1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How are bararian spawn times in Gathering Storm for you

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Disgustipated, Feb 15, 2019.

?

How are bararian spawn times in Gathering Storm for you

1. insane

27 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. stronger than Rise and Fall but manageable

44 vote(s)
    34.4%
  3. just right

35 vote(s)
    27.3%
  4. I want more barbarians!

22 vote(s)
    17.2%
  1. jokii

jokii Chieftain

I had few games where barbs where spawning like crazy, every turn. After I clear barb camp, immediately next turn new barb camp is spawned, sometimes on the same position or very close. It was also strange because it was always only two hexes from my cities, despite the fact the map had a lot of empty space. I had three, four camps around my borders constantly re-spawning...
    I figured maybe barbs just got a buff in GS...

But now I am playing the game with Mali and it is different story.
    It is renaissance era and I still haven't see any barbarian unit or barb camp. It is a big map with a lot of empty space and barbs are turned ON in options.
    I revealed big chunk of map and it looks like there aren't any barbarian on the map.
    I am playing on quick speed with level 4 disasters. I think there is some kind of bug with game speed, barbarians and disasters... I also had disasters acting strange, where I am getting three floods in 8 turns, and blizzard every four turns, four times in a row ...
    Did anyone had some similar experience ?

Moderator Action: Merged two threads on same topic --NZ

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2019
  2. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

3. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Elite Quattromaster - Monarch (BTS) Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

No option for incredibly variable - a couple of games when they have swarmed everywhere and one where I hardly saw any.

Nathair and SammyKhalifa like this.
  4. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

I just started my first game last night, standard continents game on Emperor, and about 100 turns in, I have yet to see a single barbarian. I'm trying to figure out if this is a bug or what is going on. There looks like plenty of open land barbs should have spawned in, but there's none in sight. I can't figure it out. I even double checked to make sure barbarians were on, and they are.

5. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

My current game on archipelago map has a decent number of barbarians, about average for what you would see in R&F. So archipelago seems fine, though I'm not paying close attention to what land masses/continents they are spawning on. It does seem more barbarians in the South, but that's because no one has settled down there yet.

6. Onin

Onin Chieftain

In my experience, if there is empty land they spawn. Possibly more so if there are trade routes across that empty land.

I really like the way it is now as it adds a level of consideration for trading and settling.

One of the unintended side effects though is that it may really be hurting the AI more as their early advantage of units can be offset by them losing to barbs while for the player barbs are free experience, money, and era score.

7. Nathair

Nathair Chieftain

Exactly this. In one game they spawn so quickly that I never don't see barbs and camps on my doorstep, next game I don't see one single barb until well into the medieval era. I don't believe that degree of inconsistency isn't a bug.

8. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

I haven't seen crazy spawns yet, after several games.

But I'm now playing as Gilgabro with the hope that I get them.

9. Infixo

Infixo Deity

There is a bug (?) in the behavior tree Barbarian City Attack. It has a duplicated Barbarian Spawn Change node. No idea if this is intended or not, but I bet this is responsible for more aggressive barbarian behavior. Basically they spawn twice as many Tribes.
    It also explains why some people don’t see it - if you kill scouts fast enough this operation will never start and the effect will not happen.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    Victoria likes this.
  10. Tomice

Tomice Passionate Smart-Ass

Nice service to the community, doing all this research - thank you!

11. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

So what you are saying is, the people who have problems with barbarians are the people who will see more of them?

And if we want to farm barb camps, we should not hassle the scouts?

12. Infixo

Infixo Deity

@agonistes Yes and yes, assuming the problem is the node. Like I said - i don’t know if this duplication is intended or a bug. Can’t rule out the possibility that Firaxis wanted more barb camps to spawn, and this is a very easy way to get such a result.

13. avguy2

avguy2 Chieftain

What this doesn't explain is why in some games there are no barbarians at all. Not even a single scout. What's also weird is that sometimes camps instantly respawn on the very next turn.

Nathair likes this.
  14. Nuff

Nuff Chieftain

I have played about 4 full games, from start to finish since GS came out. My settings are Continents / Prince Diff / Epic Speed / Ancient start / Huge Map / Abundant Resources / Legendary start.

In 3 of the games I had constantly spawning barbarian camps, which was tough at the start but made for extremely easy golden ages. In two of the games it seemed that when I cleared a camp another spawned over and over again. Anywhere in the fog, even a minute space in between 2 cities borders. The third game I took out 5 other civs to make the mega continent mine, I basically covered the landmass in my cities and my resident city states, and the barbarians didn't spawn there again. They did on unexplored places though on the other land masses. One of the starts I had scouts at my city on turn 2 and they just multiplied on a crazy level.

The other game I did not see a single scout / camp / or barbarian ever for the entire game, even with the AI leaders taunting me about allowing barbarians to live so close. That game I took out another civ on the other major landmass, and with scout units I explored their continent, and not a single barbarian ever spawned there either. Was not as easy to get golden ages all the time as the other chock o' block barbarian filled games.

15. Infixo

Infixo Deity

Because „no barbarians” is not related to that at all.

16. OmegaDestroyer

OmegaDestroyer King

Just had a game where the only time I encountered barbarians was some time in the year 1600 when I heard the fanfare that plays when a camp is discovered.

That's it. I was really surprised, especially since in one of my other games I fought barbarians pretty much non-stop until the industrial era.

17. Kjimmet

Kjimmet Chieftain

Wait there ARE barbarians in this game? In my current game I saw only once a barbarian unit - in modern era and in different continent.

18. Dark_Jedi06

Dark_Jedi06 "Deus ex Machina."

Seems like whack a mole to me...I crush one and another spawns the next turn. Not really sure how it compares to R&F as I hadn't played in awhile prior to GS coming out. :shifty:

19. ShunNakamura

ShunNakamura Warlord

Like others have said. Variability. My first two games were fine. An average amount, but no big deal as long as you bust up their camps timely. My third game with the Ottomans I am doing nothing but clearing camps. Makes golden age easy at least. But I get a new camp popping up every other turn or so. Even if only one tile is fogged. BAM. Barbarians. To make matters worse my continent is a lonely one so that is going to be one long game of barbarian clearing.

Nathair likes this.
  20. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

I find they continually spawn in a small area. There will be blank spots on the map that never see a spawn and others where they repeatedly spawn half a dozen spaces from the last camp cleared. It seriously hurt the AI Nubia in my Phonecian game and pummeled Englanor in my Sweden game. I don't think the spawns are as variable as people think, they're just too concentrated in certain areas for some reason.

Noble Zarkon likes this.