde

Verarde Pondering Wearing A Hat

7. Takhisis

Is Ben Quayle of Arizona related to Dan Quayle?

8. Abegweit

9. wilycoyote

wilycoyote King

As the representative of my hometown district, I can say with shame... yes. But, he doesn't seem like an idiot from what I can tell.

10. Crezth

Crezth 話說天下大勢分久必合合久必分

Saying you're against SOPA is a subjective claim that is impossible to verify, but saying you're for SOPA is not?

So basically what you're saying here is that you are right, and even if you aren't right, nobody can ever prove you wrong ever, they can only prove you more right. Is that what I'm seeing here?

Why are you persisting with this? GOMtv employees and other individuals directly or indirectly sponsored by Blizzard have all spoken out against SOPA/PIPA!

I guess I'm just smashing my skull into a brick wall, though, as you have already stated that it is completely impossible to prove you wrong.

11. illram

illram Deity

If we drop the entire concept of intellectual property, what alternative do you propose?

12. Abegweit

Why should it exist at all? It has no benefit and, as this SOPA/PIPA brouhaha proves intellectual property is all about extortion.

Leave people alone.

13. Takhisis

14. phoenix_sprite

phoenix_sprite King

Methinks Obama stopping SOPA awfully close to the election time isn't by coincidence. :mischief:

15. illram

illram Deity

He does seem to be coming out and taking some token "liberal" stances, e.g., his recent shift on the XL pipeline. Although the indefinite detention veto would have been a pretty nice breadcrumb to throw out there, if that was his intention...

16. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

The blackout's over; Wikipedia is back up.

17. Takhisis

But it's worked, I'd hold one every week until all three moronic laws crash to the ground.

18. Archbob

Archbob Ancient CFC Guardian

Very few people would try hard or invest large amounts of resources to create or invent anything if we didn't have them. There has to be a large financial incentive for innovation.

If you invent something or create something(and your weren't paid by someone else or a company to do so), you(and only you) should have the right to make large sums of money from it for a limited period of time.

19. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

While that's true, current copyright law defines "a limited time" as "until 70 years after you die."

20. Crezth

Crezth 話說天下大勢分久必合合久必分

Citation goddamn required. I'm sick of seeing the same old tired talking points about how profit motive is the only reason people do anything. It's not, and people did all kinds of things before there was profit motive. I want to see this point substantiated.