1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How about a religious victory condition?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Drofd, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Drofd

Drofd Chieftain

Like when 66% of the pop followes the religion you founded and have the great buildiing for:cool:

2. jar2574

jar2574 Prince

too easy with current set up

3. potatokiosk

potatokiosk Deity

They'd have to make it so all the other religions must be founded as well.

4. cleverhandle

cleverhandle King

It seems like a cool idea in principle, but I'm not sure how it could be specified so that you needed to do more than simply spam missionaries to achieve it. I just don't think the religion system is currently detailed enough to make a religious victory strategically interesting. And I'm not sure I really want religion any more complicated than it is, either. Could be an interesting project for modders, but I think it would require a lot of work to do well.

5. DBear

DBear unbeliever

This would unbalance the game even more toward the early religions than it is already. It would also make the religious attribute too powerful.

6. Ultima Dragoon

Ultima Dragoon FIRE! FIRE! FIRE!

It would make the game too easy to win.

Although, crusades are a good idea....

7. Zoston

Zoston Chieftain

Not sure wether you knew this, but I beleive this actually is in the game, Firaxis just had it turned off. I'm sure that if you look around the mod forums you'll find one that turns the Religious victory condition back on. Though, the arguments by the other posters still stand.

8. Phoenix_56721

Phoenix_56721 Prince

I think there should be some type of religion victory condition in Civ4.

How about if one Civilization control all seven holy cities, this type of victory condition would most likely have to come from research and war. I think its possible to found 3-4 religions but not all seven the rest would have to be taken by force.

9. RED DIAMOND

RED DIAMOND Prince

Attached Files:

10. Dida

Dida YHWH

If we can make one religion battle another, for example, introducing buddhsim into a city will lessen the influence of christianity, then this will be a fun thing to do.
    In short, the total influence is always 100%, when your religion reaches like 70%, you win.

11. cleverhandle

cleverhandle King

That sounds like the right track to me, but then you'd still need to decide how it is that the competing religions in a city determine the "winner." There would need to be some kind of mechanic to it that has strategic relevance. One thing that might be interesting would be to have some concept of "developing" religions. That is, apart from their geographical spread, some notion of religions becoming more deeply woven into society through political events or through some kind of formal theological development that would in turn require the player to develop the rest of their empire a certain way.

It's all a bit too involved for my personal taste, but I could see some interesting gameplay coming out if it if it were done properly.