1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

House of Reps and Obama kill SOPA

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by choxorn, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Cheetah

Cheetah Deity

Is it?

2. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

:yup:

Another (temporary) win :bounce:.

3. Antilogic

Antilogic --

These might be losses in the long run, if they are just waiting for the public's attention to be diverted before pushing it through.

4. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

Yes, it is. But the failing of the government is precisely that corporations have too much say in it, too much power over it. In other words : it's too weak compared to corporations.
    And even in this subservient state, it's still the ONLY thing keeping the abuse from corporations in check - and clearly it's not enough.

Making it even weaker and corporation even stronger means that the problem becomes worse, by definition.

5. Tahuti

Tahuti Writing Deity

Distinguishing government from the one who rules it is totally irrelevant, since the ones who control government are the government. Remember that the biggest servants of status quo are the voters, because they continually elect people who like to keep it this way.

6. nikosison

nikosison Chieftain

http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-v...-accuses-hollywood-of-threatening-politicians

The MPAA is just way to blatant. They make caricatures look tame.

7. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

'Donations'?? So they're basically telling the party machine that either they make them earn a lot of money from work they didn't do themselves or else they lose the money needed to run a campaign?

Speaks badly both of the RIAA/MPAA/CoC group and of the politicians who can' seem to get voted without millions and millions of funding.

8. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

Seriously, can't they be trialed for corruption attempt ?
    I mean, it's not even veiled at this point, so unless bribery is officially considered legal, I don't see how they can get away with it...

9. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

It has been creeping up, that kind of bribery, hasn't it? Becoming more and more shamelessly open as time goes by?

Thanks for the link, interesting video, using an interesting technique.

10. illram

illram Moderator Moderator

Lobbying groups don't give money to politicians who don't support their pet projects. This is how things work for every lobbying group, the MPAA and RIAA are not extra nefarious for this.

11. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

Isn't it time you start to rework a system that allows bribery as an official and legal way to influence lawmaking ?

12. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles uolǝɯɹǝʇɐʍ

this is why i suggest handing over the gov't to those lobby groups. they have control anyways.... at least we know who directly we vote for.

13. illram

Yes! Absolutely.

14. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

Well, then, Just do it© (I'm tempting fate by unlawfully using copyrighted material !).

15. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

Why would politicians willingly vote to end a system that gets them lots of money and political office?

16. Ceoladir

Ceoladir Come Fly With Me

Because it's the right thing to do?

Yeah, it's gonna be here for a while. :p

17. illram

So if I write a book and sell it, how do I ensure no one is copying it and selling it without paying me for it, without some sort of legal framework in place to guard against this behavior?

18. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

The fact that nobody is going to buy pirated media that they can easily get for free would be a pretty good start.

19. Abegweit

Abegweit Anarchist trader

Really? I have patents in my name. I have original research for which someone else owns the patent. The patents I have were obtained as defensively. IOW, they were stupid but the object was a threat - if you sue us then we can sue you back. The patents against my own developments scared my company. They could have destroyed my company.

Every company I have ever worked for has viewed patents as defence - as a way to protect yourself from trolls who will sue you for taking your product to market.

BTW, there IS a large financial incentive for innovation. Look at Apple. They have made their billions by repeatedly being innovative, bringing new products to the market. From the Apple II to Macintosh to the iPod to iPhone to iPad. They also failed. Anyone remember the Newton or (what was the name of that TV set-top thingey)? Being first to market is an incredible advantage and Apple knew this despite the fact that they have been trollish.

Same thing with the inventions that got patented out from under me. We knew that the really important thing was to get to the market first. So we kinda overlooked the ways that the statists laws could take us out even though we were the bestest firstest. We learned how to play by the rules. You can't afford not to.

20. useless

useless Social Justice Rogue

But it's the "statist" state that upholds patents