1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How a software company should treat their customers...

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by MaxCiv, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Albatoonoe

Albatoonoe Warlord

Fair enough, with what pros a non-protected CD would have, there would also be cons. It goes both ways, you know?

You do have a valid point, however.

2. Phoenix_56721

Phoenix_56721 Prince

I agree that Stardock has great support, I have only played the Demo so far but I love the game so I plan on buying it next week when I get paid!! But I think one of the reasons they have such great support is because they are a smaller company, and they are there own Publisher too I believe. The majority of the problems with support for Civ4 is that everything has to go through 2K games, and right now they are putting most of their resources into other games like Elder Scrolls- Oblivion. Does Stardock have any other new games they are supporting right now? (I don't believe so?) So imo I believe a smaller company like Stardock has an advantage over Firaxis. But anyway I love GalCiv 2, Designing your own ships is a blast cant wait to get the full version!!!!.....;)

3. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

Thanks for your kind reply. The only con I can think of is that it can be easily copied, but that wouldn´t make much of a difference, as "copy-protected" games get downloaded and copied every time. Were I live, there are shops that sell copied games with the crack included...
    Could you tell me another con? I can´t really think of another...

4. Albatoonoe

Albatoonoe Warlord

That was the main one I was thinking of. :undecide: But i have another one. If a player so decided, he can change the game disc his self and possibly give himself a "boost" in multiplayer. I have quite a few friends that could probably do that, too. Even thought that would ba problem mainly for MMO's, that could just suck.

I'm sure I will think of some other cons.

5. neriana

neriana Warlord

You don't need to do anything at all to the game disc to hack the game. Look at all the mods we have for Civ 4. And, yes, there are cheats for games like World of Warcraft.

Copy protection doesn't work, and it alienates honest, paying customers. It's worse than useless. Stardock totally is doing the right thing, both from an ethical and from a business standpoint.

6. rmill27

rmill27 Chieftain

All I'm gonna say is for those people complaining about these types of threads... obviously, people are angry with this product.

You want people to just shut up and play? When civ5 is released, if its broken like civ4 is, I'll have known Firaxis listened to only you.

It's from people who speak the truth and complain that get things done.. not from people who just accept the status quo and assume things can't be better.

I paid $60 CDN (this is alot of money for me, being a starving student and all) and I was very disappointed with the quality of play. Had I known it would play as poorly as it did, I would not have spent the money. I had hoped the demo's quality sucked because it was just a demo (perhaps my stupidity, but I trusted civ fully before the purchase). I used to hold civilization games in the highest regard, but now I will be thinking twice before I buy Civ5, if I decide to buy it.

And one thing Firaxis should note: almost nobody is pissed off with Civ4 directly. We're just annoyed that we can't play it as smoothly as previous Civs.

7. Perfect_Blue

Perfect_Blue Yume Senshi

Or for some people I suppose, at all...

8. MaxCiv

MaxCiv Warlord

Too late now. I had great hopes for Civ4 so I preordered it as soos as it was possible to do so. At least I learned a lesson from all this: never buy without trying it first or checking the community forums for at least a month after release.

9. Bongo-Bongo

Bongo-Bongo The Master

AvianAvenger: Do you actually know what you're talking about?

Everybody who buys the game is a customer. If nobody bought the game, then the chances of their being any XP's or sequels as there wouldn't be the money to produce them.

And you're lucky you've got all this money to throw away. Many people who will have purchased the games will be kids or students who have spent there hard earned cash on a product, that for many, didn't work when unpatched, and for the unlucky few, still doesn't. Do you seriously think that this is acceptable? If you do you really need your head checking.

I'm not one to bash Firaxis or Take 2, but I do think that the support for this game has been poor, and the state the game was released in, people have a right to complain, and providing they just aren't just having a childish rant, complaining should be encouraged, if we dont, how are we ever going to get the best products possible?

10. BlizzardGR

BlizzardGR Prince

I just want to say this: Stardock is the only gaming company i know of that offers excellent support. One of the last companies i had some respect until recently was Bethesda but not anymore. Their support sucks just as bad as most other game devs.

Stardock 4ever!

11. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

12. Commander Bello

Commander Bello Say No 2 Net Validations

"It is from their critics, not their fanbois, that software companies learn the lesson of giving good support"....

13. Veteranewbie

Veteranewbie Prince

They will be arguing that they shouldn't be playing if they can't buy
    It is a more selfish way, they're saying as long as you don't pay them, they don't want you to play the game

14. Older than Dirt

Older than Dirt King

We are not "customers"; we are suckers.

Civ 4 after 2 patches is still an unfinished product. Would you take your car or truck to these people to fix it? I would not even take it to them to get a state inspection or buy gas. I'd just go down the road to a competitor.

15. Rise

Rise Chieftain

I agree with maxciv i have practically no money to begin with so i saved upto get this thing on the trust of Civ's in the past & although i personally have minor problems that hinder the game but not stop it in its tracks.

The support this game has received is very poor IMHO what kind of company has no forum of its own to help customers & they rely on an fans site so they can save a few bucks. I'd understand if the maker's development team actually took alot of time to go through bugs with customers but i rarely see this.

Mined you i could be wrong as i have given up looking for this mysterious elusive patch that ive been hearing about since january.

As for priacy it can be a good thing if used correctly i used to DL some songs to see if i liked it if i did then id buy the thing. That alone has made me purchase over 100 albums which normally i wouldnt of bothered with so its helped them in the long run.

16. Kissamies

Kissamies Prince

For me, Civ IV is pretty much the poster child of worthless and annoying copy protection. The game wouldn't even run on my DVD drive until I figured out that I had to get new firmware. Meanwhile a pirated version ran perfectly. The lesson here seemed to be "don't buy the game, pirate it" until I got it to work. Other than that, the game's support doesn't seem especially bad for me, but people who are still having problems are the better judge of this.

17. Watiggi

Watiggi Deity

I have noticed that Civ4 has dropped off the top 10 list. Maybe these sorts of threads are the reason why? Maybe people out there are finally realising that the negative comments are hanging around and that there must be something wrong?

18. Olleus

Olleus Deity

If the game doesn't work for you then return it and you haven't lost anything. If you cant return it then go and shout at who ever you boght it from!

19. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

:rofl:

Nice!

As to piracy and support and such...

Anyone remember Activision? Their support model pretty much relegated them to releasing remakes of their 1980s successful arcade games. Their patch support system blew.

Also, a logical fallacy exists among artists of all types that piracy is a 1:1 match with lost sales, which doesn't take into account that many pirates would not otherwise buy the song/movie/game/whatever. For example, the assumption that if I downloaded a movie I would otherwise go buy the DVD (or a movie ticket) is a falsehood. Perhaps I would, but perhaps I'd just wait for it to come on to HBO, which I pay a nice monthly fee for. (Side note: I don't download movies or games. Movies hog too much bandwidth and downloading executable files just seems like a bad idea to me :D )

Someone that downloads Civ4 might have bought it otherwise. But more likely they wouldn't have. Either due to lack of funds or simply lack of enough interest in the game to bother. Companies that whine about piracy and don't release any "demo" of their game have only themselves to blame.

ie: I *might* be interested in Game X. I'm not sure though, and want to try it out first.

Option A: I download a free demo, play it, decide to buy it or not.

Option B: No demo exists, I download the whole game, play it a while, realize I already have the game and decide not to buy it.

It would have been fairly easy to release a "demo" version of Civ4 that used a slightly different database (rather than XML) to make the tech tree "static" and let people play only a limited while. It ALSO would have eliminated the "OMG THE GAME DOESN'T RUN ON ATI CARDS" issue.

While Civ4 runs flawlessly for me, and I love the game, it could have been handled better.

Also: Next patch?

20. Phoenix_56721

Phoenix_56721 Prince

Firaxis did release a Demo shortly after the game was released, and it was limited to the amount of turns you could take. Anybody could have waited to try the Demo before buying the game, I almost always do this myself before buying a game! I didn't with Civ4 because I decided if I couldn't run it I would buy a new computer, But I was lucky and it runs fine.

Here's the link to the Demo in case anybody wants to try it if they havn't already bought the game.
    http://www.civfanatics.com/news2/comments.php?id=589