how about lifting limit on religions...

AxelRhodd

Warlord
Getting a religion established on Deity is not easy - even with Faith oriented Civs.
Occasionally I manage to do it but it's rare. I would like to see the limit of 4 religions lifted. It is really annoying to see my hard earned Pantheon replaced by foreign religion and have no ability to fight back. All my shrines become obsolete very quickly too :(.

This limit almost removes the whole religion aspect of the game when playing on Deity.

Any thoughts on this. Somehow I don't see how having no limit on religions would break the game so...
Cheers

I'm guessing this would be relatively easy to mod, but if you don't feel like digging through the game files you can just cut down the number of AIs in your game to match the religion limit.

Yeah I guess I could play with 3 AI civs only and guarantee myself a religion...
I dont mind diving in and altering XML or whatever it is these days to change the limit.
Anyone able to point me in the right direction/file?

The limit is kind of forced simply bc there are only X number of founder and enchance beliefs. If your religion number exceeds X, then you've denied at least one religion a founder belief and pretty much defeated the purpose of it. Also, you need to have some religiously neutral civilizaitons for religious civilizations to convert, otherwise there's no real way to spread your religion without angering someone. This is big for Founder beliefs like World Church which only provide benefits for followers in OTHER civilizations. That belief is totally nerfed if missionaries don't have neutral lands to convert followers from.

Plus anyone who adopted Religious Texts would just be even more unstoppable in that scenario.

No, peacemongerer. Instead of denying the "last few" religions a belief, the belief is denied by other means - like being denied that sweet flood-plain desert spot next to uluru on the coastal river with a nearby mountain within one tile, 2 fish and incense.

This "denial" may hurt but if there HAS to be a limit, how about calculate exactly how many religions can found + enhance total and make that the limit instead?

I would settle for that. In a game with several civs, the last civ to get a religion has no choice of beliefs and can choose whats left. Any other 'late' civs get nothing.

The limit is kind of forced simply bc there are only X number of founder and enchance beliefs. If your religion number exceeds X, then you've denied at least one religion a founder belief and pretty much defeated the purpose of it. Also, you need to have some religiously neutral civilizaitons for religious civilizations to convert, otherwise there's no real way to spread your religion without angering someone. This is big for Founder beliefs like World Church which only provide benefits for followers in OTHER civilizations. That belief is totally nerfed if missionaries don't have neutral lands to convert followers from.

Plus anyone who adopted Religious Texts would just be even more unstoppable in that scenario.

So, yet again we're given a completely arbitrary limit because the devs could not craft a resilient system?

- If there are more founder beliefs than religions, then you need more founder beliefs OR allow over-lapping beliefs (might be tricky with certain individual beliefs...but they can be tweaked)

- spreading religion should not anger an opponent (unless they happen to be theocratic.....an aspect that could perhaps be tied to chosen religious beliefs, or to governmental systems, if Civ ever lets us have a 'government' again).

- religion needs to spread more easily, especially as the game progresses. You should not have 'unshakeable' cores of religion (if that were the case the world would never have known Christianity or Islam, because Judaism was founded in the region first).

- Civs should be able to choose to be secular after a certain point in the game. This will preserve religiosity in the late game should certain civs choose to remain religious, while also allowing civs to 'early adopt' secularism should they choose (with certain benefits and drawbacks, of course)

I still hold that Civ 5 is rife with excellent little micro additions (like having religion spawning tied to faith, rather than science; having culture build up over time to provide benefits; etc.), but these are ruined by a series of gross failures in the macro systems (like global happiness and limits on religions) which burst the immersion bubble and remind the player 'it's just a game, with game-rules to be played by).

[...]but these are ruined by a series of gross failures in the macro systems (like global happiness and limits on religions) which burst the immersion bubble and remind the player 'it's just a game, with game-rules to be played by).

Yes the 'immersion' effect has been lost forever in CiV :(
Now, considering that we are playing only the first iteration of G&K, I can only hope that the devs are reading our comments and some elements of the religion aspect will be fixed or tweaked in the next patch ;)

Top Bottom