How "alive" is Civ 4?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Donut9, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Cletus2010

Cletus2010 Chieftain

I gave CiV 5 a chance. I played it non-stop for months, bought a few of the DLCs, and found it mildly interesting. Then I got bored. One day last fall, I re-played BTS for the first time in over a year and realized just how much better, more complex and intelligent (especially in diplomacy, espionage and religion) it is compared to Civ 5. I haven't played Civ 5 since. So IMO, Civ IV BTS is indeed the "Jewel in the Crown" of the Civ series. At least until a Civ VI ever comes out. Because Civ V (no matter how much they patch it) will never even come close.

2. Barney's_Soul

Barney's_Soul Warlord

I'm glad there's still people playing 4, which is still my favorite Civ game :D

5 isn't bad, but I never got that undying urge to play it then 4.

3. JesusOnEez

JesusOnEez Emperor

I just hope Civilization IV works on Windows 8. Or for that matter, whatever we're all using in another ten years or so. If it stops working, I'll be keeping legacy PC's around just so I can keep Civ IV going!

4. Capuqin

Capuqin Chieftain

Hahaha, too true.

5. mak54291

mak54291 Chieftain

There is more multiplayers than civ V. But there is only one new game or two in the lobby and I remember that some years ago, I could see something like 10 games.

6. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

Just to get on the bandwagon : to give you an idea, look at the date of the last posted messages.
    There is actually more activity in the Civ4 general discussion (despite it being an old game that has been dissected in every possible way ten times since years) than there is in the Civ5 equivalent forum (despite it being rather new).

I think it says it all.

7. mak54291

mak54291 Chieftain

But can you explain the total number of post?

CIV5 has a year, civ4 has 8 and the general forum of civ4 has only the double more.

8. duckstab

duckstab Child of Noble Family

I consider Steam and DLC to be minor annoyances, and I'd live with them if VI were comparable to IV in depth and balance.

I seriously considered upgrading my PC when V came out just so I could run it without serious lagging. But after trying the demo and reading the unenthusiastic reviews from several of the better players here, I decided to stick with IV.

If I had to pick one failing of V that will probably need to be addressed in any subsequent Civ in order for me to play it, it would be the conflation of strategic and tactical levels. Having tactical battles that span continents just feels goofy to me, and I can't get over it.

9. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

I find it a bit weird, to be honest. Civ4 General Discussion has more than 800 pages, while Civ5 has less than 250. It would require Civ5's thread to be twice as big on average to explain the smaller difference than expected.
    So either quite a lot of message are "archived" and not counted, or there is much more "short" threads in Civ4 than in Civ5 (though considering the guessing that came before Civ5 was released and the flaming that came after, it would not be that surprising ; but at the same time it would mean a lot of the content is just inflated filler).

Also, don't forget that there is more forums in the Civ4 section than in the Civ5, many of them huge (the Civ4 mod forum alone is nearly double the size of the general discussion one, while in Civ5 the general discussion forum is twice as big as all the other forums combined). The "strategy and tips" forum from Civ4 alone counts as many message as all the Civ5 forums added together.

It's another sure sign of the vitality of the game, when so many posts about the game fall into discussing strategy and modding, especially after so much time.

10. Ghpstage

Ghpstage Deity

I wonder how many of the posts on civ 5 GD forums are made up of people pointing out its failings and large collection of bugs or making rabid, often incoherent attacks on civ 5, or rabid defences of it, or just plain mocking it.
    Theres 339 posts in this thread afterall, as a side note I consider that thread to be the best thing about civ 5 :lol:

11. Akbarthegreat

Akbarthegreat Angel of Junil

:lol::lol:

12. JesusOnEez

JesusOnEez Emperor

Mostly through people talking about how crappy Civ 5 is...have you seen the length of the rants thread.

Perhaps more seriously, I may be remembering wrong, but didn't the Civ 4 forums lose a whole load of posts a few years back? Anyone?

13. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

But half of that, or more, is the RANTS thread.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

14. Sullla

Sullla Patrician Roman Dictator

It's also worth comparing some of the other forums here between Civ4/Civ5:

- There are more monthly Hall of Fame submissions for Civ4 than Civ5. The Civ4 HoF forum is also considerably more active.

- The Civ4 succession game forum has almost a dozen active games right now. The Civ5 succession game forum has zero active games and ONE POST in the past three months.

- Civ4's Game of the Month drew over 350 participants at its zenith. Civ5's Game of the Month has never drawn more than 40 submissions.

It's pretty clear that Civ5 has failed to draw the same community response that its predecessor achieved. Now that the newness factor has worn off, most people have realized which is the superior game. Once the DLC and patches trickle to a halt this year, I expect the Civ5 forums to wither away, while the Civ4 ones continue going strong.

15. bruntfca

bruntfca Warlord

Just look at the number viewing the Civ4 and the Civ5 forums. I never seen more people viewing the CIv5 boards.

Also, there's no mention of a major expansion pack or anything for Civ5, you'd think Firaxis would want to cash in on their "success", it does not bode well for Civ5 or the community really.