How about adding Italy as a playable Civilization

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by jsciv69, Aug 13, 2016.

1. luigilime

luigilime Prince

it would be interesting to have a dlc with just italy, two leaders (venice, florence) and a great people race scenario, with maybe a couple of wonders (santa maria del fiore, leaning tower of pisa, st. peter's basilica, vesuvius)
    this is a dlc i would buy

2. dunkleosteus

dunkleosteus Roman Pleb

It would be very interesting to see some representation of the Papal states. Not sure how they'd manage it at all though. Seems difficult from the perspective of a city state and near impossible as a civ.

3. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I'd buy a DLC with just one Florentine leader. But the more the merrier as well. Venice and Genoa are good candidates for leaders as well, the latter could add the Genoese Crossbowmen.

4. Metecury

Metecury Prince

I'm pretty sure they would go the same way as Greece and give Italy two leaders to underscore the fact that it represents the Italian city states int he renaissance. Florence/Milan and a maritime republic between Venice/Genoa would be likely candidates I guess a leader could get two unique units, one for the leader one for the civ. A warmonger and a culture/money leader would make sense with the civ being overall good at great people and culture.

5. Alexander's Hetaroi

Yes, I think that is what they would have in mind. What I meant to say is I would be so excited that I would even pay for one leader.

6. Greywulf

Greywulf King

I'd prefer Venice.

7. halfhalfharp

halfhalfharp Prince

I would like to see the Papal State rather than Italy, a common authority (at least religiously) for the peninsula. Though I agree Rome was not equal to the Lombardian dominated Italy. Those Italian states were mainly separate city states without a proper unifier to represent the whole "Italian peninsula".

And it will also bring up the issue how come each states in the Holy roman empire cannot claim its own leader. Europe has been political mess afterall, like a pot of soup with so much interacting ingredients.

I suppose I will be more supportive to the idea of adding them as City States in the game.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    Greywulf likes this.
  8. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

Medieval-renaissance Italy was one of the most important ad developed-for-their-era civilisations in history, and completely different from Rome. Italy and Rome can and should both appear in the similar way way Greece and Byzantium can coexist. Or to lesser degree Egypt and Arabia, England and America etc. Not to mention the fact how currently the game has Greece and Macedon :D

I would love Italy appearing in civ. I'd simply give it Greek treatment, which is widely accepted. One leader from Florence, another from Milan (Venice was in civ5! :D) with differing capitals and leader bonuses, rest the same.

For example:
    Unique unit - Italian crossbowmen or pikemen
    Unique building - Italian university (no idea what is their native name; coming earlier and cheaper than normal ones and providing science or culture boost depending on their adjacency)
    Civ bonus - Birthplace of Renaissance: each city state you trade or envoy with
    increases small, bonus, chosen yield coming from researching each medieval tech or inspiration

Florence bonus - culture projects of some sort
    Milan bonus - more military one

Metecury and Alexander's Hetaroi like this.
  9. halfhalfharp

halfhalfharp Prince

I would like to see Renaissance Italy too. It truly left distinctive marks on history.
    But unlike many eras, with rulers to push the wheel of history, Renaissance was instead pushed mainly by scholars and artists.
    It is hard to locate a ruler that was really significant enough to represent the Renaissance Italy.
    Well, except if we allow Leonardo da Vinci or Michelangelo as leaders.

10. Phrozen

Phrozen King

Plenty of leaders who pushed history because they were the ones patronizing the artists and scholars: Lorenzo di Medici, Enrico Dandolo, Francesco I Sforza, Matilda of Tuscany (A little earlier), Caterina Sforza (a smaller city state but she was neck deep in politics and was a fierce woman taking a castle and resisting a siege while pregnant.), Andrea Doria, Gian Galeazzo Vixconti, etc.

11. conorbebe

conorbebe King

I really want to see a united Renaissance Italy civ lead by Lorenzo de' Medici. I can just imagine his LA being something like "Patron of the Renaissance", receiving cultural and scientific bonuses in the Renaissance Era.

I really don't want to see an Italian City-State civ like Venice. Not only do I not see it working very well in Civ VI, I think it would be wrong to make Venice etc. a special case when other City-States can't also receive the same treatment.

12. Alexander's Hetaroi

I agree, especially even more now when there aren't any other city states that are Italian, in the current game. It might of been difficult to replace a lot at once. I agree a Florentine leader is a great start with maybe a Genoese leader down the line, or Venice if they want to do that again.

conorbebe likes this.
  13. The Kingmaker

The Kingmaker Alexander

This is something I've suggested as well. Two Italy leaders, new wonders (so many to choose from) and a renaissance scenario racing for great works.

Metecury, Krajzen, conorbebe and 2 others like this.
  14. conorbebe

conorbebe King

15. Alexander's Hetaroi

Me too! I'm also hoping for an Art Museum replacement: the Galleria which provides four slots of great works of art, some gold for each great work, and are automatically themed when completed. It would work well with this scenario as well.

conorbebe likes this.
  16. The Kingmaker

The Kingmaker Alexander

Has Italy taken Vietnam's place as the most wanted never-before seen civ?

It may be time soon for another poll. We can weigh Italy's popularity against other oft-suggested civs like Vietnam, Palmyra, Hungary, Ashanti, Canada and so forth.

17. Zatsukino

Zatsukino Chieftain

Don't forget the etruscans !

18. The Kingmaker

The Kingmaker Alexander

And there's always the Borgias to play the darker side of the Renaissance (opposite the somewhat more benevolent Medicis).

Cesare Borgia was the model for Machiavelli's Prince...

19. Metecury

Metecury Prince

You know what, if they include Venice id like it to have a warmongering spin, still trade focused but in a mercantilist aggressive way. Perhaps a unique harbour with extra gold from sea routes and extra hammers for unit production in the city plus extra adjecency bonus toward commercial hubs and industrial zones. Giving them two units, the galeas for the sea and the Schiavoni a Land replacement for the musketmen would help them with the aggressive expansion.